Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    wow... lots and lots of posts! how many times do you guys post a day? :eek:

haha, congrats, Xenon! you said overlady? I thought you were a guy!
    Lots of people make that mistake. I was surprised to find out how many girls are main players on this post (go back about thirty pages, we spent about a page and a half talking about it) You know, I'm glad I got in where I did, I only had to read the first dozen and a half pages to get up to speed. If I had to read 80+ pages I'd never be able to catch up!!!

ReputationRep:
    hah, and that's supposed to make me feel good? :mad: kidding! oh well, i guess I just have to join with all the recent theory forming and question asking!

ReputationRep:
    i always thought that sirius really didn't die... that he just fell inside the veil so he's lost forever... but i read in another JK interview that he is definitely, absolutely, 100% DEAH. aaargh... she's soooo mean... and yet soooo good why do i even read her books? heheehee!

in the same interview, they were talking about merchandising. jk said that there was supposed to be a moaning mrytle alarm clock, it comes with her toilet... but it was terrible, as JK said.

have you guys tried reading lily and james fiction? some are really good. i hope JK makes a separate book about the james and lily love story
    Is she telling the truth though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Is she telling the truth though?
    prolly wut self respecting author would want toys about her book coming in the forms of toilets and alarm clocks?

ReputationRep:
    Hey!!!!!
    I've just became a menber of this site!!!!(I think...lol)

There is a question that I would like to make!
    In the 5 book, umbrige orders professor trelawney to leave the castel, and Dumbledore replaces her by firenze.
    So, what happends now, that umbrige has no longer any control over the castel, I mean who is going to teach Divination?

ps- this forum is the best!!! :P

ReputationRep:
    The "Virgin Queen" was Elizabeth I - who had red hair- the first colony was Roanoake in Virginia, and the first white child born an American was named Virginia Dare- she was supposedly very beautiful and brave- but dissapeared with the rest of the colony- their was a lot of speculation about her- supposedly she grew into a beautiful redheaded woman, and the Native Americans didn't kill her because of her hair- instead she fell in love with one of them and hence the occasional cropping up of one of the people would have reddish hair and light skin- most likely all myth and legend, and possibly irrelevant, but kind of interesting-

Ginny MIGHT be short for Virginia, might not- Ron was short for Ronald, but Harry wasn't- I'm guessing Charlie and Bill are nicknames as well-

ReputationRep:
    Hey...
    Well sirius is dead, so it says in the book, but the books are about a magical world, where many magical things happend, like building bones in one night. So why can sirius be alive in some way??? It could be, couldn't it???
    Do you think he will aperar in the next book??

ReputationRep:
    there ARE harry potter alarm clock, with ron and harry.. i think. but she disapproved of the moaning myrtle one :P

So, what happends now, that umbrige has no longer any control over the castel, I mean who is going to teach Divination?
    I think Firenze is still going to teach Divination, unless Dumbledore decides to put back Trelawny. I doubt that Trelawny's gonna be back, though, coz Firenze got kicked out of the Forbidden Forest for Dumbledore, so the headmaster just couldn't get him out of the job.

Welcome, Kikas! i'm just new here myself

ReputationRep:
    I think Firenze is still going to teach Divination, unless Dumbledore decides to put back Trelawny. I doubt that Trelawny's gonna be back, though, coz Firenze got kicked out of the Forbidden Forest for Dumbledore, so the headmaster just couldn't get him out of the job.
    I believe Harry, Ron and Hermione have the discussion at the end of book 5 and they say they assume that the two teachers will share the job.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    Thank's! I've been cheking the how many menbers are, and there are a lot!!!!!

Yeah! Firenze has to teach because he can't go back to the forest! byt then what will happend to Trelawny?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikas)
    Hey!
    Thank's! I've been cheking the how many menbers are, and there are a lot!!!!!

Yeah! Firenze has to teach because he can't go back to the forest! byt then what will happend to Trelawny?
    Hermione says in the end of book 5 that they will share the job- I guess one would teach 1 through 3 years, the rest the older students, that sort of thing- Firenze can't go back to the forest, they'll kill him- and Trewlawny sure isn't getting work anyplace else-

ReputationRep:
    There is a realy good site about harry potter, problably you already know.
    It is www.hp-lexicon.org!
    the site has a lot of thins about harry´s world, and the muggles world to!
    It´s full of interesting things...there is a sugestion that une personne of the site does...that petenuia went to hogwarts but she hasn't good enough!
    Well that would explain why she hated her sister so much. But it's a bit odd!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikas)
    Hey!!!!!
    I've just became a menber of this site!!!!(I think...lol)

There is a question that I would like to make!
    In the 5 book, umbrige orders professor trelawney to leave the castel, and Dumbledore replaces her by firenze.

ps- this forum is the best!!! :P
    Yeah kikas
    Welcome to the board (as a member)
    Well, Firenze will definitely stay, and I guess Trelawney might have to stay to keep in tact whatever sanity she has. She's important for the very few accurate predictions she can make. Maybe Firenze and her will share the job. By the way, did anyone actually feel sorry for her when she was getting chucked out. She only got a bit of sympathy from me. I thought that she acted a bit over-dramatical for me!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!!!(again)
    Well now that I'm a menber I just have to keep up with all of you!!!!
    But there is a lot of posts to read!!!

Well, I caind of felt sorry for her, not just because I love divimation, (if went to hogwarts it would b my favourite class :P), but also because she was being trowing out by umbrige(a personne that I hate a lot- for a few moments I thought that she was Voldemort...that he was posecing her, or something).
    (sorry if i wrotte bad...wich I did):P

ReputationRep:
    Kikas- don't feel bad about spelling- we know what you mean

I felt bad for Trewlawny only in the sense that she got drop kicked off her high horse- if she really did have to leave Hogwarts, what the heck would she do? But while she is there she can be elitist- thinking she is better than everyone else-

someone said something a couple pages back about the ages seeming wrong- in one of JKs interviews she says that wizards live alot longer than muggles- Dumbledore is 150- BUT she said Harry hadn't figured that out yet- I wonder how he finds out?

Did anyone think that there were some weird moments over Hermione's parents? She didn't spend the summer with them- she didn't go to Christmas skiing with them- JK keeps saying they were "sad but understood" or "dissapointed" and at the very end, Hermione's mother was clutching her tightly- JK said they were "dentists and not very interesting" but I still think something is going to come up with them- like Hermione has to choose between them and the Wizarding world or something-

Does anyone know of any interviews coming up with her? All the ones we read are pre book 5!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    Kikas- don't feel bad about spelling- we know what you mean

I felt bad for Trewlawny only in the sense that she got drop kicked off her high horse- if she really did have to leave Hogwarts, what the heck would she do? But while she is there she can be elitist- thinking she is better than everyone else-

someone said something a couple pages back about the ages seeming wrong- in one of JKs interviews she says that wizards live alot longer than muggles- Dumbledore is 150- BUT she said Harry hadn't figured that out yet- I wonder how he finds out?

Did anyone think that there were some weird moments over Hermione's parents? She didn't spend the summer with them- she didn't go to Christmas skiing with them- JK keeps saying they were "sad but understood" or "dissapointed" and at the very end, Hermione's mother was clutching her tightly- JK said they were "dentists and not very interesting" but I still think something is going to come up with them- like Hermione has to choose between them and the Wizarding world or something-

Does anyone know of any interviews coming up with her? All the ones we read are pre book 5!
    Do you think that Trelawney knows that she is a fraud (well, for the most part)? Dumbledore can't ditch her. Personally, I didn't care for her much and would have dropped her class first thing like hermione did. But still, she didn't deserve to be fired like that.

Here's another thing, did everyone know how to pronounce Hermione when they first started reading the books? I sort of figured it out in Book four and didn't fully grasp the pronunciation until the first movie.

When I first started reading the books and first encountered the name, my head read it as:
    HER-MEE-WUNN
    and I thought, wow, what a stupid name! So I made a conscious effort to change it to:
    HER-MEE-OWN
    (again, stupid, but better than Hermi-one-kenobe!)
    Then after the pron. explaination to Krum in book four I thought of it as:
    HER-MY-OWN-EE
    It wasn't until I saw the first movie that I realized that the middle of the name is sort of squashed into:
    HER-MYEH-NEE
    Basically, it's just turning a four syllable word into a three syllable one. Anyone know what I'm saying?

ReputationRep:
    Had you never heard of the name Hermione before?

ReputationRep:
    I used to pronounce it Her-mee-own-ee, and now Her-my-own-ee. When I read the part about Dumbledore's age, and how Harry didn't know that wizards could live that long, I wondered if that would be revealed in a big way to Harry. Just now quite sure how. Do you reckon that Harry still needs to learn a lot more about death? Also, I wonder what could be worse than death?
    The last interview I've heard from J K Rowling was the Royal Albert Hall one.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the thing "worse than death" was when the dementor sucked your soul out- didn't they use those exact words? I'm sure Harry has alot to learn about death- like why his parents' house was blown up- A-K hasn't blown anything else up I think- just killed people- he's got alot to learn about everything- she's got alot to cover in two books

I'd never heard the name before but always said "Her-my-a/o-nee" (depending on how fast I was saying it)- I also always said dumble-door, but then read that part where someone calls him dumbly-door- decided it must be an accent thing and went back to my original pronounciation- am I right in saying Seerious?

ReputationRep:
    How powerful a wizard do you think Harry is, or can be? I mean we know that he can produce a patronus, when many fully grown wizards cannot, and that he's the best in DADA at least in his class. Do you reckon that he'll be properly trained in DADA to prepare for his battle with Voldie.
    I wonder how anyone would feel in his position. I wonder if he feels that he's taking exams and planning to be an auror and stuff, but will he actually survive long enough to do so. I don't blame Harry for feeling the way he does sometimes, that life is against him and stuff, butI hope that he realises that he needs his friends, and therefore stops trying to protect them by removing himself away from them.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.