The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

Getting into uni with only GCSEs

Okay so,I left school at 16 due to family circumstances involving mental health,I don't have any a levels but got 9 A* - C GCSES despite my terrible attendance (due to home issues) I now,at 18 really want to attend uni and further my education like all of my friends,I enrolled to an access course but unfortunately turn 19(the required age) 10 days after the start date and will not be allowed to go on the course.I was just wondering if anyone had any realistic ideas,I'm so upset that I won't be graduating along with all my friends and I really don't want to wait another year to do the access course.Any advice would be much appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by Meganthompson98
Okay so,I left school at 16 due to family circumstances involving mental health,I don't have any a levels but got 9 A* - C GCSES despite my terrible attendance (due to home issues) I now,at 18 really want to attend uni and further my education like all of my friends,I enrolled to an access course but unfortunately turn 19(the required age) 10 days after the start date and will not be allowed to go on the course.I was just wondering if anyone had any realistic ideas,I'm so upset that I won't be graduating along with all my friends and I really don't want to wait another year to do the access course.Any advice would be much appreciated

Most colleges will allow you to do A Levels at 18, have you asked any?
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
I'm fairly sure that you can still do an access course at your age, but since you're under 19 you'd have to finance it yourself. But why are you in such a rush to graduate at the same time as your friends? Majority of friends from secondary school go to different uni's, usually in different parts of the country. I only ever see my old mates who go far away uni's once a year anyway - so why do you feel you must graduate at the same time? The other option is a BTEC course, which is usually two years. However some universities accept just a diploma (which results in two grades and I think only takes a year to complete) so you could look that up as well. I've completed a level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science long after my secondary friends started uni-but it doesn't affect our friendship in the slightest. We still meet up in London to play cricket or football every now and then. Overall I'm just saying that don't feel gutted if you don't go to university in a year, relax and don't rush, explore your options and consider all of them - find one that makes YOU happy. Do you know how many people rush to university and dislike their course choice or university choice? It's so much nicer to go when you're sure you've found something you enjoy. Keep your chin up!! 👍

Also you may want to check out this thread, looks pretty useful
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=744275
Hey Megan,

What type of course are you looking to do? I dropped out of school in the middle of 6th year. I had no grades. I got into my first year at university this year without grades, just purely work ethic and work experience. I start in September. I got an unconditional for Bsc Adult Nursing, I don't have maths or A levels.

You can get your grades through evening school at college. You can get (ILA) to help you. Don't put pressure on yourself with graduating at the same time as your friends. Focus on yourself you'll get along much better. I'm 25 and that's me just decided what I want to do. If your working then I would focus on getting work experience and even voluntary work depending on what you want to do. Sometimes work experience is better and with your own experience with mental health then you would be a strong candidate for getting into a health course. But that's depends on what you want to do as a job. Any more advice please ask away. Xx
Original post by IWMTom
Most colleges will allow you to do A Levels at 18, have you asked any?

Yep been around to most of the colleges in my area,a levels would be a two year course rather than the access course which is only nine months,because I'm turning 19 it's a lot more expensive than the access course,so thinking I'll just wait another year unfortunately
Reply 6
Yep been around to most of the colleges in my area,a levels would be a two year course rather than the access course which is only nine months,because I'm turning 19 it's a lot more expensive than the access course,so thinking I'll just wait another year unfortunately

But you should still be eligible for funding for normal entry a levels if you're only 18...
Original post by AliNayeri
I'm fairly sure that you can still do an access course at your age, but since you're under 19 you'd have to finance it yourself. But why are you in such a rush to graduate at the same time as your friends? Majority of friends from secondary school go to different uni's, usually in different parts of the country. I only ever see my old mates who go far away uni's once a year anyway - so why do you feel you must graduate at the same time? The other option is a BTEC course, which is usually two years. However some universities accept just a diploma (which results in two grades and I think only takes a year to complete) so you could look that up as well. I've completed a level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science long after my secondary friends started uni-but it doesn't affect our friendship in the slightest. We still meet up in London to play cricket or football every now and then. Overall I'm just saying that don't feel gutted if you don't go to university in a year, relax and don't rush, explore your options and consider all of them - find one that makes YOU happy. Do you know how many people rush to university and dislike their course choice or university choice? It's so much nicer to go when you're sure you've found something you enjoy. Keep your chin up!! 👍

Nope,wrote to my local college and was told due to an insurance issue I wouldn't be able to attend,even though I was more than willing to fund myself. As for the whole friends thing,I'm just a bit anxiety ridden knowing I will literally have no one I'm familiar with around me,they're all going to be off progressing and experiencing things,making new friends ect,and I feel as though I haven't progressed,I really appreciate the reassurance though! Just feel as though my life's a bit stagnant which I know everyone experiences once in a lifetime,I'm just ready to get out there now and feel as though I'm having to overcome all these obstacles,but yes doesn't look like I'll be at uni anytime soon,may be time to rethink,but thank you so much for the advice :smile:
Original post by IWMTom
But you should still be eligible for funding for normal entry a levels if you're only 18...

I was told by multiple people I was too old to receive funding for the two year a level course,and too young to enter the access course even though I was prepared to fund myself,I'm not massively interested in the two year a level course anyway,by the time I've finished it I'd be two more year behind,rather than waiting a year to get on the access course and doing that for 9 months and then only doing 2 years at uni,rather than the 5 years of a levels and uni combined.
Reply 9
I was told by multiple people I was too old to receive funding for the two year a level course,and too young to enter the access course even though I was prepared to fund myself,I'm not massively interested in the two year a level course anyway,by the time I've finished it I'd be two more year behind,rather than waiting a year to get on the access course and doing that for 9 months and then only doing 2 years at uni,rather than the 5 years of a levels and uni combined.

I was under the impression providing you're under 19 at the start of the course, it will be funded?
Original post by IWMTom
I was under the impression providing you're under 19 at the start of the course, it will be funded?

So did I,I've spoken to the head of the course and was told I'd be too old when the course starts (I turn 19 on the 11th) and I've also emailed the head of department and been told I'm too young for the access course,which is super confusing to me,because I've seen people post on here (like in the link below) that people as young as 16 were doing the access course! url]https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=744275

Obviously a bit discouraged especially considering I would fund myself for the access course if necessary
I understand that you feel a close to your current school friends, however, it is unlikely that you'd all graduate together anyway.

Courses are different lengths, and you are assuming that all of them will make it through.

Most people's friends base changes when they go to university.

Decide on what *you* want to do, for yourself. Don't take your friends into account for any of this. Don't rush to get to uni just because you think you should or because you want to be like your friends.
Reply 12
So did I,I've spoken to the head of the course and was told I'd be too old when the course starts (I turn 19 on the 11th) and I've also emailed the head of department and been told I'm too young for the access course,which is super confusing to me,because I've seen people post on here (like in the link below) that people as young as 16 were doing the access course! url]https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=744275

Obviously a bit discouraged especially considering I would fund myself for the access course if necessary

Ah you're one of those people who were born JUST at the wrong time. That's really unlucky! I don't have a solution I'm afraid :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending