The Student Room Group

Changing poor AS results into good predicted grades?

So I've made another similar thread on this, basically I'm expecting pretty awful AS results. All year round I was aiming for AAA but I think my results will be closer to ACC or ADD (I already got an A in an internal exam for history, which is what I hope to apply for).

Almost all unis i'm hoping to apply to require AAA, and I know with my AS results my teachers won't predict me any more than ABB (if i get lucky!).

However my school offers a system where you can raise your predicted grades by taking internal exams in September (for example, if someone got a C in their AS and needed a predicted A, they could take this exam and if they got an very high A their predicted grade would be changed to an A, if it was a very average/low A their predicted would be changed to a B etc.).

I'm hoping to take advantage of this appeals system as I know I can get AAA (my AS results went horribly due to issues of homelessness etc, but this is sorted now so I expect so much more out of myself!), however I was wondering how this would look to universities? If i got , say, ADD in my AS exams but predicted AAA or something around that, would universities take my application less seriously? Is there a way for me to explain why my predictions differ to my actual grades? Any help would be appreciated! (also sorry for typos etc i'm writing this on my phone!)
Original post by anna_00
So I've made another similar thread on this, basically I'm expecting pretty awful AS results. All year round I was aiming for AAA but I think my results will be closer to ACC or ADD (I already got an A in an internal exam for history, which is what I hope to apply for).

Almost all unis i'm hoping to apply to require AAA, and I know with my AS results my teachers won't predict me any more than ABB (if i get lucky!).

However my school offers a system where you can raise your predicted grades by taking internal exams in September (for example, if someone got a C in their AS and needed a predicted A, they could take this exam and if they got an very high A their predicted grade would be changed to an A, if it was a very average/low A their predicted would be changed to a B etc.).

I'm hoping to take advantage of this appeals system as I know I can get AAA (my AS results went horribly due to issues of homelessness etc, but this is sorted now so I expect so much more out of myself!), however I was wondering how this would look to universities? If i got , say, ADD in my AS exams but predicted AAA or something around that, would universities take my application less seriously? Is there a way for me to explain why my predictions differ to my actual grades? Any help would be appreciated! (also sorry for typos etc i'm writing this on my phone!)

Unis will see your AS results but probably not your internal September exam results unless you and college disclose them, and even then, the Uni wont know how strongly the September exams resemble actual A Levels, how they were marked, etc etc and so I'd assume your AS results would take precedence.

So lets say you smashed the internal exams, which is more than possible considering what you've said, and then get a predicted grade boost, what the uni will see are low AS results and high predicted grades, which instantly reeks of student pressurisation of teachers. They'd rather give the offer to someone who's AS's are in the same ballpark as their predicted grades because that candidate is far more likely to meet the conditions of the offer - they don't want to be giving out offers to candidates who wont meet them, basically.

Chances are they wont see the internal exam results you've done, and even if they do they'd still almost certainly prefer to use AS exams as the main tool to use rather than a set of exams that may or may not be of A Level calibre, or an exam that's just an accumulation of past papers that students might have already seen during their revision etc. So getting AEE or whatever and applying for an AAA course even with the internal exams, in my opinion, wouldn't result in an offer.

But in your case, you've talked about some pretty serious positions you've been in such as homelessness? I'd probs think that a situation that grave would fall into the extenuating circumstances category and so give your application special consideration since it's a very stressful and unique problem that would have certainly affected your grades. Research the extenuating circumstances section of your desired unis for more info, Anna.

Soz for the essay, hope it helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by hamzakalinle
Unis will see your AS results but probably not your internal September exam results unless you and college disclose them, and even then, the Uni wont know how strongly the September exams resemble actual A Levels, how they were marked, etc etc and so I'd assume your AS results would take precedence.

So lets say you smashed the internal exams, which is more than possible considering what you've said, and then get a predicted grade boost, what the uni will see are low AS results and high predicted grades, which instantly reeks of student pressurisation of teachers. They'd rather give the offer to someone who's AS's are in the same ballpark as their predicted grades because that candidate is far more likely to meet the conditions of the offer - they don't want to be giving out offers to candidates who wont meet them, basically.

Chances are they wont see the internal exam results you've done, and even if they do they'd still almost certainly prefer to use AS exams as the main tool to use rather than a set of exams that may or may not be of A Level calibre, or an exam that's just an accumulation of past papers that students might have already seen during their revision etc. So getting AEE or whatever and applying for an AAA course even with the internal exams, in my opinion, wouldn't result in an offer.

But in your case, you've talked about some pretty serious positions you've been in such as homelessness? I'd probs think that a situation that grave would fall into the extenuating circumstances category and so give your application special consideration since it's a very stressful and unique problem that would have certainly affected your grades. Research the extenuating circumstances section of your desired unis for more info, Anna.

Soz for the essay, hope it helped :smile:

Thanks so much for the reply! Kind of disheartnening to know I wouldn't be taken as seriously, but I will research further into mitigating circumstances. Do you know if I would need a third party to assist in my application if I mentioned the homelessness issue? My careers advisor is the only one who knows about it (well, my form tutor does as well but we don't have the best relationship!), would she need to write a reference? Or would it be better coming from a parent? Sorry for the additional questions!
FREE FOOOOD ALERT!!!! (READ)

If you haven't already, download UBEREATS app!!! Use the code ' eats-2oz09g ' . This will give you £10 or £5 (twice) off your order. However, make sure to enter the code when you first sign up to receive this amazing discount. The foood will be delivered right to your doorstep in 30 minutes, so what are you waiting for- get a free mcdonalds or any food of ur choice

Hope results go well for everyone!!!
Original post by anna_00
Thanks so much for the reply! Kind of disheartnening to know I wouldn't be taken as seriously, but I will research further into mitigating circumstances. Do you know if I would need a third party to assist in my application if I mentioned the homelessness issue? My careers advisor is the only one who knows about it (well, my form tutor does as well but we don't have the best relationship!), would she need to write a reference? Or would it be better coming from a parent? Sorry for the additional questions!

Hi, yeah, no don't worry about the further questions.
I think that yes, getting someone to verify that what you went through was genuine and not made up is a good idea, be it parent or careers adviser.

Quick Reply

Latest