Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey i know this is completely out of line but Asians are arguing as to why JK Rowling chose an Asian for Harry's love interest???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Righto. Here is one I've been putting some thought to.

The 6th of Voldemort's horcruxes could be the closet/wardrobe that Dumbledore pretended to set on fire. If you think about it, this was the very first trophy cabinet Voldemort had. It was also the storage place for the trophies he acquired upon first learning that he could do extraordinary things. You could also throw in the argument that he later found out he had become more proficient in magic before schooling than almost anyone else and that the closet was his only reminder of this miraclulous achievement.

Any thoughts?
    Maybe, I'm not saying it isn't. But do you really see Voldemort storing part of his soul in a cupboard.

Welcome back btw. Havn't seen u in ages

ReputationRep:
    Basically i reckon dumbledore cud easily have saved himself if he had wanted to, unless he was too weak to do so, but i think he was dying anyway and so pleaded for snape to kill him, and that dumbledore had told him to do this earlier, that's what they were arguing about before, snape didn't want to do it.

Also someone else must surely have seen this too, but slytherin's locket, obviously stolen by regulus black was in the black house, the locket that they couldn't open in book five, and i reckon that mundungus now has it or has sold it

Also regulus didn't just get scared, he actively turned against Voldie and so stole it, i think he was more powerful than we know

Snape is not a deatheater, dumbledore was quite obviously pleading for snape to kill him, it was uncharacteristic for dumbledore to plead for his life like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rpotter)
    Snape is not a deatheater, dumbledore was quite obviously pleading for snape to kill him, it was uncharacteristic for dumbledore to plead for his life like that
    Techinally he is as he has the Dark Mark on him and goes to Death Eater meetings. Even if he is undercover, he is still a death eater.

ReputationRep:
    ok, snape IS a death eater
    whether he really is evil or not is a different question.
    it depends on whether you believe if dumbledore IS really dead or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hedwig)
    ok, snape IS a death eater
    whether he really is evil or not is a different question.
    it depends on whether you believe if dumbledore IS really dead or not
    Dumbledore is dead. Remember that we went through this when she killed off Sirius in the last one. The only thing we really have connecting us to Dumbledore know is his portrait in his office.

ReputationRep:
    I had a different screenname before - PR1
    I hope that all of your are quite well, and I wanted to know what some of you thought about the last book. I have some ideas and I wanted to run some of them by you.

My theory -
    Harry is, himself, a horcrux. I'm sure that others have theorized the same, but that was the instant conclusion that I came to. So, in order for V. to die, so must Harry. I still think that Neville will kill V., but only after Harry dies, leaving no more horcruxes. Questions, comments, cries of outrage, and editorial rebuttals are welcome. What's the current general opinion as to that theory? I haven't read a thing yet from any blogs or forums.

PS - it's great to read some of your posts again and to see the old names...
    PPS - I was right - love was the power that the "Dark Lord knows not"

ReputationRep:
    a
    (Original post by PR12)
    I had a different screenname before - PR1
    I hope that all of your are quite well, and I wanted to know what some of you thought about the last book. I have some ideas and I wanted to run some of them by you.

My theory -
    Harry is, himself, a horcrux. I'm sure that others have theorized the same, but that was the instant conclusion that I came to. So, in order for V. to die, so must Harry. I still think that Neville will kill V., but only after Harry dies, leaving no more horcruxes. Questions, comments, cries of outrage, and editorial rebuttals are welcome. What's the current general opinion as to that theory? I haven't read a thing yet from any blogs or forums.

PS - it's great to read some of your posts again and to see the old names...
    PPS - I was right - love was the power that the "Dark Lord knows not"
    Good theory (Yes it has been said before) but I think I can dissprove it.

Firstly, the prophecy states that 'one will have to die at the hand of the other.' If we see the prophecy as true, Harry will not be able to kill himself since Vmort would not be killing him and Harry had not yet killed Vmort.
    In addition Harry could not kill Vmort before killing imself (If he is a horcrux) since DD stated the soul part residing in Vmort's body has to be the last part attacked.

Secondly, if Harry was a horcrux, it is v.likely he would know. As DD says, living horcruxes are tricky to create since the hosts know about the soul inside them. He was talking about nagini, so it is safe to assume Harry will also know if he has a part of Vmort's soul in him.

Sorry about the long winded post! welcome back . By all means peoplepost oinions to try and disprove this.

ReputationRep:
    oh, yeah. one more thing i forgot - and this is just a pet theory of mine. I don't think we've seen the last of Black and Dumbledore. B4 he fell behind the curtain, Black gave HArry a magic mirror so Harry can communicate with Black while HArry was in school. HArry still has that mirror and, presumably, so does Black. I think we should be looking forward to some beyond the veil communication btwn harry and dumbledore and black. just my opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feeling good)
    Good theory (Yes it has been said before) but I think I can dissprove it.

Firstly, the prophecy states that 'one will have to die at the hand of the other.' If we see the prophecy as true, Harry will not be able to kill himself since Vmort would not be killing him and Harry had not yet killed Vmort.
    In addition Harry could not kill Vmort before killing imself (If he is a horcrux) since DD stated the soul part residing in Vmort's body has to be the last part attacked.

Secondly, if Harry was a horcrux, it is v.likely he would know. As DD says, living horcruxes are tricky to create since the hosts know about the soul inside them. He was talking about nagini, so it is safe to assume Harry will also know if he has a part of Vmort's soul in him.

