Does handwriting matter in the Japanese GCSE?

Watch
JabbaThePug
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys, I'll be sitting my Japanese exam in 2019 and am wondering how much handwriting matters. I'm talking more about the kanji because I'd hate for whoever marks it to not be able to understand it because one line is wonky or too long.
Quizlet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't worry too much about handwriting. As long as it's legible.

Even if it is really bad, examiners try their best to decipher whatever is written.
Racsoix
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JabbaThePug)
Hey guys, I'll be sitting my Japanese exam in 2019 and am wondering how much handwriting matters. I'm talking more about the kanji because I'd hate for whoever marks it to not be able to understand it because one line is wonky or too long.
Good luck working with the new 9-1 spec. Isn't 2019 the first year it's happening for Japanese? Would be interested in a comparison once you've completed it.
Hydrogen-7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've only ever looked at Japanese script, but it looks like it calls for more precision than the Latin alphabet.

What I mean by that is that it could be easier to write something that looks like another character than it is in English.

However, seeing as you're sitting in 2019 I'm sure that any handwriting issues you have can be corrected during your course.
Graduate_Medic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Practice writing the kanji a lot and be careful when you write it in the exam. That's what I did for my GCSE exam
ripmerip
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Stroke order is important!!! Sure you're not marked on it but it makes your handwriting legible. Even with hiragana you must learn stroke order it's more important than it seems. Plus it makes kanji easier to write and look decent.
JabbaThePug
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Racsoix)
Good luck working with the new 9-1 spec. Isn't 2019 the first year it's happening for Japanese? Would be interested in a comparison once you've completed it.
Yeah it is the first year they're using 9-1, not looking forward to it lol
Racsoix
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JabbaThePug)
Yeah it is the first year they're using 9-1, not looking forward to it lol
I'm sure it will be fine I'm pretty sure you'll have checked it out already, but if not go and look here--

http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...se-SAMs%20.pdf

It has sample papers of all four exams I think with answers. Not exactly past papers but still maybe quite useful. I think a lot of the exam is just knowing exactly how they want you to answer questions and examiner reports and mark schemes are brilliant at telling you how to do that. Also here--

http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...anese-2017.pdf

You will find a list at the bottom of all current grammar points, vocab and kanji you need to know for the exam. I know it's a long way off but good luck I'll be sitting mine next year so if you need any advice later down the line then send me a PM and I'll do my best. Any reason you can't sit it next year? Or will you just not be prepared?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (45)
17.24%
No one else does (82)
31.42%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.73%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (88)
33.72%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.92%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.3%

Watched Threads