Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feel guilty/not good and smart enough for grammar schools. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I always try push myself to work my hardest and get the best grades. I currently go to a normal academy and i get one of the best grades in my year group and im in all top sets. However i still feel like im not good enough compared to granmar school students and that even if i get high grades at my school its still not good enough to be classed as 'smart'. In a way im jealous of grammar school students because i feel dumb and hopeless by them as i wont be as successful which hurts a lot. It is important to me as i do want to apply for a sixth form at a grammar school.I just need some advice to help with this feeling. My current grades are:
    7+ biology
    B+ business
    7 chemistry
    6- english language
    6+ english literature
    7+ geograohy
    6+ maths
    6+ pe
    7 physics
    A sociology
    5 spanish
    I am moving into year 11 this term. It is also more stressful for me as i really want to study medicine and that requires high grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Randomstudwnt)
    I always try push myself to work my hardest and get the best grades. I currently go to a normal academy and i get one of the best grades in my year group and im in all top sets. However i still feel like im not good enough compared to granmar school students and that even if i get high grades at my school its still not good enough to be classed as 'smart'. In a way im jealous of grammar school students because i feel dumb and hopeless by them as i wont be as successful which hurts a lot. I just need some advice to help with this feeling. My current grades are:
    7+ biology
    B+ business
    7 chemistry
    6- english language
    6+ english literature
    7+ geograohy
    6+ maths
    6+ pe
    7 physics
    A sociology
    5 spanish
    I am moving into year 11 this term.
    Hey - Most people go to state schools in this country and many people end up getting better grades than their grammar school counterparts.

Your grades are fantastic - please don't feel like you're "dumb" just because you don't go to a grammar.

Just because someone's been tutored to death to pass the 11+ doesn't make them "smarter" than you.

ReputationRep:
    I failed to get into a grammar school, and everything turned out fine for me. I have decent (but not excellent) GCSE grades, and made it into a top university.

ReputationRep:
    I always try push myself to work my hardest and get the best grades. I currently go to a normal academy and i get one of the best grades in my year group and im in all top sets. However i still feel like im not good enough compared to granmar school students and that even if i get high grades at my school its still not good enough to be classed as 'smart'. In a way im jealous of grammar school students because i feel dumb and hopeless by them as i wont be as successful which hurts a lot. I just need some advice to help with this feeling. My current grades are:
    7+ biology
    B+ business
    7 chemistry
    6- english language
    6+ english literature
    7+ geograohy
    6+ maths
    6+ pe
    7 physics
    A sociology
    5 spanish
    I am moving into year 11 this term.
    I know exactly what you're going through as i was in a similar situation at your age. You just have to really discipline yourself and hold yourself to the highest standards because no one else will. I know that may be a lot to ask and it will be really tough at times but trust me you will reap the rewards if you approach your education with this type of mentality. i was predicted around the same grades as you (with a variation in maths and science) , comparing yourself to them will only damage your confidence in your ability - revision and exam/mock performance in the long run. A lot of people on TSR really don't know how easy they have it and are very snobbish/prudish and have traditionalist views which will go in the face of your ethics but you literally have to not care about anyone else other than yourself as when it comes to you applying to universities/apprenticeships/jobs you realise that no one else matters to you. I mean if you really put serious graft into your subjects you could easily come out with top grades, grammar school students only have an advantage over you because of the teaching they've received really. i know people that got A*s in GCSE maths (i got a B) then got Us at AS level whereas i got an A because i grafted my ass off and am looking to come out with A*A/A*A*in maths and further maths this year - whereas people at my local grammar get around the same / less coveted grades. I get that its hard not to compare yourself to others and a platform like TSR doesn't help - most yearn for the approval of others (certain people in the maths applicants space). They don't matter, they may be smart today but who's to say that you can't pull something extraordinary out of the bag?

Just don't put a limit on yourself, grammar school students may be successful but theres also a dark side to grammars & you don't know the lengths people go to get their grades - nootropics (study drugs) & much worse. If you really feel like you're behind them then you still have enough time left now to pull your self above and beyond their level. I like that you push yourself to do well but push smarter not harder.

few tips (apologies if they're unneeded/unwanted)
    -plan your study carefully
    -make it enjoyable
    -background reading never goes amis
    -Ignore pessimistic teachers as some of them could actually be very jealous of your potential
    -Ignore target grades, set your own & test yourself to see where you are at every now and then in the new academic year
    -Start early

i'd say why not aim to for oxbridge? you are a determined young person by the sound of it and with all your hard work you could well end up at a top institution.

