Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I get a barcode tattoo ? please reply asap Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleverboy1991)
    I am 25 and I've wanted a barcode tattoo for ages, I would put it on my wrist.

I would like it to scan and I know they can because I've seen and read about barcode tattoos that work under barcode scanners.
    However I don't want to be walking out of a shop and setting the store alarms off with my barcode tattoo, that is the only thing that slightly worries me lol.

Anyway I have decided I really want this tattoo and think I will get it, jut wodering your opinions on them, thanks
    I think that is really cool... if you really want to have one then go ahead.... is it mean to symbolize something or u just wanna do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Only if it is on your forehead.

But the security ink tag on your arse might be more problematic.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    What are you going to come up as when you're scanned?
    I'm wanting something that most stores stock like milk or eggs or some other food or drink that will scan almost everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilDanthropist)
    I think that is really cool... if you really want to have one then go ahead.... is it mean to symbolize something or u just wanna do it
    Thank you, not really to symbolise though I guess it could be but rather because I really really like it

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, not really to symbolise though I guess it could be but rather because I really really like it
    Then go ahead.. send us a pic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilDanthropist)
    Then go ahead.. send us a pic
    Thanks and I will

ReputationRep:
    Thanks and I will
    You won't, because you didn't last time.

... or the other time.

.. or this time

.. or THIS time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    You won't, because you didn't last time.

... or the other time.

.. or this time

.. or THIS time.
    Sorry, do you have a problem at all ?

If you read what I said I told you I have spent ages, long time deciding but I have now decided that I want it .

ReputationRep:
    Personally i wouldnt, but whatever floats your boat.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Because I really like it
    Isn't that a bit unusual?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm wanting something that most stores stock like milk or eggs or some other food or drink that will scan almost everywhere.
    I hope this is a troll, but giving you the benefit of the doubt; there is one big flaw in your plan:

Bar codes are nothing more than a representation of numbers unique to a line item. Those numbers are not generic.

i.e. the code for say a bottle of 'Home Farms, 2 litre, semi-skimmed, 2% fat, milk' at Sainsbury, will only last as long as the store does not allocate that number code to a different product. That same code may call up 'de-worming tablets for dogs' in say Tesco, or most likely, nothing at all.

It most certainly will not work in any store other than Sainsbury, and even then, it will only work as long as Sainsbury does not change the code.

In essence, you would be branding yourself forever, with something that has a literally limited shelf life for both the product and bar code. It could work for two years in a Sainsbury store, or it could change the next day.

You could even be unlucky and find the code was changed while you were getting the tattoo, and when you proudly scan yourself for the first time, it comes up with 'Durex, extra safe, 6 pack.' Which, ironically, would make you a prized dic*k.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Lol @ people replying seriously to this. OP makes a new thread about it every few months on new accounts.
    This is known...

ReputationRep:

However I don't want to be walking out of a shop and setting the store alarms off with my barcode tattoo, that is the only thing that slightly worries me lol.
    this is a direct contradiction of your username. Tattoos do not send signals to security scanners but you know that already
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I just thought, instead of getting a barcode, why don't you get a QR code? That way everyone can scan you and you can link it to your social media page :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    I just thought, instead of getting a barcode, why don't you get a QR code? That way everyone can scan you and you can link it to your social media page :awesome:
    I prefer UPC codes, but thanks for your suggestions !

ReputationRep:

I would like it to scan and I know they can because I've seen and read about barcode tattoos that work under barcode scanners.

Anyway I have decided I really want this tattoo and think I will get it, jut wodering your opinions on them, thanks
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    https://i.pinimg.com/736x/84/dc/2c/8...****-memes.jpg

But seriously, it's your wrist lol

ReputationRep:
    No. They're not really fashionable any more, a bit outdated, and the parallel lines and spacing will look terrible as your skin ages. You will have more of your life with it on, than you've had without it, and it will only look crisp for a very small proportion of that time.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome back, Agent 47.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alan-Moore)
    Why?
    Well why not ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.