How do A levels work?! Watch

pibobelebeep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I finished my IGCSE and got my results the other day. That made be realise I know nothing about how a levels work!!

Like, what papers do we have in as level, and what in a level. How does the final marks depend on as level marks?

So if anyone can give me ANY information on how a levels works, please!! Help!
K-Man_PhysCheM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pibobelebeep)
I finished my IGCSE and got my results the other day. That made be realise I know nothing about how a levels work!!

Like, what papers do we have in as level, and what in a level. How does the final marks depend on as level marks?

So if anyone can give me ANY information on how a levels works, please!! Help!
The papers you have depends on your subjects and exam board (Edexcel, AQA, etc...), so once you know which exam board you are doing for each subject, it would be worth checking out the subject specifications on their websites to see what exams you'll get.

Generally, the new A-levels are linear, which means that AS exams do NOT count towards your full A-level grade. AS exams are now just a progress indicator and can be useful as evidence for predicted grades, or just act as standalone qualification. But some sixth forms/colleges are opting out of AS exams and doing internal assessments instead to determine predicted grades. They probably do this to take the pressure off students in year 12, especially as the AS exams do not count towards the final A-level grade anyway. You would need to ask your sixth form/college about whether or not they still sit AS exams for the linear A-levels.
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In the new system, as above pointed out, the AS exams that you complete at the end of year one do not contribute to your final A Level grade. They can be used as a progress indicator, they are often used by universities to determine whether or not to give you an offer, but they can also be treated as a standalone qualification which would get you around 40% of the UCAS points of a full A2.

Usually A2 exams are longer with more content and usually have more higher level assessment, but you won't know which exams you're doing until the subjects and exam boards are determined.

If you need any more specific advice, let us know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (378)
56.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.35%

Watched Threads