What will the new A Level Maths and Further Maths courses (linear) be like?

Watch
Einsteinium*
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello.

I shall be starting sixth form in September, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding the new linear Maths and Further Maths A levels (first teaching from September 2017). What shall be different from the old, modular courses? Will the content be the same or different (and if the latter, will it be more challenging?)

For instance, will candidates still be able to choose what modules they want to do (where applicable)?

Also, will candidates still be able to sit 'optional' modules, as it were (I believe these are in Further maths only, correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks!
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Einsteinium*)
Hello.

I shall be starting sixth form in September, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding the new linear Maths and Further Maths A levels (first teaching from September 2017). What shall be different from the old, modular courses? Will the content be the same or different (and if the latter, will it be more challenging?)

For instance, will candidates still be able to choose what modules they want to do (where applicable)?

Also, will candidates still be able to sit 'optional' modules, as it were (I believe these are in Further maths only, correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks!
There is no choice of content in single A level Maths. There is some optional content in Further Maths although it will depend on your provider whether you are given any choice or not.
Einsteinium*
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Mr M)
There is no choice of content in single A level Maths. There is some optional content in Further Maths although it will depend on your provider whether you are given any choice or not.
I see, what are the benefits of doing this optional content in FM, if I might ask? Also, will the content be different to the old course?
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I see, what are the benefits of doing this optional content in FM, if I might ask? Also, will the content be different to the old course?
Some of the content is new e.g. dimensions analysis in mechanics. One benefit might be, for the OCR course, you can take extra exams and the best results will count.
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think you may be misunderstanding the use of the word "optional" here. A-level maths content is 100% specified, and A-level Further maths content is 50% specified. Those are the parameters within which the differing A-level boards produced their various A-level and Further A-level exams. For example, a given board might decide to offer Further Maths papers with more mechanics, or more stats or more decision within the permitted latitude as their FM papers. But all this is not at all modular. If your school/college is following a certain board you may get those three options to choose from, but in smaller schools/colleges you may well be told what to study.

So "optional" refers less to options you the student have, and more to how A-level boards can format their papers.

The question "will the content be different to the old course" is hard to answer. A lot of the content has stayed the same but the packaging is quite different and the different routes through that content has become more restricted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (162)
14.5%
I'm not sure (50)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.54%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (542)
48.52%

Watched Threads