The Student Room Group

Best first "car": A Motorcycle!

What do you guys think about motorbikes instead of first cars?
Reply 1
I rode a bike for 10 years before ever thinking about a car. Its a much cheaper alternative in all respects, and lets face it, motorbikes are badass :colone:

What are you thinking of buying?
I can't really comment as I have both, but it depends on what you need for it, if it's just for you to get from A to B regularly, then it makes sense to go for a motorbike, but consider the near future too, will you need the extra room for anything (A Food shop for example), do you have a partner/pet/other that you'll need to have with you sometimes.

There's also the disadvantage of the weather aspect too, are you happy to be out riding in the rain/snow/wind, if it's your only transport you'll have to be happy to be out in all conditions? I only take my bike out in nice weather, the rest of the time I'll use the car.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr T
I rode a bike for 10 years before ever thinking about a car. Its a much cheaper alternative in all respects, and lets face it, motorbikes are badass :colone:

What are you thinking of buying?

I've already got a Honda CBF125 but I'm considering selling it now for a car, I don't know about taking it to uni. Any advice? I really want a bigger bike anyway, a MT-03 maybe or Honda CB500 r/f. Is a 125 any use at uni??
Reply 4
Original post by adamstrawson
I can't really comment as I have both, but it depends on what you need for it, if it's just for you to get from A to B regularly, then it makes sense to go for a motorbike, but consider the near future too, will you need the extra room for anything (A Food shop for example), do you have a partner/pet/other that you'll need to have with you sometimes.

There's also the disadvantage of the weather aspect too, are you happy to be out riding in the rain/snow/wind, if it's your only transport you'll have to be happy to be out in all conditions? I only take my bike out in nice weather, the rest of the time I'll use the car.

Thank you, I'd love to have both like you... just the money
Original post by dlaws.
Thank you, I'd love to have both like you... just the money

I started with a car first as it was more practical, then saved up for the bike later on as it was a "nice to have" (Well, the bitcoin boom paid for it)
Reply 6
Original post by dlaws.
I've already got a Honda CBF125 but I'm considering selling it now for a car, I don't know about taking it to uni. Any advice? I really want a bigger bike anyway, a MT-03 maybe or Honda CB500 r/f. Is a 125 any use at uni??

My personal opinion is that the bigger the bike the safer it is - you can pull away from idiots more easily!

A 125 may be a bit of mare if you have a distance to cover but as a 'get around town' is a decent option.

If you can afford it then a bigger bike is a better option - but transporting 'stuff' can be difficult - I had a Yamaha 535 Virago when I was at uni - its a shaft driven bike so cuts down on maintenance. I also had a sissy bar so could strap bags/panniers to it with ease so gave me that option of transporting stuff too and from uni at holiday - then had my parents to the move in and move out from uni.

I guess it depends on what your circumstances are but I defo benefited from having a motorbike at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest