Fat in different types of food? Watch

Dante991
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've seen that nuts and yogurt often has a lot of fat - more than some chocolates.
Is all the fat in food the same or is there a difference?
the_nshoesmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dante991)
I've seen that nuts and yogurt often has a lot of fat - more than some chocolates.
No, there are various different types of fats.
tooturntturtle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As as there being different types of fat in foods, you have to be aware of the other nutrients in the food. E.g. Eating an avocato has a lot of fat but lots of essential vitamins and nutrients with little sugar compared to chocolate which is empty calories as there is little nutritional value
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
harrythomas14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are 3 main types of fat - unsaturated, saturated and trans. See these as the good, the bad and the ugly (in the order above).

Unsaturated fats are the good kind - found in nuts, seeds, yogurt, different oils and some butter. These are good for your body, brain and can help fight diseases.

Saturated fats are the bad kind, though there is some information that it's good in moderation. This is found in fast food, baked goods, chocolate, sweets, chips, takeaways - junk food in general, really.

Trans fats are the ugly. They're in pretty much all of what's in the saturated pile. It, like saturated fats, contributes to chronic disease, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and high LDL (bad) cholesterol. These are listed as 'hydrogenated oils/fats' in the ingredients section of packaging.
Dante991
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by harrythomas14)
There are 3 main types of fat - unsaturated, saturated and trans. See these as the good, the bad and the ugly (in the order above).

Unsaturated fats are the good kind - found in nuts, seeds, yogurt, different oils and some butter. These are good for your body, brain and can help fight diseases.

Saturated fats are the bad kind, though there is some information that it's good in moderation. This is found in fast food, baked goods, chocolate, sweets, chips, takeaways - junk food in general, really.

Trans fats are the ugly. They're in pretty much all of what's in the saturated pile. It, like saturated fats, contributes to chronic disease, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and high LDL (bad) cholesterol. These are listed as 'hydrogenated oils/fats' in the ingredients section of packaging.
that's great thanks!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
harrythomas14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
that's great thanks!
No worries, pal - feel free to pm me if you need any further info.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (106)
17.24%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (64)
10.41%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.56%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.96%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.08%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed