Rigby16
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have firmed an offer to study Forensic Psychology @ MMU but since applying I'd like to change my course to neuroscience/something neuron heavy. The problem is that the nearest neuroscience degree is in Lancashire which is too far away from family and i've never been before. It needs to be something in liverpool or manchester ideally. I know my only option now is clearing choices and there is a course at MMU called Human Biology but i'm unsure of what the units will really consist of. If there are any other courses in Liverpool or Manchester that anyone can find using the UCAS search tool for clearing that are neuroscience heavy i'd be eternally thankful
jsheard01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Look at local "straight" Psychology courses first as these are more likely to have neuroscience related modules than forensic psychology - LJMU, MMU or Salford for instance. Consider a longer term picture - Psychology degree followed by neuroscience masters. Not sure what you are predicted grade wise but Manchester offer undergrad degrees both Cognitive Psychology & neuroscience as well as single Neuroscience - Leeds too (if my Geography isn't completely off that's not too far from Manchester?). Don't consider the current UCAS clearing information to be definitive. Universities receive A levels results this weekend and over the next few days will be making decisions about their offer holders. There will be more added to clearing as we get closer to Thursday.
Alternatively, take a deep breath and if circumstances allow you to, be brave and consider courses further away.
Good luck with your decisions. please don't go and study a course you heart isn't into. Better if it comes to it to take an extra year and re-apply for the right course. With your exams in hand you stand a good chance of getting a swift "unconditional offer".
Rigby16
Rep:
?
(Original post by jsheard01)
Look at local "straight" Psychology courses first as these are more likely to have neuroscience related modules than forensic psychology - LJMU, MMU or Salford for instance. Consider a longer term picture - Psychology degree followed by neuroscience masters. Not sure what you are predicted grade wise but Manchester offer undergrad degrees both Cognitive Psychology & neuroscience as well as single Neuroscience - Leeds too (if my Geography isn't completely off that's not too far from Manchester?). Don't consider the current UCAS clearing information to be definitive. Universities receive A levels results this weekend and over the next few days will be making decisions about their offer holders. There will be more added to clearing as we get closer to Thursday.
Alternatively, take a deep breath and if circumstances allow you to, be brave and consider courses further away.
Good luck with your decisions. please don't go and study a course you heart isn't into. Better if it comes to it to take an extra year and re-apply for the right course. With your exams in hand you stand a good chance of getting a swift "unconditional offer".
Thank-you for the reply, for Manchester neuroscience you need chemistry which I have not done at A level and to do a masters in neuroscience you need an undergrad degree in a biological science and i don't think psychology is? I will have a look a-bit further however lancashire does have neuropsychology and neuroscience in clearing and the grades needed are very realistic it's just a shame its further away!
jsheard01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rigby16)
Thank-you for the reply, for Manchester neuroscience you need chemistry which I have not done at A level and to do a masters in neuroscience you need an undergrad degree in a biological science and i don't think psychology is? I will have a look a-bit further however lancashire does have neuropsychology and neuroscience in clearing and the grades needed are very realistic it's just a shame its further away!
Better to be brave and do the right undergrad degree even if that means going ouside your comfort zone and further away from the familiar. However, not all Neuroscience masters require a "biological science" so please do your research thoroughly before making any final decisions.I haven't done thorough research on this myself but although I found Manchester's did, equally York's Cognitive Neuroscience doesn't (they are happy with straight Psychology).
Rigby16
Rep:
?
(Original post by jsheard01)
Better to be brave and do the right undergrad degree even if that means going ouside your comfort zone and further away from the familiar. However, not all Neuroscience masters require a "biological science" so please do your research thoroughly before making any final decisions.I haven't done thorough research on this myself but although I found Manchester's did, equally York's Cognitive Neuroscience doesn't (they are happy with straight Psychology).
I'm only looking in the north west because that's where i wish to study and Liverpool and Manchester masters both require a biological science . This is such a predicament to be in. I know this is being cheeky but could you look at MMU's Human Biology and see if that would cover neuronal topics?
username3441700
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm only looking in the north west because that's where i wish to study and Liverpool and Manchester masters both require a biological science . This is such a predicament to be in. I know this is being cheeky but could you look at MMU's Human Biology and see if that would cover neuronal topics?
What about Keele? Its not too far away from Manchester around about an hour away and they have a vacancy for a forensic and neuroscience joint degree
Rigby16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Boredom101)
What about Keele? Its not too far away from Manchester around about an hour away and they have a vacancy for a forensic and neuroscience joint degree
I went to Keele university last year for Biology (PCR experiment) and I really didn't like the campus, everything felt and looked old, run-down and really isolated. It doesn't help that the Uni is basically in a forest. Plus I have no interest in Forensic Science at all, but thank-you so much for the suggestion!
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
I believe Manchester is the only university in the region that does a proper neuroscience degree, if you don't meet the entry requirements then perhaps consider doing their foundation year? Once completed you can move directly into the Neuroscience degree. http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...ourse-details/

I know this is being cheeky but could you look at MMU's Human Biology and see if that would cover neuronal topics?
These are the modules as given on the website, there may me other modules too, you should contact the department directly for a full course list. As you can see, there's a bit of neuroscience, but not a much.

Year 1:

Biomolecules, Cells and Microorganisms
Introduction to Physical Activity and Health
Skills for Healthcare Science
Systems Physiology

Year 2:

Applied and Environmental Physiology
Human Neuroscience
Infection and Immunity
Disease Processes
Exercise and Nutritional Physiology
Techniques and Applications in Molecular Biology

Year 3:

Health Physiology
Microbiology and Health
Research Project
Genetics, DNA and Human Disease
Physiology of Ageing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?