Sorry bout the long winded post! welcome back

I still think that the prophecy refers to either Neville or Harry. SO, if V. kills Harry, V. loses his last horcrux. Neville may then kill V. Just a theory, but I don't really think that at this point it can be "disproved." V. did kill 2 wizards (a killing being a requirement to create a horcrux) b4 putting all his energy into trying to kill harry. At this point, we don't know enough about how a horcrux is created, etc. to judge dispositively, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PR12)
    I still think that the prophecy refers to either Neville or Harry. SO, if V. kills Harry, he loses his last horcrux. Neville may then kill V. Just a theory, but I don't reallyu think that at this point it can be "disproved." V. did kill 2 wizards ( a killing being a requirement to create a horcrux) b4 putting all his energy into trying to kill harry. At this point, we don't know enough about how a horcrux is created, etc. to judge.
    DD believes that and shows that in OOTP the prohecy is either referring to Harry or Neville, and deduces hhow it is Harry.
    About the mirrors, read the last couple of OOTP chapters again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feeling good)
    DD believes that and shows that in OOTP the prohecy is either referring to Harry or Neville, and deduces hhow it is Harry.
    About the mirrors, read the last couple of OOTP chapters again.

can't read them again - lent the book out and it is gone.
    pr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PR12)
    pr
    Basically, Harry tried using the mirror to contact Sirius at the end of OOTP, but it didn't work. However, since we don't know what's behind the veil, we don't know if Sirius is gone or not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PR12)
    pr
    PR!!! i remember you. it was your habit of leaving you intials i assume (PR) at the bottom of your posts. This eventually led to my creating of my login name. CR3. so anyway. i just finished the bok about 2 min ago and im very intrigued. FIRST OF ALL WHO THE HELL IS R.A.B?? Its killing me from the inside out. Second, the harry as a horcruz idea , as you may have seen i initially brought up some pages back, just seems a little crazy because i dont see a way in that harry could die and kill the last living part of LV (which needs to be killed last) Now, about the animal/human as a horcrux idea. Any ideas as to why you think DD ruled out Nagini after his inital thoughts. Not quite sure. But on a closing note and a much less important, the portait of DD. When will it appear? What will it be capable of speaking? Will it be of any importance to the rest of the charcaters or the plot in the next book.

CR

-and is it just me or does anyone think that the begining of book 7 is not going to be the same. i cant htink of what its going to be like. hectic...

if harry is a hocrux,maybe thats why he was used to revive Voldy in book 4?

ReputationRep:
    guys, i have an interesting point to make here. for some strange reason, i still trust that snape is not bad. i know i know, he killed DD, its the icing on the cake, yes i kno all that junk. But anyone else find it very odd that DD sounded like he was begging for his life before snape killed him. I dont understand why his tone and attitude had suddenly changed from when malfoy and the death eaters were there and once snape had showed up. As you could tell DD is not one to beg for his life, he remained calm while surrounded by death eaters and he has even said that things are woprse than physical pain and death. I just dont believe that DD was begging for snape not to kill him (severus...please..blah blah). it seemed to me almost like a message or a favor. feel free to yell at me for trusting snape if you must.

CR

PS-he still dislikes harry obviously, im not that insane (but why did he scream NO! at haRRY towards the end right as harry was chanting that curse)

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=PR12]I still think that the prophecy refers to either Neville or Harry. SO, if V. kills Harry, V. loses his last horcrux. Neville may then kill V. QUOTE]

I agree, maybe Rowling has decided that Neville was actually *the chosen one* that the prophecy was about, however Voldemort's actions towards Harry (i.e killing parents etc) have created Harry as the enemy(as book 6 talks about). Harry never was the one to defeat him, but he has been conditioned to fight this battle, so maybe at the crucial point only Neville will be able to finish Voldy off. Although I'd like to see how she could write Neville into book 7, and I'd feel a bit sorry for Harry having endured so much all to be told he's actually nothing special. Possibly quite a relief tho, maybe he'd relax a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    i would be very shocked if i found out in book7 that neville is the chosen one...i really dont think that something like that would happen...i mean, neville is mentioned no more than luna is in this story...hes part of the plot but i can't see how JKR could immediately put him between the harry vs. voldemort scene...it just seems to me like it wouldnt work..but PR12 makes a good point, we still dont know enough about horcruxes and their creation to decide if harry is or is not possibly a horcrux..anyone else realy think it sucks that the horcrux was a fake, i mean who knows what could have happened if DD haddent drank the potion...and just to raise the questions again so its not forgotten, anyone have any ideas as to what significance DD portrait will have in book 7

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, and is it just me or did anyone else like the scene when DD talked to Harry about the prophecy and cleared up all that complicated stuff thats been bugging me about it. i enjoyed it, it was very deep.

ReputationRep:
    Harry definitely can't be a horcrux. He and Voldemorte met quite a few times, but except their first meeting, we know about the rest, and voldemorte didnt seem to make harry a horcrux since no new curses were heard then. If people are thinking that Voldy made harry a horcrux when he was one year old, when they first met, that is utter rubbish. Ok, voldy killed someone just then and had his soul ripped, but why on earth will he make harry a horcrux and then try to kill him? Are you people suggesting that he is intentionally trying to destroy a part of his soul? This is such a stupid idea, harry being a horcrux. Also, Dumbladore would have understood if harry was a really a horcrux.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.