Feel free to PM me at any time, i hope this helped.

(dw you've got this)

edit: you're not dumb, the prestige and other factors surrounding grammar students just make it appear that way in your mind. Also like Blue_Cow said , tutoring is just glamorised educational
    baby feeding.

ReputationRep:
    That was a really nice comment and its nice to relate to someone. I just worry that i dont have the best teaching at my school ( it is rated a good by ofsted) compared to grammar schools and that even if i do revise my hardest i still wont get into a grammar school sixth form which i know if i dont ill be gutted

ReputationRep:
    Getting into a grammar school doesn't make you intelligent, it usually just means that, as the user above put it, you've been "tutored to death". Besides, people reach their potential at different ages. For example, I failed to get into my local grammar school and instead went to a local state school. I got okay GCSEs but I am now predicted A*A*A*A for A level and am hopefully going to be off to LSE next year.

In fact, going to a school which performs poorly can actually be advantageous as the top universities may consider you for lower 'contextual' offers/ give you preferential treatment during the admissions process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Hey - Most people go to state schools in this country and many people end up getting better grades than their grammar school counterparts.

Your grades are fantastic - please don't feel like you're "dumb" just because you don't go to a grammar.

Just because someone's been tutored to death to pass the 11+ doesn't make them "smarter" than you.
    That is a good point, i think its because the area i live in has more grammar schools ( some of the best in the country)than state schools and also the way it is glamorised makes state school students feel worse even if they do work hard.

ReputationRep:
    That was a really nice comment and its nice to relate to someone. I just worry that i dont have the best teaching at my school ( it is rated a good by ofsted) compared to grammar schools and that even if i do revise my hardest i still wont get into a grammar school sixth form which i know if i dont ill be gutted
    . Same boat once again my school/sixth form was rated inadequate after the recent inspections xD, you can go against the odds and get in, you have a lot of time this academic year , i really do believe in you. You've really got to be smart with your revision i can't stress that enough - planning, trying different methods such as note taking (add some colour as it makes reading over them more appealing)& condensing, flash cards, past questions then papers. literally if you plan your revision in stages for each subject ,progressing from notes to past papers the content will stick and exam technique will begin to feel natural(examiners reports are a major key) . its not necessarily the amount of time you spend revising , its the quality of each revision session that counts. At GCSE that can make all the difference & even if you don't do as well as you want to , having the top a levels is way way better than having top GCSEs. Everything is progression based, you just have to take your time and keep your cool and you will get there eventually. Just know that the confidence will take time to build & you know that regardless of how you're GCSEs pan out you're going to have learned some vital life lessons which will put you on the right course for academic success at the A-level stage.

Oh and do NOT and i mean do not let your peers hold you back - sacrifices must be made in order to succeed

I wish you the best of luck going into next year

ReputationRep:
    I was in a grammar school butI never got tutored. Then my mother wen't up once or twice they don't tolerate bad attention like that especially because my mums in leisure and they really don't want to look like they are bad but that's psychopathic behaviour but it's not beneath them to deal with it. Really thought they stuck their noses in where they shouldn't be it was atrocious by the end it was great fun at the start. I spent 3/4 of the worst years of my life between friends school and Brunel university then again a few years ago it was bad again. I don't care. Just go comprehensives my neighbours had 10 A* at GCSEs and they were foreign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xs4)
    . Same boat once again my school/sixth form was rated inadequate after the recent inspections xD, you can go against the odds and get in, you have a lot of time this academic year , i really do believe in you. You've really got to be smart with your revision i can't stress that enough - planning, trying different methods such as note taking (add some colour as it makes reading over them more appealing)& condensing, flash cards, past questions then papers. literally if you plan your revision in stages for each subject ,progressing from notes to past papers the content will stick and exam technique will begin to feel natural(examiners reports are a major key) . its not necessarily the amount of time you spend revising , its the quality of each revision session that counts. At GCSE that can make all the difference & even if you don't do as well as you want to , having the top a levels is way way better than having top GCSEs. Everything is progression based, you just have to take your time and keep your cool and you will get there eventually. Just know that the confidence will take time to build & you know that regardless of how you're GCSEs pan out you're going to have learned some vital life lessons which will put you on the right course for academic success at the A-level stage.

