A - Maths
A - History
A - Art
A - Additional Science
A - Short Course Ethics
B - Core Science
C - Drama
C - Spanish

I'm well aware of how prestigious and hard to get into LSE is, however I know this course is probably one of the less popular ones (compared to Law, Economics etc.) and is definitely one of the lowest for entry requirements (AAB). Considering my GCSE grades, and my A-Level predicted grades which will be AAB or AAA, how likely do you think I am of being accepted onto this course (2018 entry? I'm also doing an EPQ and have a range of non-academic/extra-curricular to put on my personal statement (prefect, college senate on social committee, college magazine etc.) Also, for anyone who has studied this course at LSE or a similar course at a different uni, what are you thoughts on it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rachelizabethh)
Hello everyone!

For my GCSEs, I recieved:
A - English Lang
A - English Lit
A - Maths
A - History
A - Art
A - Additional Science
A - Short Course Ethics
B - Core Science
C - Drama
C - Spanish

I'm well aware of how prestigious and hard to get into LSE is, however I know this course is probably one of the less popular ones (compared to Law, Economics etc.) and is definitely one of the lowest for entry requirements (AAB). Considering my GCSE grades, and my A-Level predicted grades which will be AAB or AAA, how likely do you think I am of being accepted onto this course (2018 entry? I'm also doing an EPQ and have a range of non-academic/extra-curricular to put on my personal statement (prefect, college senate on social committee, college magazine etc.) Also, for anyone who has studied this course at LSE or a similar course at a different uni, what are you thoughts on it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Nobody can tell you how likely it is that you will be accepted, we aren't admission tutors. However your GCSE grades are absolutely fine, if you don't get in, it won't be because of your GCSEs.
rachelizabethh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
Nobody can tell you how likely it is that you will be accepted, we aren't admission tutors. However your GCSE grades are absolutely fine, if you don't get in, it won't be because of your GCSEs.
I'm aware of this, but someone might have some insight/personal experience as to how people with those grades usually do for that course at LSE. I've heard a lot about how LSE demands very high GCSE results, but nothing about that course in particular so I wondered how it might differ from more competitive courses. Thanks for your response
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
I'm aware of this, but someone might have some insight/personal experience as to how people with those grades usually do for that course at LSE. I've heard a lot about how LSE demands very high GCSE results, but nothing about that course in particular so I wondered how it might differ from more competitive courses. Thanks for your response
If I were you, I would be very sceptical of people who say LSE demand high GCSEs. They do have that reputation but I have seen many UCAS cycles and every year people with much, much worse GCSEs than you get offers.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's also worth noting Social Anthropology isn't one of the more popular courses and tends to have better than average rates of success from applicants - while this could of course suggest those applicants are self selecting and only the ones with the highest qualifications apply, I suspect that isn't the case for this particular course (spoken as someone who was originally intending to study anthropology)
louisesheng00
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi! I want to apply BASocial Anthropology too!
My prediction are: A*AB
I don't think LSE are really aware your GCSE grades, because I am international applicant and I don't have any GCSE results. That should be fine!
smegsxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello everyone!

For my GCSEs, I recieved:
A - English Lang
A - English Lit
A - Maths
A - History
A - Art
A - Additional Science
A - Short Course Ethics
B - Core Science
C - Drama
C - Spanish

LSE regard A-Level grades in much higher esteem than they do GCSEs. I had 1A*, 2As, 7Bs, 2Cs and a D and I study Sociology at LSE currently. If you have the correct predicted grades it's worth applying as this course has higher application success as you said.
I took one Social Anthropology course as an outside option last year and I really enjoyed it, it's a lot of reading and work but I found it to be quite interesting reading and classes.
louisesheng00
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by smegsxo)
LSE regard A-Level grades in much higher esteem than they do GCSEs. I had 1A*, 2As, 7Bs, 2Cs and a D and I study Sociology at LSE currently. If you have the correct predicted grades it's worth applying as this course has higher application success as you said.
I took one Social Anthropology course as an outside option last year and I really enjoyed it, it's a lot of reading and work but I found it to be quite interesting reading and classes.
Oh Thank you very much for your reply! I think personal statement is crucial important for the application process because they normally do not interview anybody. Although my predictions are not so competitive but I will try my best to write shine my personal statement! When do you think it is the best time to submit application to LSE? My idea is to send in the beginning of November.
smegsxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by louisesheng00)
Oh Thank you very much for your reply! I think personal statement is crucial important for the application process because they normally do not interview anybody. Although my predictions are not so competitive but I will try my best to write shine my personal statement! When do you think it is the best time to submit application to LSE? My idea is to send in the beginning of November.
As long as it is before the deadline it will be given equal consideration, though I applied early November if that is of interest a good personal statement is crucial, and the courses do have guidelines for what to write on their pages (under assessing your application or something similar) if you want any help from actual experts! Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (10)
17.86%
No one else does (21)
37.5%
I'm embarrassed about my background (7)
12.5%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (14)
25%
We don't use a video platform (2)
3.57%
I don't have a camera (1)
1.79%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.79%

Watched Threads