The Student Room Group

personal statement enquiry

I am currently writing my personal statement and I am using other personal statements as inspiration for my own. I just wanted to know that if I completely paraphrased a sentence but it still portrayed the same message would it be classified as plagerism? An example I can give is:

Original: Psychology has developed and grown over time and the possible inspection this leads to is what inspires me to pick psychology.

Paraphrased: The rate in which psychology has evolved and advanced over time has inspired me extremely and the endless realm of discovery of the human mind is what fuels my mind to study psychology.

I just wanted to know if paraphrasing and having a similar order of another personal statement is classified as plagerism.
Original post by concernedstud3nt
I am currently writing my personal statement and I am using other personal statements as inspiration for my own. I just wanted to know that if I completely paraphrased a sentence but it still portrayed the same message would it be classified as plagerism? An example I can give is:

Original: Psychology has developed and grown over time and the possible inspection this leads to is what inspires me to pick psychology.

Paraphrased: The rate in which psychology has evolved and advanced over time has inspired me extremely and the endless realm of discovery of the human mind is what fuels my mind to study psychology.

I just wanted to know if paraphrasing and having a similar order of another personal statement is classified as plagerism.

Ignoring your question, I would not use either of those sentences in a psychology PS. They are horrid, cliché, too wordy, and make me want to vomit.
Reply 2

If your example is what you're actually intending to write, please don't. It's meaningless. Why would something changing mean you want to study it more? It's just something you think sounds good, but when you actually read what it says (and not what you hope it says) you realise it's rubbish.
Original post by Cubone-r
Ignoring your question, I would not use either of those sentences in a psychology PS. They are horrid, cliché, too wordy, and make me want to vomit.

It's an example im not applying for psychology
Original post by Juno
If your example is what you're actually intending to write, please don't. It's meaningless. Why would something changing mean you want to study it more? It's just something you think sounds good, but when you actually read what it says (and not what you hope it says) you realise it's rubbish.

its an example i dont actually intend to write that :smile: i just wanted people to get the general gist of what I'm talking about
It's an example im not applying for psychology

Well please don't write like that for any subject you are applying for.

To answer your question, paraphrasing is allowed in essays but only with a reference acknowledging the original source. However, you can't really reference in a PS, let alone reference another person's PS.

I would advise against paraphrasing certain sentences of someone's PS.
You can either quote someone or re-word it. I opened my PS with a phrase that I had seen similarly echoed across the internet, but not exactly - if in doubt, run it through a plagiarism checker and check that you’re okay
Original post by Cubone-r
Well please don't write like that for any subject you are applying for.

To answer your question, paraphrasing is allowed in essays but only with a reference acknowledging the original source. However, you can't really reference in a PS, let alone reference another person's PS.

I would advise against paraphrasing certain sentences of someone's PS.

okay thank you very much and I just wanted to know is it something that is detectable via UCAS
Please dont paraphrase things it should all 100% be coming from you! Its your only chance besides an interview to stand out, make the most of it!!
Original post by JessThomas6
You can either quote someone or re-word it. I opened my PS with a phrase that I had seen similarly echoed across the internet, but not exactly - if in doubt, run it through a plagiarism checker and check that you’re okay

thank you very much !
Original post by SuperHuman98
Please dont paraphrase things it should all 100% be coming from you! Its your only chance besides an interview to stand out, make the most of it!!

its not that im paraphrasing for the sake of paraphrasing its the fact that the personal statement i read captures my personal interests and reasons to the max but i do not want to copy it
okay thank you very much and I just wanted to know is it something that is detectable via UCAS

Yes, they use plagiarism software to detect direct copying and paraphrasing.

Read these documents from UCAS to find out more about the plagiarism process they use to ensure all personal statements are free from plagiarism and that everyone gains a university place fairly.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/filling-your-application/fraud-and-similarity
Reply 12
its an example i dont actually intend to write that :smile: i just wanted people to get the general gist of what I'm talking about

Good, because that's awful.

Technically, it is plagiarism. How likely you are to get caught depends on how similar it is to the original - but also if it's likely anyone else has also plagiarised. 234 applicants copied a story about burning a hole in their pyjamas. So if you've found the statement online, it's possible other people have paraphrased and thus written the same (or similar) things to you. UCAS will check personal statements against everything available online, but also against those that have been submitted. If you've found something online and thought it was good, it's extremely possible that other applicants have as well.
Original post by Juno
Good, because that's awful.

Technically, it is plagiarism. How likely you are to get caught depends on how similar it is to the original - but also if it's likely anyone else has also plagiarised. 234 applicants copied a story about burning a hole in their pyjamas. So if you've found the statement online, it's possible other people have paraphrased and thus written the same (or similar) things to you. UCAS will check personal statements against everything available online, but also against those that have been submitted. If you've found something online and thought it was good, it's extremely possible that other applicants have as well.

what i have written is very different from the sourse of the information but isnt it very difficult to avoid plagerism in this case ? for example, many people pick maths because they enjoy problem solving and thinking but if everyone wrote that as the reason of study then there would be a lot of plagerism issues.
Reply 14
what i have written is very different from the sourse of the information but isnt it very difficult to avoid plagerism in this case ? for example, many people pick maths because they enjoy problem solving and thinking but if everyone wrote that as the reason of study then there would be a lot of plagerism issues.

If it was "very different" then you wouldn't be concerned enough to start this thread.
Original post by Juno
If it was "very different" then you wouldn't be concerned enough to start this thread.

gramatically and structurally it varies greatly but the portrayed message of the sentance is the same. i wanted to know is this something UCAS classifys as plagerism.

Ucas use a SIMILARITY detector. It will pick up on paraphrasing.
What if yours just happens to have sentences which are similar to something random online?
Reply 18
Original post by surina16
What if yours just happens to have sentences which are similar to something random online?

The detection software allows for some matches - nothing will be 100% unmatched to a previous statement. Anything that does flag up is then reviewed by a real person. This person will then look at whether it's things that could be accidental - such as "I like physics" - or whether it's likely to be copied.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending