The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 12880
Xenon
Hey Sire! Welcome back man! We seem to be welcoming back the good old posters from before now that the new book's come back! :smile:

Hey Xenon, hows things mate? I couldn't resist making a return to post on this historic thread at least once after the latest book's release. Plus Padfoot has been telling me to make an appearance for the last 6 months or so lol. This forum is so different now though. I don't think I could come here for more than one or two sections anymore.
Sire
Hey Xenon, hows things mate? I couldn't resist making a return to post on this historic thread at least once after the latest book's release. Plus Padfoot has been telling me to make an appearance for the last 6 months or so lol. This forum is so different now though. I don't think I could come here for more than one or two sections anymore.

:eek: you are back! :biggrin:
Reply 12882
Sire

It's all good! Playing loads of football as usual and already desperately wishing the 7th book would come out quickly. It's not the same without the previous regulars posting regularly. You know, you're a legend on this thread, so any input is totally welcome, as are any of your theories after reading the new book.
I still don't fully accept that Dumbledore is dead!! I was too shocked to believe it! He must come back to life, somehow.

I remember Ginny liked Harry a while ago, so it's nice they got together.

I was so confused when I read this book as I couldn't remember the references to the previous books - the Order, Dolores Umbridge etc. It was just so long ago that I read the other books that I can't remember them well. (Apart from books 1-3)
Reply 12884
Righto. Here is one I've been putting some thought to.

The 6th of Voldemort's horcruxes could be the closet/wardrobe that Dumbledore pretended to set on fire. If you think about it, this was the very first trophy cabinet Voldemort had. It was also the storage place for the trophies he acquired upon first learning that he could do extraordinary things. You could also throw in the argument that he later found out he had become more proficient in magic before schooling than almost anyone else and that the closet was his only reminder of this miraclulous achievement.

Any thoughts?
Sire
Righto. Here is one I've been putting some thought to.

The 6th of Voldemort's horcruxes could be the closet/wardrobe that Dumbledore pretended to set on fire. If you think about it, this was the very first trophy cabinet Voldemort had. It was also the storage place for the trophies he acquired upon first learning that he could do extraordinary things. You could also throw in the argument that he later found out he had become more proficient in magic before schooling than almost anyone else and that the closet was his only reminder of this miraclulous achievement.

Any thoughts?

didn't dumbledore "force" him to return the stuff though?:s:
Reply 12886
visesh
didn't dumbledore "force" him to return the stuff though?:s:

But the cupboard was still there. Sire, post book 6 related posts on the spoiler thread please.
Xenon
We've been predicting that for a bit, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm assuming that Harry will leave pretty soon from the Dursley's house. For some reason, I've sort of gone off the storyline of the house being attacked. Maybe that's just because I don't quite see where it would fit into the book.

Although the books have seemed to hint that Aunt Petunia may have a part to play yet... "Remember my last"?
MadNatSci
Although the books have seemed to hint that Aunt Petunia may have a part to play yet... "Remember my last"?

Omg you're back! Haven't seen you post on here forever!! Or is that just me? :redface:
MadNatSci

maybe but i think that was just refering to his last letter - i think dumbledore said something about it in the 6th book
darth_vader05
maybe but i think that was just refering to his last letter - i think dumbledore said something about it in the 6th book

Yeah, but as something I read recently suggests - doesn't that imply there were other letters?
Eeyore
Omg you're back! Haven't seen you post on here forever!! Or is that just me? :redface:

I stick my nose in from time to time :smile: I got quite into the whole Harry Potter theories thing after reading the latest book though, so thought I'd have a look in here! It's very interesting...
MadNatSci
Yeah, but as something I read recently suggests - doesn't that imply there were other letters?

i think there were other letters. it'd be intersting to see what role the dursleys play, maybe they do love harry :eek: :wink:
but we still don't know what Dudley saw when the dementors attacked him in OotP do we?
Will that be extremely important to the main plot though, or just an interesting thing to know?
Tazzie:

could it not have been snape, he did seem to follow them around alot in the glimpse we got of them in the pensieve...or has he been ruled out?

We know that James Potter was in gryff., I THINK we know that Sirius & Lupin were as well, it seems likely, and Pettigrew was as well i think. Snape couldn't have been the fifth gryffindor boy because JKR said in an interview that all of the current heads of houses (and house ghosts) were in their respective houses when at school as a student. So Snape must've been in Slytherin.
OK - I have just finished reading HBP after trying to make it last as long as possible! lol. I haven't read all 48 pages written here so far, so sorry if I repeat anything but here's what I have to say about the book:

* The Characters:
For the first time in the books, I disliked Harry, Ron and Hermione's characters. Harry has become rude and disrespectful of his elders, even to Dumbledore! I was frustrated about the characters' inability to talk to one another. Seemed harry was silent for half the book. Ron and Hermione's lack of communication was truely irritating. I agree with other posters who have mentioned that Tonks and Lupin getting together was random, and that JKR has dealt too briefly with important issues such as love and death which in my opinion should never be dealt with as lightly as they were dealt with in this book.

* Quidditch:
When Harry was made Captain of the Quiditch team, I thought he'd be good at it, but when it came down to it I was really disappointed in him. He hardly involved himself with the team, had no enthusiasm and had no tips to give his team-mates...

* The Green Potion:
WHY did Dumbledore drink the potion when he could have thrown it away instead? seemed a stupid thing for him to do. It was bound to hurt him... a powerful wizard like him should have had other options and other ways of getting rid of a potion than drinking it.

* Malfoy's Task
Wasn't Malfoy's task to kill Dumbledore, or else Voldemort would kill him? well, seems to me Draco didnt complete his task.. does that mean he and his family will be dead by the beginning of the next book?

* Harry's New Search for Horcruxes
Seems to me Harry hasn't got enough knowledge or experience to find a Horcrux on his own. We saw how unhelpful he was to Dumbledore in finding the locket. There's no way Harry will be able to do anything to the level of great wizards like Dumbledore or Voldemort. He just doesnt know enough.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall, like many, I was disappointed by the book's weak plot, undeveloped characters and muddled sections of text. I was puzzled by JKR's sudden change in writing style. Lets hope she re-discovers her original style in time for the text book.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
SaccerZD
Will that be extremely important to the main plot though, or just an interesting thing to know?

Well, JKR implied it would be important in that mugglenet interview.
tweetsy85
Seems to me Harry hasn't got enough knowledge or experience to find a Horcrux on his own.

Indeed, let alone destroy them!
Indeed, Harry is going to have to learn a lot more about life and more powerful magic if he is going to find/destroy any Horcruxes or kill Voldemort, I just can't wait till the next book comes out, these are supposed to be kids books but the plot and everything is way to in depth for any kid under 14 to really understand..

Latest

Trending

Trending