The Student Room Group

Which unis could I apply to for Law with my GCSE results/predicted grades?

My GCSEs were: English Lit (A), English Lang (A), Maths (A), Additional Science (A, History (A), Art (A), Short Course Ethics (A), Core Science (B), Spanish (C) & Drama (C). My A-Level predicted will hopefully be AAA; what unis could I apply to for Law w/ these grades? I'm looking at Nottingham, Sussex, UEA (all for the American Law opportunities which I'm particularly interested) and then maybe Royal Holloway and Liverpool for lower offers. It's worth noting that I'm not that interested in having a law career, at least right now. How are my chances with these unis? Would I have a shot at higher ones such as KCL and Bristol? Are there any others you'd recommend (lower or higher) that may be suitable? Of course Nottingham requires the LNAT which I really don't know how I'd fare in, and there's the Personal Statement etc. but based on these grades alone, am I overreaching or are they about right for those unis? Thanks for the help in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by rachelizabethh
My GCSEs were: English Lit (A), English Lang (A), Maths (A), Additional Science (A, History (A), Art (A), Short Course Ethics (A), Core Science (B), Spanish (C) & Drama (C). My A-Level predicted will hopefully be AAA; what unis could I apply to for Law w/ these grades? I'm looking at Nottingham, Sussex, UEA (all for the American Law opportunities which I'm particularly interested) and then maybe Royal Holloway and Liverpool for lower offers. It's worth noting that I'm not that interested in having a law career, at least right now. How are my chances with these unis? Would I have a shot at higher ones such as KCL and Bristol? Are there any others you'd recommend (lower or higher) that may be suitable? Of course Nottingham requires the LNAT which I really don't know how I'd fare in, and there's the Personal Statement etc. but based on these grades alone, am I overreaching or are they about right for those unis? Thanks for the help in advance :smile:

If you do super well in the LNAT, I don't think your GCSEs will prevent a Nottingham offer. It's difficult to only consider grades here because the LNAT does really play an important role in their decision making.

For Bristol, they recently upped their entry requirements to A*AA, unless you're from a poorer area/school and hence the offer will be reduced to AAB. If the latter is not the case, I would advise against applying. Your GCSEs are not very strong either, so there would be many factors vying against you.

Same for KCL, if not more. They require A*AA, and a good LNAT. The GCSEs would also work against you here.

Overall, I'd suggest applying for Nottingham which currently requires AAA and trying your best in the LNAT. It's actually a very good law school. The other two may be risky (unless you can receive a contextual offer from Bristol) so it depends on how safe or not you want to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Fergo
If you do super well in the LNAT, I don't think your GCSEs will prevent a Nottingham offer. It's difficult to only consider grades here because the LNAT does really play an important role in their decision making.

For Bristol, they recently upped their entry requirements to A*AA, unless you're from a poorer area/school and hence the offer will be reduced to AAB. If the latter is not the case, I would advise against applying. Your GCSEs are not very strong either, so there would be many factors vying against you.

Same for KCL, if not more. They require A*AA, and a good LNAT. The GCSEs would also work against you here.

Overall, I'd suggest applying for Nottingham which currently requires AAA and trying your best in the LNAT. It's actually a very good law school. The other two may be risky (unless you can receive a contextual offer from Bristol) so it depends on how safe or not you want to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I definitely live in a poorer area, on everything I've checked it with my postcode/town tends to come up in the bottom quantile (I live in Norfolk so not a huge surprise, lol :P) As for my school, the year I did GCSEs 52% received 5 A*-C grade results, but I'm not sure how that compares to the national average. A senior staff member did say our year was way below average before we did our GCSEs (there were only 8 G&T students out of 194 students, compared to 30-odd in the year below). Then again, it might just be an area thing, because my school was decent enough and was deemed good by Ofsted. Thanks for your response :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi, I wouldn't worry about your gcse grades. I only applied to 2 universities to study law which were Lancaster and Bristol.

I sat the LNAT because it was required by Bristol and got 22.

For my GCSEs I got A*A*AAAAABBB so yours isn't too far off mine.
My AS Levels were AAAC.

I ended up getting an unconditional from Lancaster (which was AAA) and an offer from Bristol wanting AAA.

I wouldn't worry about your GCSEs. Yes they may not be strongest results, but realistically if you aren't going to Cambridge or oxford they aren't as important as other factors.

They'll look at the area your from, your personal statement, your LNAT score, your AS grades and your personal statement. If you do well in these you wouldn't be overreaching to any of your chosen universities.
Reply 4
Your GCSEs don't matter that much, they look good enough but it's mainly your A-levels and a school reference which play the biggest roles. Of course if you did GCSEs at a low performing school then they are considered more than good!
Original post by _Fergo
x

Did the Notts offer change this year?
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.

I know the Nottingham offer used to be A*AA and that's what it has down in the 2018 prospectus, but online it now says AAA so I'm assuming that's the correct one... :smile:
Original post by mrbr2671999
Hi, I wouldn't worry about your gcse grades. I only applied to 2 universities to study law which were Lancaster and Bristol.

I sat the LNAT because it was required by Bristol and got 22.

For my GCSEs I got A*A*AAAAABBB so yours isn't too far off mine.
My AS Levels were AAAC.

I ended up getting an unconditional from Lancaster (which was AAA) and an offer from Bristol wanting AAA.

I wouldn't worry about your GCSEs. Yes they may not be strongest results, but realistically if you aren't going to Cambridge or oxford they aren't as important as other factors.

They'll look at the area your from, your personal statement, your LNAT score, your AS grades and your personal statement. If you do well in these you wouldn't be overreaching to any of your chosen universities.

Thank you so much! I'm curious about how you managed your personal statement if only 2/5 unis you applied for were to do law? I'm pretty sure I qualify for a contextual offer, so I may look into Bristol in that case - I really like the look of the course/area and I'm visiting in a few weeks. Thanks again :smile:
Original post by The RAR
Your GCSEs don't matter that much, they look good enough but it's mainly your A-levels and a school reference which play the biggest roles. Of course if you did GCSEs at a low performing school then they are considered more than good!

Thanks so much for your response :smile:
Thank you so much! I'm curious about how you managed your personal statement if only 2/5 unis you applied for were to do law? I'm pretty sure I qualify for a contextual offer, so I may look into Bristol in that case - I really like the look of the course/area and I'm visiting in a few weeks. Thanks again :smile:

I only applied to 2 universities in total. Both of them were for law :tongue:
Reply 10
Hi! I definitely live in a poorer area, on everything I've checked it with my postcode/town tends to come up in the bottom quantile (I live in Norfolk so not a huge surprise, lol :P) As for my school, the year I did GCSEs 52% received 5 A*-C grade results, but I'm not sure how that compares to the national average. A senior staff member did say our year was way below average before we did our GCSEs (there were only 8 G&T students out of 194 students, compared to 30-odd in the year below). Then again, it might just be an area thing, because my school was decent enough and was deemed good by Ofsted. Thanks for your response :smile:

There's a list online, Google 'Bristol contextual offer list' or something to the like. If your school is there, you'd be guaranteed an AAB offer if you do get an offer at all.

Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.

I'm not quite sure. I would think so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A good rule of thumb is to apply to:
One or two stretch universities that you feel you could make if the wind is in the right direction
One or two that you feel pretty safe you could make the grades for
One 'easy' university.

So don't ignore the harder universities, you never know what might happen over the coming two years, and you might surprise yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending