I feel like I'm becoming less intelligent Watch

cbreef
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Basically I'm finding it increasingly difficult to learn and retain information. I'm finding it harder to work things out whether it be puzzles or even just the meaning of sentences.

It's a pretty difficult thing to describe honestly. I just feel... stupider - I'm assuming this has something to do with depression/anxiety and all that crap.
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cbreef)
Basically I'm finding it increasingly difficult to learn and retain information. I'm finding it harder to work things out whether it be puzzles or even just the meaning of sentences.

It's a pretty difficult thing to describe honestly. I just feel... stupider - I'm assuming this has something to do with depression/anxiety and all that crap.
Oh dear. Have you informed anyone about this?
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It could be 'brain fog' which can indeed be brought about by stressful conditions such as depression/anxiety - https://www.healthyplace.com/depress...of-depression/

Aside from that, if you use the internet excessively then that could be a potential cause as well. More and more studies into excessive internet usage are showing the negative effects it has upon the brain including worsened level of concentration, memory recall etc.
almostmaybe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Are you otherwise fit and healthy, getting enough sleep etc?

If you think you are depressed/have anxiety you should speak to someone about it, the earlier you catch these things the better.
cbreef
Rep:
?
(Original post by JMR2017)
Oh dear. Have you informed anyone about this?
Not a soul.
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not a soul.
Well, maybe that is what you need to do.
cbreef
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asolare)
It could be 'brain fog' which can indeed be brought about by stressful conditions such as depression/anxiety - https://www.healthyplace.com/depress...of-depression/

Aside from that, if you use the internet excessively then that could be a potential cause as well. More and more studies into excessive internet usage are showing the negative effects it has upon the brain including worsened level of concentration, memory recall etc.
I can definitely relate to some of this.
cbreef
Rep:
?
(Original post by JMR2017)
Well, maybe that is what you need to do.
Well... I've told you lot.
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well... I've told you lot.
But we are not doctors or anything lol.
cbreef
Rep:
?
(Original post by almostmaybe)
Are you otherwise fit and healthy, getting enough sleep etc?

If you think you are depressed/have anxiety you should speak to someone about it, the earlier you catch these things the better.
I wouldn't say I'm particularly 'healthy' but I'm normal weight, no major health conditions etc. If that helps.

As for sleep, I get enough of it, but the patterns are all over the place.
Fruli
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Alcohol intake can have an impact too.
cbreef
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fruli)
Alcohol intake can have an impact too.
I don't drink. Never have.
Smooth Sailing
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For how long would you say you've had this issue?

I can definitely relate, although some days it seems to be worse than others, which makes me think it could be linked to anxiety/stress. Gunna start trying to reduce my anxiety and see if that helps.

Coffee helps me when I have a heavy workload, but I'd rather get to the root of the problem
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
I can relate I feel like a 10 year old is smarter than me and I'm 18 I also suffer from depression and anxiety is sucks
cbreef
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smooth Sailing)
I can definitely relate, although some days it seems to be worse than others,
Me too.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I understand what you mean and it's a horrible feeling. It's got worse and worse for me over the past few years, coinciding with my mental health going to **** and coming to university and not knowing who I am anymore, as well as studying an academic course when I'm not really suited to pure adacemics.. As a consequence, my academics have also suffered because of lack of confidence and motivation. The only time I feel 'normal' is when I'm playing sports. Everything falls into place and I (rarely) have doubts in my abilities.

What I've recently started doing is just playing braining training games to get me through the summer, as having no structure in life makes everything worse. It can be disheartening when you fail at a game that you would otherwise think easy, but eventually you'll try again and crack it. I've also tried to get into reading again because whilst I loved reading as a child, the brain fog took that love and motivation away, too

Hang in there bud, everything will work out one day
angelike1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Probably just stress and anxiety.

This is way to ambiguous though and it's better just talking to your GP.
crocodile_ears
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's a pretty common symptom of depression/anxiety, so you're not alone and you can fix it. Whenever I feel really anxious I find it hard to read, and sometimes I get 'brain fog' when my head feels full of sand and I can't take in information. The best thing to do is to just take a break, let yourself worry later on about the work that needs doing and go to take care of yourself.

I keep a list of stuff to do to help take care of myself (like taking a shower, doing exercise, making food, painting my nails etc). By picking a simple task it takes the pressure off and helps me to focus more. Meditation helps a lot as well. Just lie on the floor like a starfish and breath deeply while focusing on releasing the tension in your body. Take a deep breath in, focus on your toes (by either just sensing them or tensing them up) and relax them as you breath out, then move up your body until you reach your head. You'll feel kind of weird after but a lot calmer.

You're not less intelligent, it's just your brain focusing all its energy in the wrong places because you're stressed. If your stressing about the actual stuff you need to remember then it makes sense because that's causing you pain, so your brain doesn't want you to do any more of it. If you're stressed about something else then your brain just blames that stress on whatever is around you so that you have something to run away from. To solve this, the best thing to do is to speak to a counsellor or someone you trust, and then to keep taking care of yourself in the short term.

Try kooth.com for online counselling. There's also a nice community of young people dealing on there, people post articles about mental health and it's nice to read when you feel isolated and like you're going crazy. Having a good perspective is always a plus.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I understand, I feel the same. Although if you give me a hard maths problem I can still solve it. It's just this feeling though like your intelligence is decreasing
cbreef
Rep:
?
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
I understand, I feel the same. Although if you give me a hard maths problem I can still solve it. It's just this feeling though like your intelligence is decreasing
I hope you're right.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (150)
18.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.8%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (137)
17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.65%

Watched Threads