The Student Room Group

What to take in A Level. Careers

I'm thinking of taking Biology and I.T in A Levels, but what sorts of careers are there. My interests are mainly based on Biology and I.T.
Well if you want to combine them, bioinformatics/systems biology/computational biology, among many other names for the same broad area, may be of interest. However usually Maths/FM would be a better preparation than IT at A-level standard - either doing a bioscience course and trying to pick up some programming/maths options/experience during that, or doing CS/Maths and trying to do some biologically relevant modules/projects.

Less academically, all healthcare providers need pretty robust IT systems - from medical documentation software, communications hardware and software, cybersecurity and so on. Imagine if all the computers went down in a hospital! So you could certainly work as an IT professional in that environment, which is likely to be more engaging (and challenging - and rewarding!) than a comparable business based IT/sysadmin role due to the nature of the workplace.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Well if you want to combine them, bioinformatics/systems biology/computational biology, among many other names for the same broad area, may be of interest. However usually Maths/FM would be a better preparation than IT at A-level standard - either doing a bioscience course and trying to pick up some programming/maths options/experience during that, or doing CS/Maths and trying to do some biologically relevant modules/projects.

Less academically, all healthcare providers need pretty robust IT systems - from medical documentation software, communications hardware and software, cybersecurity and so on. Imagine if all the computers went down in a hospital! So you could certainly work as an IT professional in that environment, which is likely to be more engaging (and challenging - and rewarding!) than a comparable business based IT/sysadmin role due to the nature of the workplace.

Thank you so much, this was very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest