Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    oh, i had kinda forgotten about firenze. We didn't really find out too much about what happened with the other centaurs. A lot of things were kinda unresolved.

I wonder if they're will be any new characters... (random and off topic i know, but it was bugging me. I hope there are)

ReputationRep:
    Hi Folks!

Sorry I haven't been so active these past few days. I've been dealing with a pretty rough stats class and haven't had much time for other stuff. Last night, I finished PoB and tonight I reread the first two chapters of GoF. Something struck me in the first chapter. Actually on page three of the American version (hard bound) when Frank Bryce (the Riddle's gardener) was being questioned by the police after the Riddles (Tom, mom, and pop Riddle) were found dead it says:

"Frank was stubbornly repeating, again and again, that he was innocent, and that the only person he had seen near the house on the day of the Riddles' death had been a teenage boy, a stranger, dark haired and pale".

Now, I don't remember from the rest of the book if it was ever put forth that the dead guy found who was presumed to have been Tom (of course Tom, at the time of his death, was described as an adult, hardly a teenager) was actually someone else. So, that leaves us to the pale teen with the dark hair. Who could that be? I'm guessing time travel maybe. Dunno. So, going with who we know it could be. How bout harry? Mark Evans? Neville? a young Snape? Any thoughts on this? Maybe it's nothing, and I simply forgot over time. Perhaps this will all be explained later in the book. But it seemed very important to me when I read it.

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter The Great)
    Hi Folks!

Sorry I haven't been so active these past few days. I've been dealing with a pretty rough stats class and haven't had much time for other stuff. Last night, I finished PoB and tonight I reread the first two chapters of GoF. Something struck me in the first chapter. Actually on page three of the American version (hard bound) when Frank Bryce (the Riddle's gardener) was being questioned by the police after the Riddles (Tom, mom, and pop Riddle) were found dead it says:

"Frank was stubbornly repeating, again and again, that he was innocent, and that the only person he had seen near the house on the day of the Riddles' death had been a teenage boy, a stranger, dark haired and pale".

Now, I don't remember from the rest of the book if it was ever put forth that the dead guy found who was presumed to have been Tom (of course Tom, at the time of his death, was described as an adult, hardly a teenager) was actually someone else. So, that leaves us to the pale teen with the dark hair. Who could that be? I'm guessing time travel maybe. Dunno. So, going with who we know it could be. How bout harry? Mark Evans? Neville? a young Snape? Any thoughts on this? Maybe it's nothing, and I simply forgot over time. Perhaps this will all be explained later in the book. But it seemed very important to me when I read it.

Any thoughts?
    But Tom Riddle was not dead; well not literally! Tom Riddle became Lord Voldie. It never actually said who killed the family did it? But surely it was Voldie. But then what was the body the police found. Could it be someone who took the polyjuice potion (is that what it's called, I can't remember?) and was disguised as Toom Riddle, or was it a memory? Who's body was it, if Tom Riddle was still alive, surely living as Voldie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    But Tom Riddle was not dead; well not literally! Tom Riddle became Lord Voldie. It never actually said who killed the family did it? But surely it was Voldie. But then what was the body the police found. Could it be someone who took the polyjuice potion (is that what it's called, I can't remember?) and was disguised as Toom Riddle, or was it a memory? Who's body was it, if Tom Riddle was still alive, surely living as Voldie.
    Not sure if i've totally understood what everybody says here but i will have ago. We're told that riddle parents and their son Tom die, and the only person near by is a young teenage boy.

We assume the boy is young Lord voldemort the "grown up son Tom" is his father (he tells harry he kills his father) and the parents who are killed are presumably Lord Voldemorts parents though they are not mentioned.

We don't know exactly who killed everyone but it is resumably Lord Voldemort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Not sure if i've totally understood what everybody says here but i will have ago. We're told that riddle parents and their son Tom die, and the only person near by is a young teenage boy.

We assume the boy is young Lord voldemort the "grown up son Tom" is his father (he tells harry he kills his father) and the parents who are killed are presumably Lord Voldemorts parents though they are not mentioned.

