Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Need some advice about whether or not i should go back to uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't know where to start with this problem/situation that I have been experiencing for a while.

1st year that has finished business management course. Passed all modules (>60%). However, didn't continue 2nd year since it didn't look interesting, particularly more boring since its theories and more lectures. I ended up taking a gap year after completing first year of the business management course.

Now that my gap year is coming to an end. I don't know whether to go back to uni and study my current course towards 2nd year. Or if I should change course and study something different. But don't know what to study since I don't have confidence in studying something different.

During this year, I haven't applied for much apprenticeships vacancies since there wasn't any of interest. Applied for a few but didn't get anywhere. Looked at the job market, it's really competitive since they want either degree or relevant experience. So ended just giving up. Staying at home just makes me feel weak and ill.

Don't know who to talk to or seek advice from. Uni is a big commitment and I don't know whether I should go back and put my head down and get through it. I don't know if I can do this!

Didn't want to go uni in the fist place, since I just hated studying, I get feed up doing it every year. There is no joy and it's always repetitive. Going lesson, take notes, revise notes and then prepare for exams/course work. Honestly I didn't like the whole uni experience, I study at uni ranked very low in the tables and the student there don't really care about studying . Either they don't turn up to seminar or they just go on holiday during the academic period.

So it's really hard making friends there. Especially when no one wants to learn.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly it doesn't sound like uni is for you, or at least nor the course you were taking. So I don't recommend you go back, most people can get through the first year fine. but if you don't like your course and aren't committed then 2nd year onwards it will become difficult and mentally exhausting. I also don't think you should waste your student finance funded years you have left on a course you don't like/ may drop out of. Because then in the future if you do find something you seriously want to pursue at university, you won't be fully funded to do so.

Seems like your best bet is finding work. Possibly an apprenticeship, internship or trainee position so you can work your way up. You'll have to apply for a lot though. You may get discouraged applying for things and not hearing back, but it's become a numbers game to be honest.

Also get your CV checked out. Maybe try some volunteering to get some experience on there.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I guess your right in saying not to go back. However, after completing 1st year I then took a gap year (this year) since I didn't want to go back.

During my gap year this year, I didn't do much or didn't gain anything. Which basically a year wasted.

I thought I'd apply for lots of jobs & apprenticeships as well as volunteering work. But I didn't apply for it that much. Getting a job was difficult since I didn't have the relevant experience and/or applying for apprenticeships were hard. This is because there weren't that many of interest. Some I applied and I never heard from them. So I then just gave up. That got me really worried and demotivated about life, since I don't really have a purpose. I'm trying to stay positive & still looking at the apprenticeships sites. It's really difficult to go forward when u don't see results.

Your right in saying its a numbers game and I should remain patience and just keep applying. But it's difficult. Seeing other people graduate, really hurts a lot. I ask myself, why can't that be me!? But then again people go to uni because they like a course that they want to do.

Have you got a degree? If so, how was your uni experience? If you don't have one, what did u do?

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    You are allowed to retrain for something different aren't you? There must be something you enjoy doing that you can set your path towards without necessarily getting a degree.

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    Honestly it doesn't sound like uni is for you, or at least nor the course you were taking. So I don't recommend you go back, most people can get through the first year fine. but if you don't like your course and aren't committed then 2nd year onwards it will become difficult and mentally exhausting. I also don't think you should waste your student finance funded years you have left on a course you don't like/ may drop out of. Because then in the future if you do find something you seriously want to pursue at university, you won't be fully funded to do so.

Seems like your best bet is finding work. Possibly an apprenticeship, internship or trainee position so you can work your way up. You'll have to apply for a lot though. You may get discouraged applying for things and not hearing back, but it's become a numbers game to be honest.

Also get your CV checked out. Maybe try some volunteering to get some experience on there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarak2016)
    Yes I guess your right in saying not to go back. However, after completing 1st year I then took a gap year (this year) since I didn't want to go back.

During my gap year this year, I didn't do much or didn't gain anything. Which basically a year wasted.

I thought I'd apply for lots of jobs & apprenticeships as well as volunteering work. But I didn't apply for it that much. Getting a job was difficult since I didn't have the relevant experience and/or applying for apprenticeships were hard. This is because there weren't that many of interest. Some I applied and I never heard from them. So I then just gave up. That got me really worried and demotivated about life, since I don't really have a purpose. I'm trying to stay positive & still looking at the apprenticeships sites. It's really difficult to go forward when u don't see results.

