Debate.
lucymoose
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Again...

Harder how? Academically? In that case, A levels are harder than BTEC. This isn't a question...
A lot of my friends who are BTEC students claim that BTECs are just as hard as A levels. Just wanted some opinions, that's all.
username3456172
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It all depends. The nature of the subjects is very different. You can't do a BTEC in English Literature or Physics for example.

In my opinion, the 100% coursework BTECs (I think it is changing this year) is nowhere near as difficult as A level. This is because, with an A level, you are required to regurgitate high volumes of information on the spot. BTEC qualifications only require you to do cw that you can continually edit.
lucymoose
Rep:
?
Fair enough BTEC students do tend to claim their course is 'just as hard' as the equivalent A level course - but they would say that, wouldn't they? BTEC teaches and tests different skills but academically it is significantly easier than A level, both in terms of breadth and depth of content. I've prepared candidates for both. This is why A level, rather than BTEC, is the standard qualification which allows entry to University.
Yes, I completely agree This is what I've been trying to tell my friends! Another question, (because I have absolutely no clue about this) if A levels are harder than BTECs why are the points for a D* equivalent to an A* at A level?
lucymoose
Rep:
?
This is a point of great controversy. Technically the achievement is the same - a candidate who achieves a starred distinction at BTEC is equivalent to one who achieves an A* at A Level. However, the type of examined content (and amount of coursework) makes this direct comparison not credible for me. I also don't see candidates regularly going to the top universities with D*D*D in the same way I do with A*A*A candidates - again because the content of BTEC is more technical and less academic - it is a less good preparation for a university course.
Thank you very much!
Bernadette04
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not every student learns in the same way. I believe a mix of A levels and BTECs test students differently and pick out different skills.

My son has done 3 A levels and a BTEC in Health and Social Care. He wanted to do the subject but it isn't taught at A level so he had no choice but to take it as a BTEC. It taught him different skills and he enjoyed the modular aspect of it and the coursework.

A lot of students with additional needs prefer BTECs as you don't have the anxiety of an end of 2 year exam and the pressure that goes with that exam. Some people naturally prefer to learn through modular continually assessed coursework...others prefer the end of year exam.

I don't think there is a right or wrong or better or worse between A levels and BTECS. I am saddened to see BTECS being seen as "unworthy" as they certainly have their place for modular learning. At Uni students are assessed in modules and by exams so I think BTECs prepare you for that modular learning at Uni.

One size A levels do not fit all learners and we should be allowing students to do subjects in both A level and BTEC, whatever suits their personal way of learning. There shouldn't be a better or worse way between them IMO.
LibertyMan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah dude. A level 1 Btec is worth the brainpower of 10 A-level students who were raised and nurtured from birth as raw thinking machines, and a half. If people actually graduated from BTEC our economy would be the most productive in the world and we would be a technological superpower, ruling the solar system and enslaving all other countries in digital psycho-slavery, but it is well known that all BTEC graduates are kidnapped by CHINA and our power is stolen from us.
prostheticzeta
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say there is more work in BTEC, but academically A Levels are harder.

Most of the people I know do not remember anything they did in BTEC as there was no memorising involved, just paper work and presentations. in order to get the D*D*D* a lot of quantity of work is required eg. 10000 words assignments and practicals .
in A level it's more intellectual in a way, which of course is more challenging and therefore harder.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
dan123toffee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No they aren't. My friend is doing a BTEC after failing his A-levels a couple of years ago and is not only doing significantly better but also continuously jokes about how easy it is.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You cant really compare them, they are completely different qualifications.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lucymoose)
if A levels are harder than BTECs why are the points for a D* equivalent to an A* at A level?
This is true for UCAS points but no longer true for the way the government measures schools' performance

Points A Level A* 60.00, A 50.00, B 40.00, C 30.00, D 20.00, E 10.00

Points BTEC (1 A level sized) Distinction* 50.00, Distinction 35.00, Merit 25.00, Pass 15.00
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...qualifications

This appears to be an implicit acknowledgment by the DFE that BTECs are less difficult. Interesting that UCAS don't agree or haven't been brave enough to change.
dan123toffee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 10equals2)
There were people like that on our Access course, though their grades reflected just how wrong they were. Let's see your friend's grades
I'm pretty sure he got D*D*D. I'll ask him later
ckfeister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lucymoose)
Debate.
I'm doing BTEC and A Level, I can tell you I barely try in BTEC and got D* this year, AS Level Maths due to self studying predicting C, might resit to get A/A* [I got Bs in mocks, I don't know how I did so terrible in actual]

A Level Maths is harder than the entire Extended Diploma in Applied Science
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The actual work isn't difficult to understand but the workload is much higher.

Tbh you really can't compare the two because they are designed for different reasons. Btec is primarily for those who want to go into employment straight away hence the opportunity to do multiple work placements.
APersonYo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't even believe the work load is higher. My friend had 2 jobs when he was studying for his BTECs and he achieved D*D*D which is A*A*A. Also, he got 3 Us and a B at AS so honestly..... no. BTEC is a joke.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
BTEC students do significantly less well at university https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...ty-360grz7bt5x although this may be because the system is set up to suit those who did A levels.
APersonYo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is a point of great controversy. Technically the achievement is the same - a candidate who achieves a starred distinction at BTEC is equivalent to one who achieves an A* at A Level. However, the type of examined content (and amount of coursework) makes this direct comparison not credible for me. I also don't see candidates regularly going to the top universities with D*D*D in the same way I do with A*A*A candidates - again because the content of BTEC is more technical and less academic - it is a less good preparation for a university course.
I also find the work-load of BTEC doesn't prepare you for university either. My friend studied a film btec and now that he's doing film at uni he's struggling with the work-load and organising his time.
lulno
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do a levels if you want to learn to take tests and btec if you want to learn.
QueenSade
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s harder now so in Btec you do coursework as well as exams that are to the A-level standard and in the coursework units there is a lot of content cover in little time, as well as tariff points are higher in Btec than A-level. So right Btec is the same as A-level maybe a little bit harder than usual as well.
Sade184
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
False in BTEC you have to Coursework and Exams and in Btec there multiple subjects you have to learn at A- Level standard at this very point Btec is harder than A levels
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are your favourite crisps?

Kettle Chips (14)
13.73%
McCoys Salt and Vinegar (6)
5.88%
McCoys Flame Grilled Steak (5)
4.9%
Walkers Prawn Cockail (15)
14.71%
Monster Munch (9)
8.82%