We don't know exactly who killed everyone but it is resumably Lord Voldemort.
    Thanks for that Loftx. I think that I remember that now. I had forgotten that Voldie was actually Tom Jr. So it makes sense that Tom Jr (voldie-poo) killed his dad and grandparents. Woo hoo. Way to get mad little voldie-kins! (I love making fun of his name!)

ReputationRep:
    Yup, thanks loftx; a bit confusing at first, but fully understood now.As for the name for Voldie, I reckon that if students are still frightened of Voldemort's name, they should change it. I mean, Lord Voldie-poo or Lord Voldiekins doesn't sound half as threatening.

ReputationRep:
    onthe dumbledore thing
    there is an idea that he cant die b4 either harry or ron as they were all at a table of 13 in book 3 and this first to rise is the first to die as proven with sirius in ootp

in the book it says that it was immpossible to tell who had risen first of ron or harry

so then one of them would have to die

this idea im not sure of but its well thorght through i thought.

also i think jk making us susspicious about snape in interviews like that at the royal albert hall and with paxman is a red herring

her final idea wont be that obvious i dont think
    but i do think snape has a large part to play.

ReputationRep:
    In an interview, I think that J K Rowling said that there was a clue in the part which sheread out loud in the Royal Albert Hall reading. Does anyone know what part she read out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    In an interview, I think that J K Rowling said that there was a clue in the part which sheread out loud in the Royal Albert Hall reading. Does anyone know what part she read out?
    yeah it was the career choice chapter
    so either the next books are all about thear career or more likely about why harrys parents got together and how they changed as they are the main themes of the chapter
    she said that themes in what she read out would run through book 6

does that help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Not sure if this is it, haven't read it yet...

http://www.mugglenet.com/jkr-royalalbert.shtml

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is it, haven't read it yet...

http://www.mugglenet.com/jkr-royalalbert.shtml
    thats the one

ReputationRep:
    So, um, yeah, in that Royal Albert Hall question/answer thing, a kid asked Rowling why dumbledore won't let snape be the DADA, check out her answer...

"That is an excellent question and the reason is… I have to be careful… not to say too much. However, when Professor Dumbledore took Professor Snape onto the staff and Professor Snape said he'd like to teach Defence Against the Dark Arts please and Professor Dumbledore felt that it might bring out the worst in Professor Snape, so Dumbledore said: "I think we'll let you teach potions and see how you get along there."

What do you suppose she means? Thoughts? Comments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    I don't know

J.K Rowling has hinted Harry's death but she also has said she has written the last chapter of book 7.

If Harry is going to die, wouldn't she cry like she did for Mr. B? Ok, she might not have mention it because it would spoil it but she seems to be happy-ish mention she has written it. I think she hinting Volodemort dies.

Also, book 5 opened up the possible (though shocking) idea that Harry may turn againist Dumbledore - he was pretty angry and Mr. B death may have turn that dark spark in him and turn it in a fire.

The way I'm thinking it that if Dumbledore had told the truth in the first place, taught him the thingy (which Snape tried to) earlier on personally then Mr. B would still be alive. Harry may end up hating Dumbledore so much.

Also to kill Volodemort, Harry would have to be very angry because to use an Unforgiveble Curse you have to really want to hurt someone. Maybe people are forcing Harry to become angry so he can kill Volodemort.

I don't know....oh god J.K ROWLING HURRY UP!! I NEED BOOK 6!!! HARRY POTTER AND THE ? MUST COME OUT SOON!!!
    #

WOW!!!!!!! a true harry potter fan! i admire you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by debog)
    yeah it was the career choice chapter
    so either the next books are all about thear career or more likely about why harrys parents got together and how they changed as they are the main themes of the chapter
    she said that themes in what she read out would run through book 6