Oh and do NOT and i mean do not let your peers hold you back - sacrifices must be made in order to succeed

I wish you the best of luck going into next year
    I really appreciate your advice (I've it to help me remember 😂.i currently revise by writing out what i learn from books and just started answering questions from the book. I feel as if i don't know any other ways to revise because looking through a past paper might not be relevant to the topic im revising but i dont know for sure. Do you have any tips on how to plan revising for different subjects for my GCSEs like timing or and making sure i equally revise each subject??

ReputationRep:
    I really appreciate your advice (I've it to help me remember 😂.i currently revise by writing out what i learn from books and just started answering questions from the book. I feel as if i don't know any other ways to revise because looking through a past paper might not be relevant to the topic im revising but i dont know for sure. Do you have any tips on how to plan revising for different subjects for my GCSEs like timing or and making sure i equally revise each subject??
    I'd say assign a certain amount of time each week to each subject (it doesn't really matter if you don't cover the time or go over it too much) & assign staged processes to each subject for e.g

ST1 - reading / note making `(add bubble text/colour to make it look more appealing)
    ST2 - condensing the notes i have made (less words on a smaller piece of paper say from A4 sheets to A5)
    ST3 - try to condense ST2 notes even further for some revision cards (add colour and use key words, this will allow you to recall ST1/2 notes after you re-read them)
    ST4 - Look at past questions and try and make my own model answers using revision cards & mark schemes to start off with if need be/ try past questions/ book questions
    ST5 - Attempt a past paper (untimed)
    ST6 - Attempt a timed paper (strict conditions)

So you could have on a monday

ST1
    science
    RE
    english lit (try andcover 2-4 subjects a day depending on how much time you have)

You could use tables on microsoft word at school to form a revision timetable that you can stick to a wall (i'll try and find mine, if i can i will send it to you) & outline your objectives for the week
    e.g "i want to cover x amount of maths questions" "i want to be at this point in the syllabus by this day (or get to a certain chapter etc)"

Oh yeah use the syllabus/specification for your subjects man , your teachers may miss out bits because they may think that they won't come up/ don't have time to teach it. Print off the specifications for all and tick off each part as you get through the material.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently at a grammar school and in my opinion the tests to get in Yr7 (when I joined back in 2012 - unsure of how they are now or if it differs in different areas) were mostly just a case of who was tutored and had extra help etc. From this I can say that your grades are more than good enough for a grammar school and not just my school but other schools in the area, your predicted grades are brilliant and if you work hard you're sure to get them. You don't need to go to a grammar school to do well, I have plenty of friends at comprehensives that are faaaar more intelligent than I am xD If you were to go to a grammar school for sixth form I'm sure you'd have no problem in terms of academics and most grammar school sixth forms (at least where I live) tend to get a lot of external pupils joining so there's little segregation between internal and external pupils as everyone's in the same boat really If I were you, apply to as many sixth forms in your area that you'd even slightly consider going to as it leaves your options open as I ended up changing my mind soooo many times when picking a sixth form as there's a lot to consider and things can change within the school between when you apply and when you get your
    results. After applying, just focus on getting the best results possible and don't worry about it until after exams, you'll know you've kept your options open so it'll be fine. Your grades are really impressive, definitely good enough for a grammar school and don't worry about Yr11 - you clearly care about your results which is the most important thing, good luck!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Don't let people on TSR make you feel inadequate, those are great grades in general let alone for a year 10/11. One of my biggest pieces of advice is not to compare yourself to others, focus on your own journey and realise that even though everyone may act like they know what they're doing, it's probably just an act, you're all on the same level. Just work hard on improving your knowledge and making yourself proud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinnamonSmol)
    Don't let people on TSR make you feel inadequate, those are great grades in general let alone for a year 10/11. One of my biggest pieces of advice is not to compare yourself to others, focus on your own journey and realise that even though everyone may act like they know what they're doing, it's probably just an act, you're all on the same level. Just work hard on improving your knowledge and making yourself proud
    Great advice and great profile pic

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Your grades are AMAZING, and you're only just going into year 11. Don't be so hard on yourself. I didn't feel smart enough and when mock exams came around I got all A's and B's which shocked me so much and I expect the same will happen to you.

