Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiriusFan)
    I heard in an interview that u don't need to need to be a prefect to be head boy. Wonder what james did to get into the good graces of dippet?
    .... Erm, Dumbledore was headmaster when the Marauders were at school. You can see this when Remus (woooo, Remus) talks about how Dumbledore let him into the school because he felt sorry for him.

Who knows what James did... it's a mystery, i suppose. Just like Severus. *drool*

ReputationRep:
    hi! new here. was looking for stuff about why people read harry potter for a report that i was writing and i came across the forum. i think it's nice to be able to share my opinions/theories with people who also like the series

oh, question. this probably got asked already with the previos posts (but there are soooo many....), but which house does Lily really belong to? A friend of mine says she's Slytherin coz she protects Snape. Sooo?

And James... is he a chaser or a seeker? The book 1 movie says seeker, but I read in an interview with JK that he's a chaser.

Last... Harry... you think he would be headboy? Dumbledore, though, says that he's already got too much to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    hi! new here. was looking for stuff about why people read harry potter for a report that i was writing and i came across the forum. i think it's nice to be able to share my opinions/theories with people who also like the series

oh, question. this probably got asked already with the previos posts (but there are soooo many....), but which house does Lily really belong to? A friend of mine says she's Slytherin coz she protects Snape. Sooo?

And James... is he a chaser or a seeker? The book 1 movie says seeker, but I read in an interview with JK that he's a chaser.

Last... Harry... you think he would be headboy? Dumbledore, though, says that he's already got too much to worry about.
    1. I started reading HP because any book that upsets the religious right enough to get them to burn them is worth my attention.

2. Lily, don't think anyone but JK knows, but my guess would be Slytherine, but I wouldn't be surprised by Ravenclaw. Of course, giving your life for your son would be pretty brave (Gryffindor?).

3. James was a seeker. Remember the snitch he was playing with?

ReputationRep:
    Hi ladyblitzer, welcome to the board and the harry potter thread.

(Original post by Peter The Great)
    3. James was a seeker. Remember the snitch he was playing with?
    I would disagree there - I was really sure it was chaser, though don't have a copy of the first book to check it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Hi ladyblitzer, welcome to the board and the harry potter thread.

I would disagree there - I was really sure it was chaser, though don't have a copy of the first book to check it out.
    I think Lily was in Gryffindor, tou dont have to be in syltherin to make the mistake of standing up to snape, plus, he called her a mudblood, and arent most slytherins pureblood.

and james was playing with a snitch so I would think he was a seeker, JK ROWLING has never said he was a Chaser, so why does every1 believe that. oh and for the hi im new person, I started reading them bcuuz my librarian read us the first chapter in Library.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    I think Lily was in Gryffindor, tou dont have to be in syltherin to make the mistake of standing up to snape, plus, he called her a mudblood, and arent most slytherins pureblood.

and james was playing with a snitch so I would think he was a seeker, JK ROWLING has never said he was a Chaser, so why does every1 believe that. oh and for the hi im new person, I started reading them bcuuz my librarian read us the first chapter in Library.
    the fact that lilly's house isnt mentioned and
    jk hasnt commented makes me think not gryfindor
    aswell as the big thing to be revealed bout her in bk7
    i'd say ravenclaw
    she was good at charms indicating cleverness maybe

she does actually say he was a good chaser
    but in the first film we see the cup with james' name on and the words seeker
    jk had a lot to do with the film and detail like that was run past her first

i read hp in yr7 when the first one came out to answer the other question

and isnt it cool that 62442 spells magic on predicted txt!

ReputationRep:
    Grr, just wrote a really long post and lost it all!

Was just saying that I dreamt the other night that I was reading book 6 and Mark Evans was being sorted and was put into Slytherin, like Lily. I can't imagine why this would happen though, coz it definately said in book 2 or something that Slytherin chose only pure bloods for his house, so unless Lily is scretly adopted from a pure blood wizard family I can't imagine the sorting hat putting her in Slytherin.

Not gonna be able to post regularly for the next few weeeks, back at uni now and in the process of sorting out internet for my house, so can only get online in uni, how annoying! Don't forget me, I will be back eventually!

ReputationRep:
    We haven't really been told about what house any of the Mauraders are in, except James, I think. And I don't even think for sure that J K Rowling has specifically mentioned that. It's just odd bits, like Ron and Hermione and even Harry commenting if when looking at the Quidditch cup, they had seen that James was not in Gryffindor.
    As for Lily, just because she stood up for Snape, doesn't mean that she was in Slytherin, it just means that she's a nice person. I mean, maybe she saw James being mean to Snape, and didn't see Snape hurting JAmes (cos James often got the upper hand?) or cos she thought JAmes was out of order, and decided to protect the person in trouble at the moment. Sorry, I'm babbling and dunno if any of this makes sense. Also, she definitely showed bravery. If J K Rowling was going to show something big about Lily in book 7, well I don't think the fact that Lily might be in Slytherin would be big enough.
    To be a seeker, surel you would have to be a better flier than for a chaser position. We know that James was a good flier cos of the comparisons by Sirius with Harry. Harry probably inherited his skills from his dad. Surely being a very good flier, he would chose to be a seeker. Also, it seems to me that JAmes liked a lot of attention, and maybe liked to be the centre of attention. Then the obvious choice would be for him to be a seeker.
    I wonder why on earth the sorting hat put Pettigrew in Gryffindor?
    Well, sorry about the long post, just wanted to put some views forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Grr, just wrote a really long post and lost it all!

