I'm rethinking my entire uni plan

Watch this thread
allyG_w
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm starting to really doubt my decision to apply for a film production course for 2018.

It seems I've constantly been flipping between film and creative writing + English; I'm struggling to make a firm decision. I've only really been currently focusing on film production and have been only going to open days surrounding that course.

Now, the doubts that I've heard from peers, other students, future job prospects, my lack of experience etc are starting to settle in and I'm thinking of maybe dropping the idea of doing a film production course entirely and following the practical option of English + creative writing.

However, I have concerns of my capability in the subject and self doubt in my ability to get in the course. I enjoy English and creative writing but I worry that I'm not going to be passionate enough/others have a higher passion in the subject. Furthermore, I worry that I won't enjoy the course as much as film and will find it a lot more difficult. Is there any current English lit and/or creative writing students that can tell me what their courses are like?

Also, in terms of an application, I currently don't have a lot. I mean I could definitely start reading more, doing online courses, and writing competitions. I already have some old competition entries, and past reads but worry they're too old and will need some more current evidence of my writing abilities/knowledge. But am I too late? Or is that even going to be enough?
Or perhaps I'm over worrying at this early stage?

I'm just a bit of a loss and looking for some guidance

PS I'm looking at the following unis:

FILM - Portsmouth, Gloucestershire & Westminster

ENGLISH - Derby, Surrey & Newcastle
TrailsOfThunder
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by allyG_w)
I'm starting to really doubt my decision to apply for a film production course for 2018.

It seems I've constantly been flipping between film and creative writing + English; I'm struggling to make a firm decision. I've only really been currently focusing on film production and have been only going to open days surrounding that course.

Now, the doubts that I've heard from peers, other students, future job prospects, my lack of experience etc are starting to settle in and I'm thinking of maybe dropping the idea of doing a film production course entirely and following the practical option of English + creative writing.

However, I have concerns of my capability in the subject and self doubt in my ability to get in the course. I enjoy English and creative writing but I worry that I'm not going to be passionate enough/others have a higher passion in the subject. Furthermore, I worry that I won't enjoy the course as much as film and will find it a lot more difficult. Is there any current English lit and/or creative writing students that can tell me what their courses are like?

Also, in terms of an application, I currently don't have a lot. I mean I could definitely start reading more, doing online courses, and writing competitions. I already have some old competition entries, and past reads but worry they're too old and will need some more current evidence of my writing abilities/knowledge. But am I too late? Or is that even going to be enough?

I wouldn't be totally stressed over it at this point - you've got the rest of the year to explore which one you'd prefer and to build up stuff to put in your personal statement.

If you're passionate about film, I don't see why you shouldn't do that since you love it and know you'd succeed in it. Besides, a degree is a degree at the end of the day and doing a more traditional subject doesn't guarantee you a job at the end of it anyway. But, ultimately only you know the right decision for you.

If you still can't choose between these subjects, an option could be attending a Scottish university since the Scottish degree structure is different over here. I know it's a year longer (maybe you don't want that) but you get to study more than one subject in the first two years (typically 2-3 subjects) and then make your decision on which subject to focus on in the last two (or do a joint honours). And you could always apply straight to second year if you have good A-levels and only do three years like they do in England and Wales. This could help solve your dilemma of which subject to study - study them both and see which one you prefer later on! (This is what I'm doing since I'm currently torn between history and English 😝 - I can't tell you what it's like yet though because I start my first year in September.)

Alternatively if you're torn between your subjects and would prefer to study in England at the universities you mentioned, why not take a gap year (if that's possible for you) to figure it out if you still need more time after the UCAS deadline, and even use it to build on more stuff for your PS.

Regardless, you've got time to figure out what you want to do, so don't stress over it too much.

I wish you the best of luck, no matter what you decide to study 😃
allyG_w
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by TrailsOfThunder)
I wouldn't be totally stressed over it at this point - you've got the rest of the year to explore which one you'd prefer and to build up stuff to put in your personal statement.

If you're passionate about film, I don't see why you shouldn't do that since you love it and know you'd succeed in it. Besides, a degree is a degree at the end of the day and doing a more traditional subject doesn't guarantee you a job at the end of it anyway. But, ultimately only you know the right decision for you.

If you still can't choose between these subjects, an option could be attending a Scottish university since the Scottish degree structure is different over here. I know it's a year longer (maybe you don't want that) but you get to study more than one subject in the first two years (typically 2-3 subjects) and then make your decision on which subject to focus on in the last two (or do a joint honours). And you could always apply straight to second year if you have good A-levels and only do three years like they do in England and Wales. This could help solve your dilemma of which subject to study - study them both and see which one you prefer later on! (This is what I'm doing since I'm currently torn between history and English 😝 - I can't tell you what it's like yet though because I start my first year in September.)

Alternatively if you're torn between your subjects and would prefer to study in England at the universities you mentioned, why not take a gap year (if that's possible for you) to figure it out if you still need more time after the UCAS deadline, and even use it to build on more stuff for your PS.

Regardless, you've got time to figure out what you want to do, so don't stress over it too much.

I wish you the best of luck, no matter what you decide to study 😃
Wow,thank you very much, this was really helpful😃 I think I'll definitely have a look at some Scottish univeristies as a possible option, thank you for the advice!
The Empire Odyssey
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by allyG_w)

Forget about those doubts and insecurities.

If you are having doubts, narrow those 6 unis to five (but perhaps make sure those courses could be perhaps combined just in case).

Then, I would dedicate your UCAS half your application to English and then the other Film and of course incorporate creative writing in it- i.e for literature talk about poetry, for language talk about radio or song lyrics or screenwriting etc.

Then you can apply for English and Film or English and Creative Writing. And if you get accepted to either, go and you don't like one or the other, you still have the option to drop the second subject and stick with the other - if all that makes sense?

That's what I did. I was undecided about studying Literature and Language so I wrote about both, then applied for English Lang/Lit combined and both subjects separately and got offers from all five of my unis.

Just make sure you sound really passionate about all the subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (185)
41.76%
The paper was reasonable (196)
44.24%
Not feeling great about that exam... (39)
8.8%
It was TERRIBLE (23)
5.19%

Watched Threads