Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I don't think that they have any other holidays apart from christmas do they?
    There is the halloween feast - though exactly what this signifies I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    is it just me or are the films shockingly tripe like. no1 can act, it really ruins the books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrevG)
    is it just me or are the films shockingly tripe like. no1 can act, it really ruins the books.
    I guess everyone has their own opinion on the movies. They're not exactly what i imagined from the book but i guess they're ok. I agree that some of the actors were bad choices but others were good (like snape and McGonagoll (sp)) (if all that didnt make sense, its early mornin here, i wont be awake for another 2 hours)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lokeo13)
    I guess everyone has their own opinion on the movies. They're not exactly what i imagined from the book but i guess they're ok. I agree that some of the actors were bad choices but others were good (like snape and McGonagoll (sp)) (if all that didnt make sense, its early mornin here, i wont be awake for another 2 hours)
    I think the films could have been better, but they werent bad, and I thought the acting of Lucious malfoy was great. One good sign was that i thought the 2nd film was better than the first, so i hope the 3rd will be even better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p.singh)
    I think the films could have been better, but they werent bad, and I thought the acting of Lucious malfoy was great. One good sign was that i thought the 2nd film was better than the first, so i hope the 3rd will be even better.
    To be honest, very rarely do movies live up to the expectations of people, especially in movies like HP, because people would imagine it to be different. Some of the actors in the movie were lousy choices (inclding I think Sirius), but at least movie 2 was better than movie 1. One problem is that they could never be able to demonstrate the speed of the firebolt too accurately on screen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    There is the halloween feast - though exactly what this signifies I don't know.
    Here's one more for you, not sure if I've seen it mentioned here, but in book three, they actually talk about the easter holiday being less fun because ron and hermione aren't talking.

ReputationRep:
    I heard somewhere that there was something in the chamber of secrets that was very small, buy will be very big in the later books, what does everyone think this could be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p.singh)
    I heard somewhere that there was something in the chamber of secrets that was very small, buy will be very big in the later books, what does everyone think this could be?

Yup, go back about 20 pages. Let us know if you've got any ideas. There are so many "little" things in that book! I've reread it twice now and am still getting new stuff! it's amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Finished rereading book 5 again yestarday- very enjoyable!

Thinking about it properly- the relationship between the Malfoys and Snape is a bit dubious- they get along so well -Snape is always praising Draco and in book two he was like 'my father'd back you if you wanted to be headmaster' or whatever...and yet they are on different sides! Snape is with Dumbledore (or so we believe) and the Malfoys Voldemort...how does their relationship work when Snape supposedly turned traitor???!!!
    Hmmm...?

At the start of book five when Moody etc turn up to get Harry he is in his bedroom- Mr Dursely had locked the door and yet he gets up and goes out of it -he can't have used wand-magic because he'd have got another ministry letter...so more mind magic?

Assuming Mark Evens will be going to Hogwarts next year- do we think Harry'll get to know him in the holidays?
    If he is a relative he'd surely have to be quite a distant one- something like his mother's father's brother's daughter's son or something...but even then surely Petunia would still know the (muggle) family- if they're living so near...
    Also if they were beating him up- Mark, it's suprising nothing 'odd' happened- when Harry used to be in tight spots bizarre stuff would happen...or is that just a Harry thing?
    Hmmm...I can't see JK using the name (and age) without it being important...but it'll be weird to see who he turns out to be relative wise- he's what- 5 years younger than Harry- surely Dumbledore'd know about him? Well if he didn't already he will by the time he sends of the Hogwarts invites (assuming he's going to be a Wizard)

Anyway...I'm mumbling on now...blah!

Egan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Finished rereading book 5 again yestarday- very enjoyable!

Thinking about it properly......Anyway...I'm mumbling on now...blah!

Egan
    But do we actually know for sure IF Draco is on Voldie's side. I mean obviously his dad is. But what if Draco's acting like he is out of fear or something, and Snape knows this?
    Also, I'm wondering why HArry didn't mention anything about him being curious about who MArk Evans is, or ask any questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    But do we actually know for sure IF Draco is on Voldie's side. I mean obviously his dad is. But what if Draco's acting like he is out of fear or something, and Snape knows this?
    Also, I'm wondering why HArry didn't mention anything about him being curious about who MArk Evans is, or ask any questions.
    Well at the end of 5 Draco's having a go at Harry and saying he'd get him for what he did to his father and that they'd be getting out of Azkaban etc...I mean- he certainly hates Harry now but I'm not sure he's going to be really evil? I was sure there had been a thing where someone (ages ago) said he'd end up helping them...It's weird- because you'd think with his father he'd have grown up hating Potter but remember when they were first properly introduced- and Malfoy offered him his hand and told him to 'stick with him' as it were...
    I don't think Harry's even thought about Mark Evens- I mean if you think about it he didn't seem to know his mother's name had been Evans before we find out with Snapes memory thingy...Also- why should he suspect? We know JK pics her names carefully but from Harry's view point it'd just be like you knowing of someone with the same surname- you wouldn't assume he/she was a relative...

Do you think Umbridge will be put up for a trial because of the Dementors thing- I mean Harry hasn't actually told anyone yet that we know of but...? What will become of her?!

ReputationRep:
    The thing about Harry not using his wand at the start of book 5, I thought that Moody of someone opened the door by magic for him.

Its a good point about Snape/Lucius, is it possible that Malfoy doesn't know that Snape's a traitor and Snape's just pretended to still be with Voldemort all this time, and so is still in a position to spy if Voldemort ever came back to full power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Its a good point about Snape/Lucius, is it possible that Malfoy doesn't know that Snape's a traitor and Snape's just pretended to still be with Voldemort all this time, and so is still in a position to spy if Voldemort ever came back to full power.
    Hmmm...but that doesn't really seem to fit- I mean in book 4 Voldemort goes on about 'one fleeing and one betraying' or whatever...-now we assume he's talking about Snape and Karkaroff but we could be wrong and have been mislead...but then all the spaces had been accounted for and Snape's name had not been mentioned...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Hmmm...but that doesn't really seem to fit- I mean in book 4 Voldemort goes on about 'one fleeing and one betraying' or whatever...-now we assume he's talking about Snape and Karkaroff but we could be wrong and have been mislead...but then all the spaces had been accounted for and Snape's name had not been mentioned...
    I don't think we've actually been told that Sanpe is a spy either, have we? Still don't know why Karakoff was not mentioned to be killed. Do you reckon we'll see more of Umbridge? I hate her, and wouldn't actually be surprised if she worked for Voldie. I mean you've got to be pretty messed in the head to give someone a punishment like she gave Harry. Do you think she gave that punishment to all misbehaving students (or those supporting Harry) or just to Harry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I don't think we've actually been told that Sanpe is a spy either, have we? Still don't know why Karakoff was not mentioned to be killed. Do you reckon we'll see more of Umbridge? I hate her, and wouldn't actually be surprised if she worked for Voldie. I mean you've got to be pretty messed in the head to give someone a punishment like she gave Harry. Do you think she gave that punishment to all misbehaving students (or those supporting Harry) or just to Harry?
    lee jordan got the same kind of punishment for telling her that telling them exploding snape did not pertain to the classroom subject and she was breaking the law, remember?

ReputationRep:
    alot of people voted i really hope so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mega Wolf)
    alot of people voted i really hope so
    that harry dies

ReputationRep:
    hey guyz...sorry about no poshts today...broke my finger so i've been resting
    lots of posts to read...about the holidays...thauts right loftx..i forgot totaluly about halloween...

CR

P.S..sorry about the errors..the damn cast gets in the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR3)
    hey guyz...sorry about no poshts today...broke my finger so i've been resting
    Honestly young people these days! -how did you manage to do that you silly billy?
    Ah well...get it well soon *sends over get-well brownies*

Hmmm...tis quite late...might head to bed soon...

Unbridge was decidedly nasty-it'll be interesting to view the part she plays in the next book...maybe she'll go over to Voldemort (for power and to avenge herself) but he'll just be using her and will kill her or something...

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i'm back. Good to see new faces to the board, even tho we have had our fair share of insults about the books lately...

Now when someone asked if we know if snape was a spy, did they mean now, or when he was with volde?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.