Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    oops, posted that last reply before I'd read the next few, never mind. Lily and James' parents must be dead, because it says a few times that Petunia is Harry's only living relative, which was why he went to live with them. This also implies that his grandparents died before Voldies downfall, leading back to my theory (which I've mentioned before, but sorry, I'm gonna mention again!) that Voldemort, or some of his death eaters killed Harry's grandparents, which is part of the reason why Petunia hates Lily so much, she blames her for her parents deaths, maybe the death eaters thought her parents might know where they were hiding or something.
    That's what I thought it could be. I mean jealousy is not enough to hate someone so much that you won't treat your nepheww properly. Maybe there was some sort of story behind Harry's grandparents died. And why on earth has Harry not asked about his grandparents? I mean he could assume that Voldie killed them, but he wouldn't know exactly why or how.

ReputationRep:
    Well, as far as we know Vold wasn't "after" Harry's family (esp going so far as to pick out specific muggles) until Harry was born- so wouldn't Petunia have mentioned it (being very recent) at the very beginning of Book 1? It seemed like if she had JUST lost her parents she would have talked about it enough at least that Uncle Vernon would have known Harry's NAME- it didn't seem that recent- if Vold DID kill their parents, he would have been after the Potters BEFORE the prophesy-

Do you think Dumbledore will be a little more forthcoming on the information this year? His silence cost them alot of time and effort last year-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    Well, as far as we know Vold wasn't "after" Harry's family (esp going so far as to pick out specific muggles) until Harry was born- so wouldn't Petunia have mentioned it (being very recent) at the very beginning of Book 1? It seemed like if she had JUST lost her parents she would have talked about it enough at least that Uncle Vernon would have known Harry's NAME- it didn't seem that recent- if Vold DID kill their parents, he would have been after the Potters BEFORE the prophesy-

Do you think Dumbledore will be a little more forthcoming on the information this year? His silence cost them alot of time and effort last year-
    I think that Dumblydore will feel pretty guilty. Hopefully he won't try and keep protecting Harry by withdrawing information from him. Harry's reaction to that would not be very good.

ReputationRep:
    ohh!! You guys writte a lot!!

For what I've just read petunia can't be a squib...but I can't see why voldemort would kill lily and petunia's parents...it doesn't make any sense...
    Maybe voldie went to her parents to find where lily and james lived...so voldei could kill harry...buy still, why hasn't j.k.r writted anything about that!!??

ReputationRep:
    Dumbledore won't make the same mistake again...I will probably tell everything to harry...but if dumbledore has something else to say to harry, why didn't he said before, in the night when he told harry the propehcy...maybe dumbledore doesn't have anything else to say....maybe someone else does...

ReputationRep:
    We dunno when both sets of Harry's grandparents were killed. Any chance that Lily's parents were actually killed in a car accident? I mean why would J K Rowling have Harry's aunt and uncle say that LIly and James were killed in one. Maybe Petunia grudgingly made that up because that's what happened to her parents. Lily's parents were muggle born, so a car accident could happen.

ReputationRep:
    Not a clue about the car accident theory- they would have to die in some sort of muggle way though, wouldn't they?

How did Sirius find Wormtail that first time? When Worm blasted the street? He must have known where to look right? Do you think Sirius went to the Senior Potters'? It just seems odd he found him so easily-

I think Dumbledore will tell him more- but there is some stuff he doesn't seem to know- H will have to find out some other way- I'll bet Hermy can look it up someplace- shes so far ahead of everyone else I wonder if they'll let her out early-

I wish you could look up spoilers like you can with TV! Or that she would at least give a release date!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikas)
    ohh!! You guys writte a lot!!

Maybe voldie went to her parents to find where lily and james lived...so voldei could kill harry...buy still, why hasn't j.k.r writted anything about that!!??
    that could be true. i think jk hasn´t said anything about that because the books are from harry´s point of view and before he went to hogwarts he knew almost nothing about his family, i mean petunia and vernon didn´t like to talk about harry´s parents and so he couldn´t ask about anything else. petunia was always telling harry not to ask questions.

ReputationRep:
    it is a little weird that sirius managed to find wormtail that day.

why didn´t peter hide from sirius in his animagus form once he found out what had happened in godric´s hollow? he should´ve known sirius would go looking for him.

ReputationRep:
    wow! u all ahve alot of time eh? (like to pretend i am canadain) i get on like once a day and i ahve at least 3 pages to skim umm i mean read. Do u guys post at school? We would probbaley be hung if we posted at our school I also kinda speak spanish. This had been brought up alot before but i can't get over the fact that harry has no other lving relatives.

I am still convinced snape works for volde, becuz i am still eaually positive that when snape looked at harry his scar hurt, it was not quirral looknig at harry out of the conrer of his eye.
    Thats all for now.

ReputationRep:
    I am still convinced snape works for volde, becuz i am still eaually positive that when snape looked at harry his scar hurt, it was not quirral looknig at harry out of the conrer of his eye.
    i know dumbledore trusts snape but it must have been something big snape did against voldie for dumby to trust him... jk must not have thought of a plausible reason for snape to switch sides which is why she isnt telling us

the only reason i could see snape working for voldie when dumble trusts him is if dumb is secretly working for voldie too

if i were writing it i would make dum a traitor just to make voldie seem less caricatured and piss everyone off; it would be so ironic- the epitome of "good" in hpseries is an illusion

too bad this series is heading toward a relative disney ending-- no offense, hardcore hp fans

(by the way, im experimenting with "dumbledore" shorthand in case u hadnt guessed)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Julia O.)
    if i were writing it i would make dum a traitor just to make voldie seem less caricatured and piss everyone off; it would be so ironic- the epitome of "good" in hpseries is an illusion

too bad this series is heading toward a relative disney ending-- no offense, hardcore hp fans
    I am actually quite suspicious of Dumbledore at the moment. To all appearances he seems like the good king-esque character...but then, the triumphant look along with other things have wavered my certanty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    I am actually quite suspicious of Dumbledore at the moment. To all appearances he seems like the good king-esque character...but then, the triumphant look along with other things have wavered my certanty.
    Well, I think that J K Rowling said that we will find out about the look of triumph later on. I hope that dear old Dumblydore is still a good old guy. There has already been 1 traitor who left a HUGE mark on the story, so whether or not J K Rowling will use a traitor story line again, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    yes, sort of like the cliché good king, eh? the guy who knows what's right and wrong an u cant tell him anything else? maybe he's getting radically conservative or else just tired in his old age... he needs to stop associating with harry to clear his mind or else harry's perpetual bad mood and "i'm a tragic hero" attitude will rub off on him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Julia O.)
    yes, sort of like the cliché good king, eh? the guy who knows what's right and wrong an u cant tell him anything else? maybe he's getting radically conservative or else just tired in his old age... he needs to stop associating with harry to clear his mind or else harry's perpetual bad mood and "i'm a tragic hero" attitude will rub off on him
    possibly...

ReputationRep:
    i don´t think jk is going to make dumbledore a traitor because she already used that and also that would mean that a whole bunch of people would be affected, pretty much the entire wizarding community likes bumbledore and trust him, plus he defeated that bad guy grindelwald. why would he get rid of a dark lord if he was evil too?
    and he´s been around for a really long time , he´s had a lot of opportunities to be bad and he hasn´t so i don´t see him as the bad guy.
    and about the look of triumph i think it was because voldemort now has harrys blood in him and that makes him mortal therefore he can be killed.

(Original post by ickle_katy)
    he will wake up and it'll all be a dream.

love Katy ***

ps. harry potter is the most rediculas waste of money i have ever seen, talk bout christmas being comercialized- u "fans" are stoopid.
    Sorry btu I found that ind of gunny, tat is the worst ending I have ever heard in ym life lol!

Anyway, as long as Harry beats the crap out of are so called dark lord and Bellatrix, he can die, OK its not like I am praying for it. But no writer in there right minds distroys the whole human race...Harry will win, but I bet a billion they'll be some sick twist attached to it.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, as long as Harry beats the crap out of are so called dark lord and Bellatrix, he can die, OK its not like I am praying for it. But no writer in there right minds distroys the whole human race...Harry will win, but I bet a billion they'll be some sick twist attached to it.
    Yeah, I can't wait to find out what that sick twist is.

I'm really hoping the dumbledore is not what we think he is... a traitor. Becuase saying that he is one is like saying that everyone else is. Dumbledore works hand in hand with a lot of people... the order, the portraits, lots of powerful wizards and witches, and soon enough, with the Ministry of Magic. If Dumbledore is, in fact, a traitor, it's like saying that all the aforementioned are just playing a sick joke on Harry... like they're putting on a show or something.. think the Truman Show, Jim Carrey.

ReputationRep:
    and... making Dumbledore a traitor... I think J.K. Rowling would be really sick and evil to do that. What will the kids think, then?! Never trust anyone... Muahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    and... making Dumbledore a traitor... I think J.K. Rowling would be really sick and evil to do that. What will the kids think, then?! Never trust anyone... Muahaha
    Exactly, what we've got to keep in mid is that the books are essentially childrens stories that are so well written they appeal to an older audience. Good will have to overcome evil, and faith in human nature will have to be restored, making the goodest person in the wizarding world a traitor would be so cynical, like saying there isn't a single good person out there, everyones evil. I think Dumbledore's mistakes are genuine, and just prove that he's only human.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.