Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

California Muslim forced to remove hijab awarded $85k settlement Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40905758

A Muslim woman who was forced to removed her hijab by Californian police has been awarded $85,000 (£65,000).

Kirsty Powell filed a lawsuit against Long Beach City Council after she was made to take off her headscarf following her arrest in 2015.

Ms Powell's repeated requests to be dealt with by a female officer were ignored, and she spent the night in custody without her headscarf. The department has since changed its policy on religious headwear.

Female officers are now required to remove headscarves, away from male officers and inmates, and only "when necessary for officer safety", Long Beach assistant city attorney Monte Machit told the Los Angeles Times.

ReputationRep:
    What a waste of money... The banning of them should become commonplace...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ᒍack)
    So you want to dictate what women are able to wear
    But I thought you were against that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ᒍack)
    The police violated her religious freedoms, she was absolutely right to sue.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why wearing one is a problem?

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous - it's her own fault for getting herself arrested.

And what a surprise, it's cuckold California.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dot.Cotton)
    Ridiculous - it's her own fault for getting herself arrested.

And what a surprise, it's cuckold California.
    You're my favourite troll now.
    The dedication,the staying in character 10/10
    Have you ever considered a career in acting?

ReputationRep:
    Great I've had so many people close to me complaining about everything they've all have been dealt with I think people should do what they want. Like myself. I don't like ********s.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, happy for her.

ReputationRep:
    Lol there seems to be some jealously on this thread. You guys complaining isn't gonna take away her 65k

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Command&Conquer)
    The police violated her religious freedoms, she was absolutely right to sue.
    Agreed. I'd potentially question whether she suffered £65k's worth of damage, but it's always pretty tricky to put a price on these sorts of harm.

ReputationRep:
    Good for her, why does a headscarf bother racists so much. Why don't people just concentrate on themselves and their own lives rather than getting offended and triggered by others beliefs and attire

If a girl is allowed to wear revealing clothes, why can't others be allowed to cover up and dress modestly if they want to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbit1234)
    Good for her, why does a headscarf bother racists so much. Why don't people just concentrate on themselves and their own lives rather than getting offended and triggered by others beliefs and attire

If a girl is allowed to wear revealing clothes, why can't others be allowed to cover up and dress modestly if they want to
    Exactly. People don't see the irony now in trying to forbid religious clothing. Let people wear what they want, if you're religious it's your job to avert your gaze if people are wearing revealing clothes.

ReputationRep:
    What a joke, either conform to the laws of a country that grants you to stay with their privileges or leave

ReputationRep:
    I think the officers who removed the hijab should've got the payout.
    They're the ones who had to see her disgusting face & hair as one, that in itself must've been a horrific experience they will never recover from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ᒍack)
    I think the officers who removed the hijab should've got the payout, they had to see her disgusting hair and face as one, that in itself must've been a horrific scene.
    I'm speechless at your ignorance. Not even a troll without morals would make such a comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boredom101)
    I'm speechless at your ignorance. Not even a troll without morals would make such a comment.
    Ooooo I went there.

ReputationRep:
    Good. Expected the disgusting comments from Islamophobes on here though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ᒍack)
    Ooooo I went there.
    You didn't "go" anywhere except further into your own stupidity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h333)
    Good. Expected the disgusting comments from Islamophobes on here though.
    Islamophobe?

Uhm excuse me? I'm being Islamophobic by saying she's disgusting? Typical... Thanks for getting offended

+I'd also like to add, in saying that you're basically asserting the Islamic women are ugly...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: August 13, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your GCSE results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.