Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where to buy school shoes from? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to buy leather lace up leather brogues for women I cannot find any brands which make nice shoes which are good quality with leather insoles as well.Does anyone know any brands?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Clarks tend to be a good shout for formal/work shoes. They usually last ages as well, so the slightly higher price is counterbalanced by the fact you can have the same pair for years and years if you actually do a little bit to take care of them/polish them from time to time

ReputationRep:
    i've never had any luck with clarks shoes. wore out within a term for me and all the 'school shoes' only went up to a size 5 (im a 7). i'm flat footed and all their shoes did was cause me more foot problems. start rite we're ok but all the styles don't really work for me and i'm stuck with the same style every time i go to buy them. doc martens can work if you get the right pair. i've never tried them out at school but might be getting a pair for next year. very expensive but will last a lifetime. jones the boot maker or schuh have a good selection of black school shoes. looking at places like debenhams online get a few pairs to try in one hit and then return the ones that don't work. i used to do that with john lewis.

ReputationRep:
    Clark's: style called Hamble Oak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisseyjj)
    i've never had any luck with clarks shoes. wore out within a term for me and all the 'school shoes' only went up to a size 5 (im a 7). i'm flat footed and all their shoes did was cause me more foot problems. start rite we're ok but all the styles don't really work for me and i'm stuck with the same style every time i go to buy them. doc martens can work if you get the right pair. i've never tried them out at school but might be getting a pair for next year. very expensive but will last a lifetime. jones the boot maker or schuh have a good selection of black school shoes. looking at places like debenhams online get a few pairs to try in one hit and then return the ones that don't work. i used to do that with john lewis.
    How expensive?I have seen Church's online they are really nice but they cost upwards of 300 which I don't think my parents would buy unfortunately.I will look at doc martens and jones,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Clarks tend to be a good shout for formal/work shoes. They usually last ages as well, so the slightly higher price is counterbalanced by the fact you can have the same pair for years and years if you actually do a little bit to take care of them/polish them from time to time
    I agree
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    I'd also suggest going to some vintage stores, I've bought some amazing brogues which I've given some pretty heavy usage from vintage stores...also, strong shoe choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Clark's: style called Hamble Oak.
    i had a pair of hamble oaks. wore out within a few months. all the soles wore off really quick. went in the bin. the wooden heel was really uncomfortable as there was barely any padding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    How expensive?I have seen Church's online they are really nice but they cost upwards of 300 which I don't think my parents would buy unfortunately.I will look at doc martens and jones,
    doc martens cost around £100 for the shoes. don't know about the price of the boots. they might be the £300 you're looking at??

ReputationRep:
    doc martens cost around £100 for the shoes. don't know about the price of the boots. they might be the £300 you're looking at??
    forgot to add, i'm looking at doc martens website not a reseller

ReputationRep:
    i had a pair of hamble oaks. wore out within a few months. all the soles wore off really quick. went in the bin. the wooden heel was really uncomfortable as there was barely any padding.
    I've bought these for all my kids for the past 7 years. Basic maintenance, involving getting them resoled or reheeled at intervals is much better value than buying a new pair at £50 every 3 months.

Disposable consumer culture scorns the notion of repairs.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=br...iw=320&bih=460

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    I've bought these for all my kids for the past 7 years. Basic maintenance, involving getting them resoled or reheeled at intervals is much better value than buying a new pair at £50 every 3 months.

Disposable consumer culture scorns the notion of repairs.
    where i live it was cheaper to get new shoes than to repair the old ones. and i found them incredibly uncomfortable. i wasn't prepared to damage my feet any more than necessary as i was also recovering from orthopaedic surgery.

ReputationRep:
    where i live it was cheaper to get new shoes than to repair the old ones. and i found them incredibly uncomfortable. i wasn't prepared to damage my feet any more than necessary as i was also recovering from orthopaedic surgery.
    may i also add that i have not ever worn a pair of clarks shoes since. i had a pair of schuh own brand and they were so comfortable. actually supported by feet rather than letting my ankles roll and lasted for a whole school year. and there's still life left in them.

ReputationRep:
    I'd look into Martens, they're durable and very smart looking. I don't know exactly how many of their shoes are "vegan leather" though, but I'd look into it.

ReputationRep:
    Clarks if you want quality
    Shoe zone if you want affordability

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Durhamgirl96)
    I'd look into Martens, they're durable and very smart looking. I don't know exactly how many of their shoes are "vegan leather" though, but I'd look into it.
    on their website the vegan shoes are very clearly marked. so are the british made ones (v. v. expensive). they can look a bit like clown boots in the larger sizes. size 7 doc martens were not the most attractive with my school uniform (nun skirts made of tea towels)

ReputationRep:
    on their website the vegan shoes are very clearly marked. so are the british made ones (v. v. expensive). they can look a bit like clown boots in the larger sizes. size 7 doc martens were not the most attractive with my school uniform (nun skirts made of tea towels)
    Oh, I know that they're easy to find. I just haven't looked myself as I only have the vegan Chelsea boots, but I speak from experience when I say that although they are harder to break in than the leather range, they're just as comfortable and just as durable. You couldn't tell the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Church's shoes for school...

Seriously?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.