felixmosson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've just finished my GCSEs and I am having trouble making A-Level choices. I would like to study Medicine, Chemical Engineering or Economics. I would like to take Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics.

Preferably, I would like to avoid Biology as I really did not enjoy it at GCSE. However, I do understand that it is necessary at some universities for medicine.

The questions I have are

Can I apply for medicine without Biology?

Will doing Biology make it a lot easier to take medicine or will it just broaden my options?

Does doing economics at A-Level make my application more competitive for Economics at Uni or is it not really worth the extra time it would take as a 4th A-Level?

Do GCSEs have a lot of weight in a university application or does it just help with getting into Sixth Form? I've heard from current Sixth Formers that you don't need straight A*s to be competitive and that doing well in relevant subjects for your course will be sufficient. (I am not feeling optimistic about my English results, however I won't get below a C)

I am predicted A*s in all three separate sciences, Business studies, and I have already achieved an A* for maths.

I will be taking the new A-Level in 2019 so there will no longer be any AS Levels.

Thank you in advance for your advice!
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by felixmosson)
I've just finished my GCSEs and I am having trouble making A-Level choices. I would like to study Medicine, Chemical Engineering or Economics. I would like to take Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics.

Preferably, I would like to avoid Biology as I really did not enjoy it at GCSE. However, I do understand that it is necessary at some universities for medicine.

The questions I have are

Can I apply for medicine without Biology?

Will doing Biology make it a lot easier to take medicine or will it just broaden my options?
It's possible to do medicine without biology, but it is nonetheless highly recommended for prospective medics to do it. Not having biology will restrict your options quite significantly. If you don't like biology then you won't like medicine, simple as that.

Yes, it will make it easier.

Does doing economics at A-Level make my application more competitive for Economics at Uni or is it not really worth the extra time it would take as a 4th A-Level?
No, having economics at A level would not make your application more competitive if you applied to do economics at university.

Do GCSEs have a lot of weight in a university application or does it just help with getting into Sixth Form? I've heard from current Sixth Formers that you don't need straight A*s to be competitive and that doing well in relevant subjects for your course will be sufficient. (I am not feeling optimistic about my English results, however I won't get below a C)
For medicine, they have some weight, but generally, GCSEs are far less important than teachers make out. You certainly do not need a string of A*s to be competitive.
felixmosson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
It's possible to do medicine without biology, but it is nonetheless highly recommended for prospective medics to do it. Not having biology will restrict your options quite significantly. If you don't like biology then you won't like medicine, simple as that.

Yes, it will make it easier.

No, having economics at A level would not make your application more competitive if you applied to do economics at university.

For medicine, they have some weight, but generally, GCSEs are far less important than teachers make out. You certainly do not need a string of A*s to be competitive.
Thanks mate, from people's replies I will have a look at the syllabus for biology to make a decision. I'll also talk to some teachers at results day to better inform myself. If I did Maths, chemistry and biology do you still think I'll be open to engineering if I changed my mind or will I need physics?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by felixmosson)
Thanks mate, from people's replies I will have a look at the syllabus for biology to make a decision. I'll also talk to some teachers at results day to better inform myself. If I did Maths, chemistry and biology do you still think I'll be open to engineering if I changed my mind or will I need physics?
Yes, I think so. Look on university websites, unless they categorically say that they want physics for engineering, not having it would be totally fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.68%
No (64)
38.32%

Watched Threads