The Student Room Group

Advice about life/uni experience please!

Don't know where to start with this problem/situation that I have been experiencing for a while.

1st year that has finished business management course. Passed all modules (>60%). However, didn't continue 2nd year since it didn't look interesting, particularly more boring since its theories and more lectures. I ended up taking a gap year after completing first year of the business management course.

Now that my gap year is coming to an end. I don't know whether to go back to uni and study my current course towards 2nd year. Or if I should change course and study something different. But don't know what to study since I don't have confidence in studying something different.

During this year, I haven't applied for much apprenticeships vacancies since there wasn't any of interest. Applied for a few but didn't get anywhere. Looked at the job market, it's really competitive since they want either degree or relevant experience. So ended just giving up. Staying at home just makes me feel weak and ill.

Don't know who to talk to or seek advice from. Uni is a big commitment and I don't know whether I should go back and put my head down and get through it. I don't know if I can do this!

Didn't want to go uni in the fist place, since I just hated studying, I get feed up doing it every year. There is no joy and it's always repetitive. Going lesson, take notes, revise notes and then prepare for exams/course work. Honestly I didn't like the whole uni experience, I study at uni ranked very low in the tables and the student there don't really care about studying . Either they don't turn up to seminar or they just go on holiday during the academic period.

So it's really hard making friends there. Especially when no one wants to learn.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by tarak2016
Don't know where to start with this problem/situation that I have been experiencing for a while.

1st year that has finished business management course. Passed all modules (>60%). However, didn't continue 2nd year since it didn't look interesting, particularly more boring since its theories and more lectures. I ended up taking a gap year after completing first year of the business management course.

Now that my gap year is coming to an end. I don't know whether to go back to uni and study my current course towards 2nd year. Or if I should change course and study something different. But don't know what to study since I don't have confidence in studying something different.

During this year, I haven't applied for much apprenticeships vacancies since there wasn't any of interest. Applied for a few but didn't get anywhere. Looked at the job market, it's really competitive since they want either degree or relevant experience. So ended just giving up. Staying at home just makes me feel weak and ill.

Don't know who to talk to or seek advice from. Uni is a big commitment and I don't know whether I should go back and put my head down and get through it. I don't know if I can do this!

Didn't want to go uni in the fist place, since I just hated studying, I get feed up doing it every year. There is no joy and it's always repetitive. Going lesson, take notes, revise notes and then prepare for exams/course work. Honestly I didn't like the whole uni experience, I study at uni ranked very low in the tables and the student there don't really care about studying . Either they don't turn up to seminar or they just go on holiday during the academic period.

So it's really hard making friends there. Especially when no one wants to learn.

You have t weigh up the pros and cons.

I would point out:

You might be on the wrong course
You might be at the wrong uni.

Dont like the course, so you may start to do poorly
You arent happy
You dont enjoy it.

You did the right thing leaving year 1 to give yourself time to think

You dont sound ready to go back and the difference is if you do then you wont get a second chance to have full finance on a degree of your choice.

Imo take another gap and do something that gives you time like a job, volunteer or apprenticeship. Yes I know you tried, but you will just have to improve your applications. You need time to sort out what you really want to do and find something that interests you through research. Work from the other angle of looking at careers that interest you and then how to get the qualifications needed.

Theres plenty of time to go to uni, but you only have one real chance left to get it right , study something interesting and go to a place where you can have a fun time. Make that choice carefully. Take years if needed and o when ready. It should be a chore.

If you have poor A levels then do an Access course to get you into somewhere better.
Reply 2
Hi, Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your time in advising me in my situation. I am 22 and i feel like ive let myself down to be honest. All my friends have gained their degree and got into graduate schemes and are earning a decent salary. Im happy for them of course, but i just feel very down since i ask myself WHY cant that be ME!?

I've spoken to family members about this and they said you just need to get a degree in order to sustain a well paid job and thats all i want. but then again i just dont know what to study in order to get myself a degree. Going back and studying the current course (business management) is going to be a massive commitment for the next 2 years. Going to lectures, classes, completing assignments - is going to be hard when i dont have an interest in the course.

