Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I read that interview that was linked- she said she named Fawkes after Guy Fawkes- being from NY I only have a dim recollection from World History about the story- can anyone from the UK give us a brief rundown? He wanted to bomb the House but he's a hero or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I read that interview that was linked- she said she named Fawkes after Guy Fawkes- being from NY I only have a dim recollection from World History about the story- can anyone from the UK give us a brief rundown? He wanted to bomb the House but he's a hero or something?
    He and his friends attempted to blow up the houses of parliament, but he managed to get caught (and failed). He was taken to the tower of London and tortured and I think he told them who his accomplaces were. Then him and his fellow captures were hung, drawn and quartered. Now traditionally he (in dummy form) is burned at the stake every year for fireworks night.

I think that's the basis of it...someone may be able to offer a more detailed version.

ReputationRep:

Well, yeah, wouldn't you like to take out most of your politicians?! He was part of a plot ('The Gunpowder Plot') to blow up Parliament and assassinate King James I (I THINK - someone please correct me if I'm wrong!!). He got caught because one of the other people in the plot got cold feet and exposed them; I don't think he was the ringleader though. I think he was just the scapegoat - I have a feeling the real leader got away.

Still, it's a good excuse for a party. With a few burning human effigies thrown in for good measure

ReputationRep:
    So Harry Potter Fawkes burns up and is reborn. Every year guy fawkes dummies are burnt. But come the next year, they come back to life again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    So Harry Potter Fawkes burns up and is reborn. Every year guy fawkes dummies are burnt. But come the next year, they come back to life again.
    She does work random stories into everthing, doesn't she There must be a million more no one has caught- btw- is Ginny's first name Ginny or is it short for something? Virginia? And does anyone remember what all of Dumbledore's middle names were? I have a feeling its important- she didn't give anyone else so many- and his brother's name was Aberforth, right? He must be something as well, he's been mentioned twice now- once by Dumbledore and once by Moody- both said he was odd-

Xenon- what are wispa bars?

ReputationRep:
    She does work random stories into everthing, doesn't she There must be a million more no one has caught- btw- is Ginny's first name Ginny or is it short for something? Virginia? And does anyone remember what all of Dumbledore's middle names were? I have a feeling its important- she didn't give anyone else so many- and his brother's name was Aberforth, right? He must be something as well, he's been mentioned twice now- once by Dumbledore and once by Moody- both said he was odd-

Wispa bars are the yummiest chocolate bars ever (or rather were). They're thick bubbly chocolate which I reckon is 100 times better than aero. Cadburys have apparantly renamed it to cadburys bubbly, but I don't think they taste as brill as they used to (that could just be me), and wispa was chunkier and therefore had more chocolate in it.
    Ok now back to the topic in hand; Aberforth will probably be one of those characters who have been mentioned a little before, and will now hopefully play a bigger role in upcoming books. Aberforth sounds like an interesting and mysterious character; one you wantto find out more about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Wispa bars are the yummiest chocolate bars ever (or rather were). They're thick bubbly chocolate which I reckon is 100 times better than aero. Cadburys have apparantly renamed it to cadburys bubbly, but I don't think they taste as brill as they used to (that could just be me), and wispa was chunkier and therefore had more chocolate in it.
    Ok now back to the topic in hand; Aberforth will probably be one of those characters who have been mentioned a little before, and will now hopefully play a bigger role in upcoming books. Aberforth sounds like an interesting and mysterious character; one you wantto find out more about.
    How about having Aberforth be the new DADA teacher? That'd be kinda cool. Having a dumbledore teaching DADA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter The Great)
    How about having Aberforth be the new DADA teacher? That'd be kinda cool. Having a dumbledore teaching DADA.
    I wonder if he can read or write yet though. Maybe he's improved. Dumbledore's often been stuck for DADA teachers, so why would he have not chosen his brother before. But then, Dumblydore might be in huge trouble and have no choice. It seems like a decent idea to have him in hogwarts so we can find out more about him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I wonder if he can read or write yet though. Maybe he's improved. Dumbledore's often been stuck for DADA teachers, so why would he have not chosen his brother before. But then, Dumblydore might be in huge trouble and have no choice. It seems like a decent idea to have him in hogwarts so we can find out more about him.
    I have a feeling having Aberforth around would definately lighten up the next books- he sounds as though he couldn't be more different than Albus, but same sense of humor-

Now one of Dumbledore's middle names is Percival- do you think that's a coincidence? Is that Percy's real name? I've been rereading lately and I've got a little more sympathy for Perc- if you trace it, he's actually been pretty good to Ron and occasionally the others- especially the scene in GoF where he runs into the lake when Ron comes back up with Harry- it says he looks "younger" and "worried" - in fact he's always looking out for Ron- following Mrs. Weasley's orders, and taking care of Ginny- it isn't until OoP that he becomes such a &%@#$*&%@

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully Perce will sort his head out, head back home, get down on his knees and apologise, giving him the slightest chance of forgiveness. Perce is letting the power get to his head. I mean imagine chosing job over family! I hope that there is still hope for Perce, for his and Mrs Weasley's sake.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry- A friend of mine is reading along but is too chicken to post- he wonders if anyone picked up on the Neville's wand thing- Neville had his dad's old wand this whole time and now that its broken, will have to get a new one- at first I didn't think this was so interesting- except that you never get as good results with someone else's wand- I wonder if Neville will be less... bumbly? now that he would have his own wand?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry- A friend of mine is reading along but is too chicken to post- he wonders if anyone picked up on the Neville's wand thing- Neville had his dad's old wand this whole time and now that its broken, will have to get a new one- at first I didn't think this was so interesting- except that you never get as good results with someone else's wand- I wonder if Neville will be less... bumbly? now that he would have his own wand?
    Didn't pick that up. Maybe it will have an effect, but then Ron didn't have too much of a notable difference with his new wand. Whenever Snape is around, I'm afraid, Neville will be "bumbly" in potions.

ReputationRep:

Virginia is a state, named after queen victoria ( i think ) every1 died in the first year it was colonized and then wut was left a hero indian strolled in and taught them how to make corn.....ginny was n her first year and needed to be saved........any parellels here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    Virginia is a state, named after queen victoria ( i think ) every1 died in the first year it was colonized and then wut was left a hero indian strolled in and taught them how to make corn.....ginny was n her first year and needed to be saved........any parellels here?
    Could be, but then again, you may find loads of stuff about Virginia and try and fit them to suit Ginny's story. J K Rowling could have used that explanation, or it could be coincidence, or have other reasons. Who knows, who knows........ :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Who knows, who knows........
    JK does!

Hmmm...hope it doesn't take too long for us to get the next book...

I certainly think we'll be meeting Dumbledore's brother soon, and his middle names were *looks up* Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

McGonnigal must be pretty old, she said in book five she'd been teaching for 39 years (or something) and she'd have only left school at 17/18 so she must be in her 60s. Seems odd. Blah- tis not really related, just remembered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    JK does!

Hmmm...hope it doesn't take too long for us to get the next book...

I certainly think we'll be meeting Dumbledore's brother soon, and his middle names were *looks up* Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

McGonnigal must be pretty old, she said in book five she'd been teaching for 39 years (or something) and she'd have only left school at 17/18 so she must be in her 60s. Seems odd. Blah- tis not really related, just remembered.
    i thought there was more than that
    could u site the page ref.?

(american versoin) hopefully?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Could be, but then again, you may find loads of stuff about Virginia and try and fit them to suit Ginny's story. J K Rowling could have used that explanation, or it could be coincidence, or have other reasons. Who knows, who knows........ :confused:
    was Ginny's real name really Virginia or are you guys just thinking about different possibilities?? i think that her real name was just Ginny.

errrr i just a pretty long thing about why her name would just be ginny but i went to check up on the sorting hat ceremony in book 2 and then i remembered that it didnt really talk about it because Harry and Ron missed it because they flew the car into the whomping willow. errr. ohh well i will reread different parts of the books and try to come up with some new ideas about different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    i thought there was more than that
    could u site the page ref.?

(american versoin) hopefully?
    in the american version it is book 5 on page 139. it's when Harry is at his hearing and Dumbledore comes to it.

ReputationRep:
    wow... lots and lots of posts! how many times do you guys post a day? :eek:

haha, congrats, Xenon! you said overlady? I thought you were a guy!

ReputationRep:
    i always thought that sirius really didn't die... that he just fell inside the veil so he's lost forever... but i read in another JK interview that he is definitely, absolutely, 100% DEAH. aaargh... she's soooo mean... and yet soooo good why do i even read her books? heheehee!

in the same interview, they were talking about merchandising. jk said that there was supposed to be a moaning mrytle alarm clock, it comes with her toilet... but it was terrible, as JK said.

have you guys tried reading lily and james fiction? some are really good. i hope JK makes a separate book about the james and lily love story

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.