does that help?
    Maybe we'll find out about what careers Harry's parents had. It would be really interesting if the kids would have to do work experience over the summer or something.
    About the Snape thing, I really am not sure. I mean we don't even know why Dumblydore trusts him so much, and why Snape became a spy IF he was a normal death eater (of course he could have been a spy from the beginning). Maybe Snape was forced into becoming a death eater, and confessed so to Dumblydore who helped him.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm... what do you lot think about Draco Malfoy? i don't reckon there's any chance that he's good and i'm pretty sure he'll follow in the footsteps of his father (or run away completely- he seems the cowardly kind). I know some people reckon he'll join Dumbly's side, but it hink it's unlikely considering the comments made by JKR- something to do with people getting too fond of Draco (re: kids dressing like him)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Maybe we'll find out about what careers Harry's parents had. It would be really interesting if the kids would have to do work experience over the summer or something.
    About the Snape thing, I really am not sure. I mean we don't even know why Dumblydore trusts him so much, and why Snape became a spy IF he was a normal death eater (of course he could have been a spy from the beginning). Maybe Snape was forced into becoming a death eater, and confessed so to Dumblydore who helped him.
    I'm still running with the idea that Harry's parents were teachers, but thats just my opinion, we've got to find out for sure in the next book, she can't let Harry get to 17 and still ot know what his parents did for a living, it'd be too cruel on us!

I don't know what to think about Snape, not sure whether he was a death eater turned spy, a spy from the start, or just biding his time by pretending to be a spy, just been reading that Albert Hall interview, and JKR says something like Snape isn't to be trusted, I don't remember her exact words tho.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Folks!

Any thoughts?
    What a great point!! But it can't be harry, neville or mark evens, because how would they get back in time?? Wait a minute... what about James??

I dunno about the point of the 13th person at the table in book 3. I mean trewlany has made many predictions , which ahve turned out to be wrong. It's odd tho, that all her predicitons ( in her transe) have been about harry or in his presnce... I do think trewlany will amke more predictions that turn out to be right how ever. I think the dumbledore saving harry is a little to predictable...

btw, we have always thoguht about a big battle, what if there are just many small ones... here's an ending: the series ends the way it began, with volde vanishing, death eaters dead or in azkaban, but no real winner.. Last sentence: Harry knew Lord Voldmeort would would rise again, but when he could not say.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    hmmmm... what do you lot think about Draco Malfoy? i don't reckon there's any chance that he's good and i'm pretty sure he'll follow in the footsteps of his father (or run away completely- he seems the cowardly kind). I know some people reckon he'll join Dumbly's side, but it hink it's unlikely considering the comments made by JKR- something to do with people getting too fond of Draco (re: kids dressing like him)

lou xxx
    But is Draco evil enough to become a deatheater and kill people. Probably yes. But there might be an event that prevents Draco going over to Voldie's side, with Drcao helping Harry defeat Voldie. I reckon that Draco might become an important character in the next books. If you think of it, Draco's role so far has been to be a bully, and to drop hints to Harry that he knows something that Harry doesn't. So I think that Draco will be important later on, whether he is evil or not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)

lou xxx
    J K Rowling might want to sign off with a bang. I mean maybe throughout the books, there will be small battles, with members of the order going out to fight, and maybe some getting killed. Maybe at the end there will be a huge fight b/w order members and maybe dumbledore's army against the eatheaters. With HArry and Voldie going to a separate place to battle it out. The thing is that that is a bit too predicatble, so maybe a different ending will be in store for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiriusFan)
    What a great point!! But it can't be harry, neville or mark evens, because how would they get back in time?? Wait a minute... what about James??

I dunno about the point of the 13th person at the table in book 3. I mean trewlany has made many predictions , which ahve turned out to be wrong. It's odd tho, that all her predicitons ( in her transe) have been about harry or in his presnce... I do think trewlany will amke more predictions that turn out to be right how ever. I think the dumbledore saving harry is a little to predictable...

btw, we have always thoguht about a big battle, what if there are just many small ones... here's an ending: the series ends the way it began, with volde vanishing, death eaters dead or in azkaban, but no real winner.. Last sentence: Harry knew Lord Voldmeort would would rise again, but when he could not say.....
    Grr, just wrote a really long post but it said it was busy and didn't post it, gutted!

The pale teen can't have been James, it was Voldemort going to kill his muggle father (who shares his name) and his family.

I hadn't spotted the 13 at a table thing in book 5, when was it?

I hope it doesn't end with Voldemort just vanishing, I think I'd feel a bit cheated if it did, I want a disicion (sp?) about the prophecy, it'd just feel like the books were going nowhere if it just ended like that.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.