Was just saying that I dreamt the other night that I was reading book 6 and Mark Evans was being sorted and was put into Slytherin, like Lily. I can't imagine why this would happen though, coz it definately said in book 2 or something that Slytherin chose only pure bloods for his house, so unless Lily is scretly adopted from a pure blood wizard family I can't imagine the sorting hat putting her in Slytherin.

Not gonna be able to post regularly for the next few weeeks, back at uni now and in the process of sorting out internet for my house, so can only get online in uni, how annoying! Don't forget me, I will be back eventually!
    Good luck at uni, and we'll see you when u're internet's sorted.

ReputationRep:
    I have always thought the Marauders were Gryffindors. If you look, Harry and co are friends with other houses, but we are never shown any tight-knit friendships with people in different houses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Amy*)
    I have always thought the Marauders were Gryffindors. If you look, Harry and co are friends with other houses, but we are never shown any tight-knit friendships with people in different houses.
    I just wonder why J K Rowling has not mentioned what houses they are in. It seems the obvious choice that they are all in Gryffindor, but we have never been told this. Maybe Sirius did the same thing that Harry did, and asked the had not to place him in Slytherin. But remember, even sisters, like Parvati Patil and her twin can sometimes be placed in different houses, as mentioned to Harry by Ron in book 4.

ReputationRep:
    By marking HArry as equal, Voldie has not only killed both of his parents, but has also transferred some of his powers to Harry, therefore making him even more equal. And Neville wasn't even "marked" as equal, because his parents aren't dead like Voldie's and Harry's; they're alive and who knows, there might be a way to make them normal again at the end. Also, every wizard or witch has magical powers. By Neville improving in his defence skills, it wouldn't come as that big a surprise. It isn't like he's getting a new power, just getting better at the orignal ones. If Neville had other powers, surely we would have heard about something. The powers could be anything which could include the power of love. Love is a power that Voldie knows not. Maybe the prophecy might not talk about a power which Harry has which Voldie doesn't know he has. But of a power which Voldie doesn't know of, and does not have. Think of it, does Voldie show any love? Maybe Tom Riddle might have or have not, but Voldie doesn't experiene love. Could this be the power that will eventually destroy Voldie?

(Where have the 2 posts by unregistered and someone else or something gone? Tis was as reply to their posts).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I just wonder why J K Rowling has not mentioned what houses they are in. It seems the obvious choice that they are all in Gryffindor, but we have never been told this. Maybe Sirius did the same thing that Harry did, and asked the had not to place him in Slytherin. But remember, even sisters, like Parvati Patil and her twin can sometimes be placed in different houses, as mentioned to Harry by Ron in book 4.
    I know. Damn, there are so many things i want clarified. And i want character histories, aswell. I would pay in LIMBS to see the history of Severus and Remus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    coz it definately said in book 2 or something that Slytherin chose only pure bloods for his house, so unless Lily is scretly adopted from a pure blood wizard family I can't imagine the sorting hat putting her in Slytherin.
    i jsut thought of 2 things in reply to this. first, i don't think it said only pure bloods could be in Slytherin. Otherwise i thik there would be a shortage in slytherins. also, what if you're right?!? what if lily really was adopted into the Evans family from a pure blood family. That could explain why she was the only witch in her family (though i know there are other explanations for that) and maybe the other evans kid isn't really related to harry, so the fact that harry has no other living relatives could still be true... hang on... ok, i guess that might not make sense b/c then harry's aunt and uncle wouldn't be related either but... does anyone get waht im trying to say? maybe you can help clear up my theory... (this was kinda spur of the moment typing)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Amy*)
    I know. Damn, there are so many things i want clarified. And i want character histories, aswell. I would pay in LIMBS to see the history of Severus and Remus.
    You know, maybe there's a deeper reason for J K Rowling to say that even twins like Parvati and her twin are separated by houses. I'm not sure what the reason could be though. Maybe it is that Sirius and James were separated by houses or Lily and James. Oh I don't know, maybe J K Rowling went for the easy option, and all the mauraders and Lily were in Gryffindor.
    I want to know the truth!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lokeo13)
    i jsut thought of 2 things in reply to this. first, i don't think it said only pure bloods could be in Slytherin. Otherwise i thik there would be a shortage in slytherins. also, what if you're right?!? what if lily really was adopted into the Evans family from a pure blood family. That could explain why she was the only witch in her family (though i know there are other explanations for that) and maybe the other evans kid isn't really related to harry, so the fact that harry has no other living relatives could still be true... hang on... ok, i guess that might not make sense b/c then harry's aunt and uncle wouldn't be related either but... does anyone get waht im trying to say? maybe you can help clear up my theory... (this was kinda spur of the moment typing)
    she cant have been adopted cos there is the whole thing of petunia having the same blood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by debog)
    she cant have been adopted cos there is the whole thing of petunia having the same blood
    I doubt that Lily was adopted. I just hope that J K Rolwing tells us why Petunia hates her so much, and how much Petunia really does know about the wizarding world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I doubt that Lily was adopted. I just hope that J K Rolwing tells us why Petunia hates her so much, and how much Petunia really does know about the wizarding world.
    me too
    and what happened to their parents
    its 62442!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by debog)
    good point... heheh i kinda overlooked that. umm, i havent thought this thru yet but maybe lily an petunia only have one same parent... is that possible?

(im just kinda throwing out ideas for others to go with. i don't have all my brains back from the many tests ive had recently. i dun wanna think about too much)

ReputationRep:
    1500 th post, 10700 th view

(just wanted to make my mark)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.