All you can do is your best. If you're trying as hard as you can then that's all you can do and from the sound of it, you are going well beyond anyone in your year group. It may just be a lack of confidence but if anybody tries to tell you that you're not smart from looking at those grades, then stuff them.

I was in the exact same position as you and I technically still am, so feel free to talk anytime.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xs4)
    Great advice and great profile pic
    thanksx2 i believe my profile pic truly captures my perpetual angst

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position at you! I'm also going to Year 11, and I'm at a comprehensive, but want to go to a grammar for Sixth Form. I'm worried myself lmao, but I want to go to these schools so bad!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I always try push myself to work my hardest and get the best grades. I currently go to a normal academy and i get one of the best grades in my year group and im in all top sets. However i still feel like im not good enough compared to granmar school students and that even if i get high grades at my school its still not good enough to be classed as 'smart'. In a way im jealous of grammar school students because i feel dumb and hopeless by them as i wont be as successful which hurts a lot. It is important to me as i do want to apply for a sixth form at a grammar school.I just need some advice to help with this feeling. My current grades are:
    7+ biology
    B+ business
    7 chemistry
    6- english language
    6+ english literature
    7+ geograohy
    6+ maths
    6+ pe
    7 physics
    A sociology
    5 spanish
    I am moving into year 11 this term. It is also more stressful for me as i really want to study medicine and that requires high grades.
    Hey coming from someone who goes to a grammar school, believe me - grammar schools aren't all they're hyped up to be. Probably more than half the kids aren't all that smart and just got in because they could pay for it. And don't think going to a state school will stop you from achieving your goals - your teachers are just as good as the ones at grammar schools. Don't feel dumb - if you're in all the top sets and you push yourself to achieve more, you will find grammar school entrance really easy and you won't lag behind when you get in. Trust me - I used to be scared of the exact same thing and now in grammar school, it feels completely normal and I'm not stressed more than any average high school student. Chin up - you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korosensei)
    I'm in the same position at you! I'm also going to Year 11, and I'm at a comprehensive, but want to go to a grammar for Sixth Form. I'm worried myself lmao, but I want to go to these schools so bad!!!!!
    Im glad im not alone😂

ReputationRep:
    7+ biology
    B+ business
    7 chemistry
    6- english language
    6+ english literature
    7+ geograohy
    6+ maths
    6+ pe
    7 physics
    A sociology
    5 spanish
    Awwww don't worry i totally understand you! When i didn't get into the grammar school i wept for about a month but soon got over it and went to a normal all girls school with ok gcse results. Trust me, just because you don't go to a grammar school it doesn't mean your not intelligent. Going to a grammar school just means you got that extra tuition or early practise and luckily got in. Nothing special! Just work hard in your gcse's and put your head down and focus. Im going into year 10 and when ever i see grammar school kids, just like you i feel a bit sad that they get to carry around that pride of going to a grammar school but now i really don't care im just working hard towards gcse's as i also want to go to a grammar school sixth form and study medicine. Your grades are amazing! Don't let the grammar school business push you down its just a distraction trying to pull you away from gcse's. In life it doesn't really matter where you go as long as you work hard you will get rewarded, grammar school or not! For example i know this is late but in 2014, Cambridge accepted 3,186 pupils from normal comprehensive schools compared to 1,688 pupils from grammar schools! Thats a huge gap (1,498). I really do understand your anguish though, i really do. Like i said previously when i got rejected i cried and i was so angry because all that revision and past paper work i did just went to waste (and i was young and a crybaby lol)! But now im focusing on gcse's and im not letting some grammar school kids pull me down and it shouldn't pull you down either. They learn the exact same things at us, do the same mocks as us (i think lol). There's nothing special about grammar school so please, please don't feel dumb or stupid because feeling hopeless is a wasted emotion because you are somebody. Just because you don't go to grammar school it doesnt mean you can't succeed! Stop doubting my friend, work hard and make it happen.xxxxxxxxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.