My cat is scared of a toddler guest/ advice please!!

Watch this thread
MiracleBoySATORI
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My cat is a half outdoor indoor cat . Nowadays she seems like a full outdoor cat and I have to fetch her at sunset because she can not be out at night due to some nerve/vision damage from an accident.

She usually comes inside because she knows shes better off inside when its dark but lately shes too frightened of an overly excited toddler who screams CAT CAT CAT !! and jumps at her. She does not touch her anymore as shes been bitten each time and i was not necessarily worried however
Shes been meowing too frequently and has been looking at me right in the eyes and trilling and walking around me in circles.
Im scared as she has long term damage to her nerves and shes been too jumpy and confused lately at the pure shock of a toddler pouncing on her 24/7 I MEAN 24/7!!!! ALL THE TIME SHE COMES BACK INSIDE.

I hide her in my room and stuff but you know toddlers seem to find everything these days lol.

Am i being worried for nothing? what is my adorable fluff trying to tell me? She looks so sad, she looks at me and i feel butterflies in my stomach ( im inlove with my cat thats why this is in relationships) she knows how to pull my strings. The toddler isnt leaving anytime soon , what does everyone think?????????????????
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MiracleBoySATORI)
My cat is a half outdoor indoor cat . Nowadays she seems like a full outdoor cat and I have to fetch her at sunset because she can not be out at night due to some nerve/vision damage from an accident.

She usually comes inside because she knows shes better off inside when its dark but lately shes too frightened of an overly excited toddler who screams CAT CAT CAT !! and jumps at her. She does not touch her anymore as shes been bitten each time and i was not necessarily worried however
Shes been meowing too frequently and has been looking at me right in the eyes and trilling and walking around me in circles.
Im scared as she has long term damage to her nerves and shes been too jumpy and confused lately at the pure shock of a toddler pouncing on her 24/7 I MEAN 24/7!!!! ALL THE TIME SHE COMES BACK INSIDE.

I hide her in my room and stuff but you know toddlers seem to find everything these days lol.

Am i being worried for nothing? what is my adorable fluff trying to tell me? She looks so sad, she looks at me and i feel butterflies in my stomach ( im inlove with my cat thats why this is in relationships) she knows how to pull my strings. The toddler isnt leaving anytime soon , what does everyone think?????????????????
Give her some bolt holes/hidey holes that are high up and way out of reach of the toddler.

Are there any child gates that keep the toddler out of certain rooms? If so again set up some boxed/blankets for your cat to spend time relaxing in those rooms.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Oh and speak to the toddler.

Teach them how to "say hello " in cat (you point at the cat and stay still - if the cat comes over and nose bumps then it is saying hello back and might be ok with stroking, if not then the cat doesn't want to "play" right now). Teaching the toddler some basic cat "manners" will help them understand how to behave better around the cat and be more predictable. Make sure to teach that chasing and grabbing is cruel and makes the cat scared.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Give her some places to hide. If possible leave a door so it's just open enough for the cat and tell toddler they aren't allowed in/ wedge the door.
Try to make a warm hiding place in the garden too (just a plastic box and blanket will do) so the cat can hang out there until she feels comfortable enough to come in/ you come to get her. You could even put a little light there if her vision is an issue.
Feed her near her hiding place so she knows it's for her and doesn't have to brave toddler to eat.

Give cat some extra cuddles and attention when she's hiding away and feels safe to remind her how important she is. A little treat in the evening when she comes in might be nice.
If possible, try to make a toddler free route to a safe room/ hiding place so she can go in and out without stress.
Basically try to make it so cat can do all the important things in life away from toddler.
Try to encourage toddler not to yell or touch too much. I know it's not exactly easy though.

Also, you can look into things like cat nip to de-stress your cat a bit. Some cats go crazy with it, some are more chill. You could give them a cat nip toy or some grass in a hiding place or near the door.
MiracleBoySATORI
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Kindred)
Give her some places to hide. If possible leave a door so it's just open enough for the cat and tell toddler they aren't allowed in/ wedge the door.
Try to make a warm hiding place in the garden too (just a plastic box and blanket will do) so the cat can hang out there until she feels comfortable enough to come in/ you come to get her. You could even put a little light there if her vision is an issue.
Feed her near her hiding place so she knows it's for her and doesn't have to brave toddler to eat.

Give cat some extra cuddles and attention when she's hiding away and feels safe to remind her how important she is. A little treat in the evening when she comes in might be nice.
If possible, try to make a toddler free route to a safe room/ hiding place so she can go in and out without stress.
Basically try to make it so cat can do all the important things in life away from toddler.
Try to encourage toddler not to yell or touch too much. I know it's not exactly easy though.

Also, you can look into things like cat nip to de-stress your cat a bit. Some cats go crazy with it, some are more chill. You could give them a cat nip toy or some grass in a hiding place or near the door.

Thanks for the advice, She sleeps in the garden peacefully on a piece of carboard, now i encourage her to enter through the garden door instead of the front door.
The toddler came from some European country and she dosnt know a wink of english lol. But Google translate came in handy and now i can say "the cat is scared dont do that" or things like this.
Luckily theres only a week left,after that I'll look into more ways to help her calm down and recover because I dont want her nerve damage affecting her sooner than the vets predicted (shes only 4)
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MiracleBoySATORI)
Thanks for the advice, She sleeps in the garden peacefully on a piece of carboard, now i encourage her to enter through the garden door instead of the front door.
The toddler came from some European country and she dosnt know a wink of english lol. But Google translate came in handy and now i can say "the cat is scared dont do that" or things like this.
Luckily theres only a week left,after that I'll look into more ways to help her calm down and recover because I dont want her nerve damage affecting her sooner than the vets predicted (shes only 4)
Sounds like a good plan. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (78)
18.89%
The paper was reasonable (154)
37.29%
Not feeling great about that exam... (117)
28.33%
It was TERRIBLE (64)
15.5%

Watched Threads