Your right in saying its a numbers game and I should remain patience and just keep applying. But it's difficult. Seeing other people graduate, really hurts a lot. I ask myself, why can't that be me!? But then again people go to uni because they like a course that they want to do.

Have you got a degree? If so, how was your uni experience? If you don't have one, what did u do?

This is going to sound harsh. But you're going to have to suck it up.

You need to apply for a lot more, and you need to not be so picky when you are just starting out. Pretty much no one starts out doing something they love. But you're never going to get anywhere if you just give up and are too picky with any opportunities that are out there.

Yes I have a degree, I didn't like it and it's not provided me that much opportunity as like yourself I also lack experience. So it's up to us to go out there, apply ourselves and find opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm going to step it up and start applying for more and stop being picky since it's not getting me anywhere.

Good luck in applying & searching for jobs. I hope you do find something that you want and I wish you all the best!

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    This is going to sound harsh. But you're going to have to suck it up.

You need to apply for a lot more, and you need to not be so picky when you are just starting out. Pretty much no one starts out doing something they love. But you're never going to get anywhere if you just give up and are too picky with any opportunities that are out there.

Yes I have a degree, I didn't like it and it's not provided me that much opportunity as like yourself I also lack experience. So it's up to us to go out there, apply ourselves and find opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm going to step it up and start applying for more and stop being picky since it's not getting me anywhere.

Good luck in applying & searching for jobs. I hope you do find something that you want and I wish you all the best!
    Thank you, and good luck to you too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going the a situation where I don't know whether to go to uni after my gap year as well. I decided to take one after my last year at sixth form and honestly it was really hard for me to even get a job at first. It took months but I just kept applying and eventually got one. I actually have 2 jobs now to get some extra money. After a year of being out of education I don't know whether to go uni next month or continuing working but even then they're just mediocre jobs that get me by

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ray, many thanks for your reply! Yes I'm in a similar situation as to you as well. I don't know whether to back and get a degree. To be honest I'm not really determined to go back.

Like you said, it's really difficult finding a job in today's market. But I guess I have to keep trying and also look at apprenticeships since You can gain valuable work experience as well as gaining qualifications.

How are you finding the 2 jobs that you are working in? Do you regret not going uni after finishing sixth form?

(Original post by Ray133)
    I'm going the a situation where I don't know whether to go to uni after my gap year as well. I decided to take one after my last year at sixth form and honestly it was really hard for me to even get a job at first. It took months but I just kept applying and eventually got one. I actually have 2 jobs now to get some extra money. After a year of being out of education I don't know whether to go uni next month or continuing working but even then they're just mediocre jobs that get me by

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ray, many thanks for your reply! Yes I'm in a similar situation as to you as well. I don't know whether to back and get a degree. To be honest I'm not really determined to go back.

Like you said, it's really difficult finding a job in today's market. But I guess I have to keep trying and also look at apprenticeships since You can gain valuable work experience as well as gaining qualifications.

How are you finding the 2 jobs that you are working in? Do you regret not going uni after finishing sixth form?
    Yeah the best thing to do is to keep trying. I know a few people who struggled for a while but eventually got something. The 2 jobs are just a chance to get more money tbh. I have gained a lot of skilled and matured a lot but they aren't really enjoyable and don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with them.
    I don't regret taking a gap year as I knew for sure I wasn't in the right mindset to go uni at all last year. I was thinking I might just go uni and see how it is for the first few weeks/month, if I don't like it I'm going to drop out. At least then I would know uni wasn't for me

ReputationRep:
    Yh I guess your right - just keep trying & see what happens. Hope I do get something in the end.

Have u applied for uni this year for September? If so, what uni did u apply to and what subject are you taking. I hope it all turns out for u and I wish u all the best!
    QUOTE=Ray133;73296998]Yeah the best thing to do is to keep trying. I know a few people who struggled for a while but eventually got something. The 2 jobs are just a chance to get more money tbh. I have gained a lot of skilled and matured a lot but they aren't really enjoyable and don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with them.
    I don't regret taking a gap year as I knew for sure I wasn't in the right mindset to go uni at all last year. I was thinking I might just go uni and see how it is for the first few weeks/month, if I don't like it I'm going to drop out. At least then I would know uni wasn't for me[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    Yh I guess your right - just keep trying & see what happens. Hope I do get something in the end.

Have u applied for uni this year for September? If so, what uni did u apply to and what subject are you taking. I hope it all turns out for u and I wish u all the best!
    Yeah you will in the end don't worry. And yeah I applied for this September. I applied to DMU for criminology and criminal justice with psychology😬

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.