Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    Why can't humans be Horcruxes? Dumbledore said making any creature a Horcrux was a bit risky, but if Nagini can be one then why can't Harry? And that might further justify some of his similarities to Voldie.
    Dumbledore said it was unadvisable, and Nagini was probably only made one out of desperation

ReputationRep:
    Snake minds/souls are much less complex and likely to resist than human ones anyway. Plus Voldemort has more power over snakes.

ReputationRep:
    finally finished book6. have got to say, was much more impressed with it than book 5. Plus i was nearly brought to tears with DD's funeral was being described- oh the shame, the only other book i've been close to tears with was The Lovely Bones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    I agree..surely Harry would sometimes act in an evil way because of Voldermort being part of him. It would be different with a snake though if we think along the lines of snakes and humans being different. Good point about Harry killing himself being too much in a kids book. It would be going too far, wouldn't it? I shall have to ponder some more over that idea...
    it would strengthen the reason for Harry being a Parseltongue though. Also the fact that the Sorting hat had trouble placing him in the first book. Plus, when Voldemort realised Harry was his arch-enemy, he would have realised that, by making Harry a Horcrux, it would put him at an advantage- in order to be destroyed, the only one who could kill him would have to be destroyed first...
    as for the kids' book idea, it is a fair point, but some of the scenes in the Half-Blood Prince were far from childrens' tales...

(Original post by priya)
    it would strengthen the reason for Harry being a Parseltongue though. Also the fact that the Sorting hat had trouble placing him in the first book. Plus, when Voldemort realised Harry was his arch-enemy, he would have realised that, by making Harry a Horcrux, it would put him at an advantage- in order to be destroyed, the only one who could kill him would have to be destroyed first...
    as for the kids' book idea, it is a fair point, but some of the scenes in the Half-Blood Prince were far from childrens' tales...
    All very valid points...

I like the arguments about the sorting hat and being a Parseltongue..they make a lot of sense. I can't help but think that killing the boy that so many young children love would be a mistake. Personally I think Harry being a Horcrux and needing to kill himself to kill Voldermort would be a fantastic ending.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather they killed Harry than Dumbledore and Sirius. Anyway, kids love gore.
    Harry wouldn't really have been able to resist if Voldie had made him a Horcrux when he was very young.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    Plus, when Voldemort realised Harry was his arch-enemy,...
    ...he tried to kill him. If Horcruxification can only take place after a death, which death would Voldemort have been using? Not Lily's, surely, since he then goes on to kill Harry. Not Harry's, because then why would he make the corpse of a baby into a horcrux? Not even Voldemort is that sick. It would decompose and stuff. Not a good plan.

The only way it might work is if he was planning to Horcruxify something else using Harry's death. But it goes wrong, Voldemort fails, (perhaps in dying he drops the item) and then is forced to throw the ripped bit of soul into Harry as a last desperate act before he's physically ripped apart. But then that would suggest that the scar (horcrux mark) came when the horcruxification spell (or Voldies's soul) impacted, and not, as we have been told, the AK impacted.

It might make a nice symmetry to the story and everything, but I can't imagine book seven ending with Harry killing Voldemort and then himself to finish the job off. That's pretty bleak. Harry dying (by choice) simultaneously with Voldemort for love or sacrifice or whatever, that would be a depressing but reasonable scenario, but being forced to die at your own hands would be heart-rending. (Not that children's books with disturbing endings aren't totally awesome, mind you)

I think if Harry is a horcrux, then there are some serious plotholes, or there will be some torturous explanations for how it happened, and I would be disappointed.

Incidentally, it occurs to me that since Sirius is dead and the Order have moved out of number 12, that entire plotline is essentially meaningless. If Jo is doing the funky thing where every little facet of the backstory is needed in the finale, then I expect the Black family and possibly number 12 have one last important role to play. I am more inclined than ever to think exploring the RAB thing will be good fun.

Oh, and the second part of the Mugglenet interview is up.

ReputationRep:
    she killed dumbeldore and he is far from being hated,I bet most of the kids love him and look at him as a wise loving heart,killing him was devistated,I agree I wouldn't be as sad if harry was killed,it'a like one of the characters they trust from the story

ReputationRep:
    The Order have only temporarily gone from Grimmauld Place. I assumed they'd be back there now that they knew it was properly Harry's and Kreacher couldn't tell on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepooos)
    hahahahaha, i would be so chuffed with that almost as chuffed as i would be if th eending is "harry wakes up and realisis it was all a dream"
    "Harry" she scream as he fell to the floor in a lump.
    Harry woke up. That scream, so similar to that of his mother's but it was not hers but Hermione's. But where was he? He looked around the pitch blackness of the space around him and dumbly said "Lumos" without his wand. After feeling around himself he recoginsed his location. His old cupboard cupboard under the stairs.
    "It was all a dream" he muttered.
    Rubbing his scar, he discover a spider on the top of his forehead and as he knocked it away the similar voice of his Undead aunt bellowed from the kitchen.
    "Up, Get Up...Now"
    Harry hurrily dressed and rushed out of his cupboard, he glanced at himself in the mirror to discover his eleven year old youthful face looking back at him.
    At that moment, the post came through the door and floated to the floor. Picking it up, he noticed the first letter was written in familar Green writting and was addressed to

Mr. H. Potter
    The Cupboard Under The Stairs.

The End

Now that would be freaky!

(BTW the undead aunt thing - I would think his Aunt and Uncle die in the last book while Harry was visiting him and Voldie comes knocking!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    "Harry" she scream as he fell to the floor in a lump.
    Harry woke up. That scream, so similar to that of his mother's but it was not hers but Hermione's. But where was he? He looked around the pitch blackness of the space around him and dumbly said "Lumos" without his wand. After feeling around himself he recoginsed his location. His old cupboard cupboard under the stairs.
    "It was all a dream" he muttered.
    Rubbing his scar, he discover a spider on the top of his forehead and as he knocked it away the similar voice of his Undead aunt bellowed from the kitchen.
    "Up, Get Up...Now"
    Harry hurrily dressed and rushed out of his cupboard, he glanced at himself in the mirror to discover his eleven year old youthful face looking back at him.
    At that moment, the post came through the door and floated to the floor. Picking it up, he noticed the first letter was written in familar Green writting and was addressed to

Mr. H. Potter
    The Cupboard Under The Stairs.

The End

Now that would be freaky!

(BTW the undead aunt thing - I would think his Aunt and Uncle die in the last book while Harry was visiting him and Voldie comes knocking!)
    dam! i just gave my rep away aswell!!!! that was really good!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gossip_girl)
    you remind me of luna honeslty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gossip_girl)
    Thanks.
    I am sorry about the grammer mistakes there.

I wanted to be a writer as a kid but music is my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darth_vader05)
    why doesnt he just make loads of that lucky potion! i think harry should have drank some when he went with dumbledore- his need was greater :eek:
    He had a choice. His life or the livies of his best friends and his girlfriend.

Noble choice really.

ReputationRep:
    APPARENTLY the last word of book 7 is 'scar'

ReputationRep:
    and as harry touched his forehead there was no scar
    or
    a yell went out of harry's mouth,as he touched his forehead,all of his friends were staring at him with there mouthes simi-open,as if the history is repeating it self,there it lied the prove that he was still breathing,the prove that he was through and through dumbeldore's man,the prove that he was again the boy_who_lived,another burning scar

ReputationRep:
    I know that JK has said the last word will be scar but i'm also sure she said somewhere that the last chapter was a sort of 'rounding things off' so showing what happens to everyone just after ( i might be wrong)
    So that would lead me to think that harry survives, since his scar is mentioned in the last line.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GengisKahn)
    I was more surprised about who the Half Blood Prince is though. I mean, who'da thought that *he* was it? I was really surprised (should I have been?).
    To be honest, his name was thrown around when discussing who the HBP would be. That as well as him being a vampire.
    What I'm confused about is that at the beginning of the book, it seemed as if Snape was reluctantly making that unbreakable promise which he fulfilled in the end. So, was Snape truly on the wrong side? Or was he just trying to save his own skin? Will he come back, but I guess noone would accept him anyways. I can't believe that it was Snape who told the prophecy to Voldie! We still don't know the real reason why Dumbledore trusted Snape so. Do you think we will find that out?
    On a side note, I hope that Harry gets to keep Fawkes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ventricles)
    I know that JK has said the last word will be scar but i'm also sure she said somewhere that the last chapter was a sort of 'rounding things off' so showing what happens to everyone just after ( i might be wrong)
    So that would lead me to think that harry survives, since his scar is mentioned in the last line.......

did she not say in response to questions that she plans to write at the end a quick something about after the books, where they are all heading (auror office etc. ). Scar in reference to this could mean anything, and probably does in fact. It wont be something obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Immortal Wombat)
    I think if Harry is a horcrux, then there are some serious plotholes, or there will be some torturous explanations for how it happened, and I would be disappointed.

Incidentally, it occurs to me that since Sirius is dead and the Order have moved out of number 12, that entire plotline is essentially meaningless. If Jo is doing the funky thing where every little facet of the backstory is needed in the finale, then I expect the Black family and possibly number 12 have one last important role to play. I am more inclined than ever to think exploring the RAB thing will be good fun.
    Yeah, just because there have been all this "A bit of Voldemort was left in you," people are taking this as huge hints – it’s possible but I think it's far too convoluted to make Harry into a Horcrux because after all this now means a part of him dies if he kills Harry. It is becoming more and more obvious that Harry is going to snuff it in book 7.

I think there is much more to book 7 than just finding out the Horcruxes and destroying them.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.