The Student Room Group

vice chancellors pay

It's got to be coming to a head when it's got so excessive that even an MP can't stand to be associated with it...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-40903122

An MP has quit his role at the University of Bath in protest over the vice-chancellor's "eye-watering" pay.

"Universities really need to be asking whether the eye-watering sums some are dispensing to vice-chancellors are really necessary to attract what they represent as talent," he said.

"As a pack, they are looking increasingly like a self-serving cartel at a time of mounting student debt and wage restraint elsewhere in the public and quasi-public sectors.

This follows an attack by Lord Adonis in which he said of the VC of Bath

"only example" the vice-chancellor was setting to her staff was "one of greed".

average remuneration of a VC is £250000

Worth noting that some VC's have voluntarily frozen their pay including Bill Rammell (Beds) in order to lead by example - though I don't think any of them are doing terribly badly.

What do you think?

greedy trough-snouters milking the quasi public sector cash cow for all it's worth or hardworkers earning every penny?
Original post by Joinedup
It's got to be coming to a head when it's got so excessive that even an MP can't stand to be associated with it...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-40903122

This follows an attack by Lord Adonis in which he said of the VC of Bath

average remuneration of a VC is £250000

Worth noting that some VC's have voluntarily frozen their pay including Bill Rammell (Beds) in order to lead by example - though I don't think any of them are doing terribly badly.

What do you think?

greedy trough-snouters milking the quasi public sector cash cow for all it's worth or hardworkers earning every penny?
I think it depends on the VC and on the university. Bath seems to be an extreme case. Collegiate universities will obviously have less emphasis on a university-wide VC when they have college based structures of leadership. The size of the univerrsity is significant also I think.. If you have a huge university to manage, then that probably awards more pay than a smaller one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending