Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I get a barcode tattoo ? please reply asap Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyKittenLady)
    Yeah that one would be really Cool, how long have you wanted a barcode tattoo for. Just wondering as I am to least decisive person ever always changing my mind on what I want to have done :P
    I've been debating it and wanting it for about 2 years and I'm finally going to get it, life is too short to spend so long thinking and not doing

ReputationRep:
    It's already such an effort to get things to scan on self service check outs... do you really think a barcode under your clothes, facing your body of a barcode that is unrelated to the shop is going to set off any alarms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moura)
    It's already such an effort to get things to scan on self service check outs... do you really think a barcode under your clothes, facing your body of a barcode that is unrelated to the shop is going to set off any alarms?
    Well what's the difference between a barcode on an item setting off an alarm of a barcode on me ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleverboy1991)
    Well what's the difference between a barcode on an item setting off an alarm of a barcode on me ?
    barcodes do not set off alarms... hence why if you buy 10 packets of smarties, the shop assistant can scan the same pack 10 times without the other 9 packets setting off an alarm.

even if they did set off alarms (which they don't), you would have to have a barcode for that specific store or chain, for a specific item they had in stock for it to have any effect.

ReputationRep:
    lol when the OP gets charged extra on his groceries bill for whatever he comes up as in the barcode.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    I've been debating it and wanting it for about 2 years and I'm finally going to get it, life is too short to spend so long thinking and not doing
    Thats good yeah 2 years sounds like a long enough amount of time. You could have a look at local tattoo conventions they always have the top tattooist at them Just make sure you do your research in to the tattooist portfolio so you can check that they are good. Last thing you want is wobbly lines on your barcode.

ReputationRep:
    I am 25 and I've wanted a barcode tattoo for ages, I would put it on my wrist.

I would like it to scan and I know they can because I've seen and read about barcode tattoos that work under barcode scanners.
    However I don't want to be walking out of a shop and setting the store alarms off with my barcode tattoo, that is the only thing that slightly worries me lol.

Anyway I have decided I really want this tattoo and think I will get it, jut wodering your opinions on them, thanks
    That wouldn't work lol

ReputationRep:
    Thats good yeah 2 years sounds like a long enough amount of time. You could have a look at local tattoo conventions they always have the top tattooist at them Just make sure you do your research in to the tattooist portfolio so you can check that they are good. Last thing you want is wobbly lines on your barcode.
    Good morning.

I'm going to try and get something booked today to get this tattoo done, 2 years is too long considering on a tattoo, I really like it so I'm getting it. I'm a bit apprehensive if I'm going to be setting off the alarms though with my barcode tattoo but I can deal with that if it happens,
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Good morning.

I'm going to try and get something booked today to get this tattoo done, 2 years is too long considering on a tattoo, I really like it so I'm getting it. I'm a bit apprehensive if I'm going to be setting off the alarms though with my barcode tattoo but I can deal with that if it happens,
    Morning

Have you had a good look at the artists portfolio?

Also if you get this done afterwards make sure to let us all know if it BEEPS, and upload a photo x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Good morning.

Barcodes are not the trigger for the security scanners.

You must've seen security tags on clothes/games/CDs etc.?

Even if they were, you'll most likely end up booking it with a £10 p/h tattoo artist that won't manage to draw a straight line and won't scan at all.

ReputationRep:
    Just as long as you aren't overpriced then yeah its a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    Barcodes are not the trigger for the security scanners.

You must've seen security tags on clothes/games/CDs etc.?

Even if they were, you'll most likely end up booking it with a £10 p/h tattoo artist that won't manage to draw a straight line and won't scan at all.
    yes security tags set off alarms but in some stores were the owners has set up the alarm gates the barcodes also set the alarms off , not in all stores but some where they have been set to do that

ReputationRep:
    Morning

Have you had a good look at the artists portfolio?

Also if you get this done afterwards make sure to let us all know if it BEEPS, and upload a photo x
    hi, yes I've had a little look, some of them are really nice thanks.

I've spoken to a tattoo artisit and he says he should be able to book me in to have it done and so soon I shall have a fully operating UPC barcode tattoed on my wrist

I will let you all know if my barcoded wrist makes the store alarms scream out lol, it would be funny if it did lol. I'm excited about getting scanned under barcode scanners though, that is going to be so cool !

edit : ignore the spoliers I added them my mistake and don't know how to remove them lol
    Spoiler:
    Show

• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    hi, yes I've had a little look, some of them are really nice thanks.

I've spoken to a tattoo artisit and he says he should be able to book me in to have it done and so soon I shall have a fully operating barcode tattoed on my wrist

edit : ignore the spoliers I added them my mistake and don't know how to remove them lol
    Spoiler:
    Show

Thats great glad you have had a look at his work and had a good think about whether this is right for you When are you booked in for ? Looking forward to a photo and to here whether it works, have you decided what product you want it to scan as?

ReputationRep:
    What about a QR code?

I don't see the appeal, but surely that would look better than a barcode.

ReputationRep:
    barcodes are not infallible:

Name:  tsrbagging2.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  347.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    Thats great glad you have had a look at his work and had a good think about whether this is right for you When are you booked in for ? Looking forward to a photo and to here whether it works, have you decided what product you want it to scan as?
    the tattoist said maybe this Saturday or if not then next week. He said a friend of his who is a tattoist and lives down south did a barcode tattoo for someone a few years ago and that the girl told him in certain shops her barcode tattoo would set off alarms ! not in all shops but the rare few that contained her barcode and that had their system set up to detect barcodes lol

I know this sounds silly and cheap but most shops stock them so I can get scanned in most stores, I'm thinking maybe a bag of sugar, crate of eggs or carton of milk or something ? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
    What about a QR code?

I don't see the appeal, but surely that would look better than a barcode.
    thanks but no thanks. I prefer UPC barcodes way more than QR codes ,
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    the tattoist said maybe this Saturday or if not then next week. He said a friend of his who is a tattoist and lives down south did a barcode tattoo for someone a few years ago and that the girl told him in certain shops her barcode tattoo would set off alarms ! not in all shops but the rare few that contained her barcode and that had their system set up to detect barcodes lol

I know this sounds silly and cheap but most shops stock them so I can get scanned in most stores, I'm thinking maybe a bag of sugar, crate of eggs or carton of milk or something ? lol
    Thats good ! I think setting off a few alarms will be funny :P

Sugar sounds sweet hehe
    Or your favourite treat but then that could change hmmm mine would probs me malteasers

ReputationRep:
    Your biggest buzz seems to be coming from the potential (ie. unknown) interaction with time-limited in-store technology. Barcodes will be like 8-track audio or Betamax video before you can say ker-ching. Still, you seem to need the attention.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.