As i get older, life becomes more difficult and challenging. i just dont know what to do! i dont know what is the right decision for me going forward. i haven't yet applied for student finance and i have to make a decision soon.

Original post by 999tigger
You have t weigh up the pros and cons.

I would point out:

You might be on the wrong course
You might be at the wrong uni.

Dont like the course, so you may start to do poorly
You arent happy
You dont enjoy it.

You did the right thing leaving year 1 to give yourself time to think

You dont sound ready to go back and the difference is if you do then you wont get a second chance to have full finance on a degree of your choice.

Imo take another gap and do something that gives you time like a job, volunteer or apprenticeship. Yes I know you tried, but you will just have to improve your applications. You need time to sort out what you really want to do and find something that interests you through research. Work from the other angle of looking at careers that interest you and then how to get the qualifications needed.

Theres plenty of time to go to uni, but you only have one real chance left to get it right , study something interesting and go to a place where you can have a fun time. Make that choice carefully. Take years if needed and o when ready. It should be a chore.

If you have poor A levels then do an Access course to get you into somewhere better.
Original post by tarak2016
Hi, Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your time in advising me in my situation. I am 22 and i feel like ive let myself down to be honest. All my friends have gained their degree and got into graduate schemes and are earning a decent salary. Im happy for them of course, but i just feel very down since i ask myself WHY cant that be ME!?

I've spoken to family members about this and they said you just need to get a degree in order to sustain a well paid job and thats all i want. but then again i just dont know what to study in order to get myself a degree. Going back and studying the current course (business management) is going to be a massive commitment for the next 2 years. Going to lectures, classes, completing assignments - is going to be hard when i dont have an interest in the course.

As i get older, life becomes more difficult and challenging. i just dont know what to do! i dont know what is the right decision for me going forward. i haven't yet applied for student finance and i have to make a decision soon.

Beating yourself up = pointless.
Comparing yourself to others = pointless

Make a choice knuckle down and do a degree you hate and are in no way guaranteed to do well in if you end up disliking it and lonely or make another option. Youve had all year.

If you arent interested just pick something you are interested in.

Get yourself into a position where you can id the degree you might enjoy or the job youd like to do. You seem to be spending more energy on procrastinating.

Even worse if you jump into a degree you dont like because you rushed then you just end up with a lot of debt.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/039957820X/ref=pd_ys_c_rfy_266239_2?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=039957820X&pd_rd_r=45AP6HS0FY8JRTSFSS9V&pd_rd_w=Kraxk&pd_rd_wg=kQ8ZX&psc=1&refRID=VZ0QPYEBBPJ4Q5MWBZCZ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/031623673X/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D07EVJFZN0MQ5QSR4D5A

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1451608322/ref=pd_sim_14_14?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D07EVJFZN0MQ5QSR4D5A

All can help you identify a career that you might like to do, then pick the appropriate degree to get you there..
Reply 4
I'll look into those books you have suggested. I really hope I can find something and then just put 100% concerntration upon it.

Thanks for letting me know about these books.

Original post by 999tigger
Beating yourself up = pointless.
Comparing yourself to others = pointless

Make a choice knuckle down and do a degree you hate and are in no way guaranteed to do well in if you end up disliking it and lonely or make another option. Youve had all year.

If you arent interested just pick something you are interested in.

Get yourself into a position where you can id the degree you might enjoy or the job youd like to do. You seem to be spending more energy on procrastinating.

Even worse if you jump into a degree you dont like because you rushed then you just end up with a lot of debt.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/039957820X/ref=pd_ys_c_rfy_266239_2?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=039957820X&pd_rd_r=45AP6HS0FY8JRTSFSS9V&pd_rd_w=Kraxk&pd_rd_wg=kQ8ZX&psc=1&refRID=VZ0QPYEBBPJ4Q5MWBZCZ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/031623673X/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D07EVJFZN0MQ5QSR4D5A

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1451608322/ref=pd_sim_14_14?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D07EVJFZN0MQ5QSR4D5A

All can help you identify a career that you might like to do, then pick the appropriate degree to get you there..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending