What off timetable GCSE should I take? Please help!

Watch
Chancellor
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am going into Year 10 in September, which is the first year of my GCSE course. I am taking 11 GCSEs all together at the moment (Triple Science, English, Maths, Economics, French, Drama and History). I am an academic scholar and want to do an academic job in my future, and my parents and the teachers want me to take an off timetable GCSE - I also want to do this. My three options are either Spanish, Geography or Religious Studies.

Spanish: At my old school, we start learning Spanish in Year 5. However, I did not start to do Spanish until Year 7. Therefore, I missed lots of basic Spanish such as school, weather and so on, and I have not fully caught up with that. I did an exam in Spanish in Year 8 and it was my highest grade at about 90 percent. However, I find it really boring, but I'm quite good at it.

Geography: The Head of Geography really wants me to take this. However, I don't know global location well (I can learn it though) and I think the course is huge. Is it?

RS: I think I could do this quite well as I am good at English and I am told that RS is similar to English but just different information. How big is the course? Is it easy to do off timetable if you work hard?

I'm not sure which I enjoy most, and don't know what to do. At the moment I'm swaying closer towards Geography or RS, but not sure. What do you think?
thekidwhogames
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would say to take RS. GCSE Spanish is completely and utterly useless unless you plan to take it for A level and potentially beyond. Likewise, GCSE Geography isn't that useful for the same reason. Moreover, GCSE Geography just contains scientific information that can be found in science revision guides or generally, scientific knowledge. A level Geography is what you should take if you want to go for Geography. I would take RS in your place - it's easy, similar to English and has a lot of content that can be useful as it covers everyday topics i.e. religion, homosexuality, euthanasia, law, etc.

However, if you really want to take a subject - I would say take Maths A Level (or at least AS).
Leighamc
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
RS is the easiest, and would probably be best for an off-timetable GCSE
ron weasleys
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wouldn't do Spanish; you don't want to do a subject you find tedious for 2 years.

My Geography course was pretty big, but some people really loved it and found it easy. It just depends on you. Also for my course, we didn't need to know global locations really, so you should research and see if yours will. Geography is good though, because you learn about the world around you and start to develop some skills.

Do RS if you want it to be easy (and you also learn some very interesting and useful stuff); do geog if you like a challenge.
Chancellor
Rep:
?
(Original post by thekidwhogames)
I would say to take RS. GCSE Spanish is completely and utterly useless unless you plan to take it for A level and potentially beyond. Likewise, GCSE Geography isn't that useful for the same reason. Moreover, GCSE Geography just contains scientific information that can be found in science revision guides or generally, scientific knowledge. A level Geography is what you should take if you want to go for Geography. I would take RS in your place - it's easy, similar to English and has a lot of content that can be useful as it covers everyday topics i.e. religion, homosexuality, euthanasia, law, etc.

However, if you really want to take a subject - I would say take Maths A Level (or at least AS).
Thank you! I think I'm going to take RS
Chancellor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leighamc)
RS is the easiest, and would probably be best for an off-timetable GCSE
Thank you! I think I'm going to take RS, as it will be easier.
Chancellor
Rep:
?
(Original post by ron weasleys)
I wouldn't do Spanish; you don't want to do a subject you find tedious for 2 years.

My Geography course was pretty big, but some people really loved it and found it easy. It just depends on you. Also for my course, we didn't need to know global locations really, so you should research and see if yours will. Geography is good though, because you learn about the world around you and start to develop some skills.

Do RS if you want it to be easy (and you also learn some very interesting and useful stuff); do geog if you like a challenge.
Thank you, I think I'd like to do RS so it's easier and quicker.
Chancellor
Rep:
?
Anymore opinions would be greatly valued! Spanish, Geography or RS?
ellie1652
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
RS is probably the easiest out of the three for most people but I'd recommend Geography as it is a good subject for A level as it's a facillitating subject so it might be more useful in the long run as it'll keep your options open. However, if your already dead certain you're going to do other subjects at A level then I'd definitely do RS as it'll be an easier option allowing you to potentially get a higher grade
Quizlet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Religous studies.
TeacupAndTragedy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I took an additional, off timetable GCSE also.

First things first; do not take Spanish off timetable, in my opinion; I took GCSE Spanish and in my school I'm regarded as 'talented' with language and I struggled with it despite it being in my timetable. A quick word of advice; if you find a subject boring already, you are going to struggle with getting yourself to revise for it in your own time. My off timetable was Music, and even though I adore it and knew a lot of the theory already, I still had to sit down and make myself revise for it (or teach myself the course, rather, considering I had no lessons in it)- that will be so difficult to do with a subject that is not only huge on its own, but also one that you are not passionate about.

Okay, so as for your other subjects- I hear GCSE Geography is largely science based, and I don't doubt that the information you learn in Triple Science can be useful in Geography. However, I've also been told that it is a huge course- and if you take part in some of the school trips (in my school they were mandatory, but I'm not sure about anywhere else) then you'll most likely be missing some of your other lessons, meaning you'll have more to catch up with. Are you considering taking it at A Level? If so, GCSE will be useful, but is not mandatory in many cases- check with your Sixth Forms.

Finally, RS- this is the one I would take, as I really enjoyed it. Furthermore, many of the topics are relevant to society and interesting, so it shouldn't be too hard to learn- I also hear that the course isn't as big as some other subjects- but bare in mind that it is still a whole GCSE! RS is usually taken to demonstrate debate skills as well as people skills, so it could be useful- not sure if you'd need it to take any A Levels, however.

If you would like any more information, let me know
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ellie1652)
RS is probably the easiest out of the three for most people but I'd recommend Geography as it is a good subject for A level as it's a facillitating subject so it might be more useful in the long run as it'll keep your options open. However, if yo

Absolutely esp as the 11 is inc triple science ...
Geography is a very useful subject at both GCSE and A Level... not sure of the value of Economics at GCSE ahead of doing both history and geography.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wouldn't do any of them -concentrate on the ones you're already doing and get the best possible grades in those. YOu won't need more than 8 GCSEs so 11 is ample and fewer, better grades is better than more and worse.
Chancellor
Rep:
?
(Original post by ellie1652)
RS is probably the easiest out of the three for most people but I'd recommend Geography as it is a good subject for A level as it's a facillitating subject so it might be more useful in the long run as it'll keep your options open. However, if your already dead certain you're going to do other subjects at A level then I'd definitely do RS as it'll be an easier option allowing you to potentially get a higher grade
(Original post by zippyRN)
Absolutely esp as the 11 is inc triple science ...
Geography is a very useful subject at both GCSE and A Level... not sure of the value of Economics at GCSE ahead of doing both history and geography.
Thanks for your opinions! I was thinking, if I do not enjoy economics then I will take Geography instead on timetable (as they are in the same option block - we have blocks at our school to choose GCSEs). For off timetable, I am pretty sure I will do RS as I want to try and get a higher grade and RS is a smaller course than the other two subjects. Just wondering (if any of you know), what does the Geography GCSE entail? Thanks!
Chancellor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quizlet)
Religous studies.
Thank you!

(Original post by TeacupAndTragedy)
I took an additional, off timetable GCSE also.

First things first; do not take Spanish off timetable, in my opinion; I took GCSE Spanish and in my school I'm regarded as 'talented' with language and I struggled with it despite it being in my timetable. A quick word of advice; if you find a subject boring already, you are going to struggle with getting yourself to revise for it in your own time. My off timetable was Music, and even though I adore it and knew a lot of the theory already, I still had to sit down and make myself revise for it (or teach myself the course, rather, considering I had no lessons in it)- that will be so difficult to do with a subject that is not only huge on its own, but also one that you are not passionate about.

Okay, so as for your other subjects- I hear GCSE Geography is largely science based, and I don't doubt that the information you learn in Triple Science can be useful in Geography. However, I've also been told that it is a huge course- and if you take part in some of the school trips (in my school they were mandatory, but I'm not sure about anywhere else) then you'll most likely be missing some of your other lessons, meaning you'll have more to catch up with. Are you considering taking it at A Level? If so, GCSE will be useful, but is not mandatory in many cases- check with your Sixth Forms.

Finally, RS- this is the one I would take, as I really enjoyed it. Furthermore, many of the topics are relevant to society and interesting, so it shouldn't be too hard to learn- I also hear that the course isn't as big as some other subjects- but bare in mind that it is still a whole GCSE! RS is usually taken to demonstrate debate skills as well as people skills, so it could be useful- not sure if you'd need it to take any A Levels, however.

If you would like any more information, let me know
Wow, thank you for being so thorough, it is very helpful! Since you did RS (and I will probably do it to get a higher grade), what does the RS exam entail? Also, is it a useful GCSE to have?

(Original post by Compost)
I wouldn't do any of them -concentrate on the ones you're already doing and get the best possible grades in those. YOu won't need more than 8 GCSEs so 11 is ample and fewer, better grades is better than more and worse.
Thank you! I think I will try to do an off-timetable GCSE, however if I find it too much I will definitely drop it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (65)
36.52%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
10.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (44)
24.72%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
13.48%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
8.43%

Watched Threads