The Student Room Group

ExxonMobil Energy Challenge (EMEC) 2017

I'm just wondering if anyone else applied to this/if anyone has heard back yet.

I had a Skype interview back in end of June/beginning of July and they said I would hear back from them by mid-august.

Technically that still leaves a few days, but I was just curious to see if other people have been rejected/accepted yet.

Also, how did people find the interview and online tests? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry to put a downer on this one for you Lissy, but I knew a few people that got offers from EMEC, and they received them weeks ago.

If you login to the online portal, it's likely that you'll see that your application was unsuccessful.
Reply 2
Original post by Spher0
Sorry to put a downer on this one for you Lissy, but I knew a few people that got offers from EMEC, and they received them weeks ago.

If you login to the online portal, it's likely that you'll see that your application was unsuccessful.

Ok chick, thanks anyway for the heads up
Reply 3
Feel free to PM me if oil and gas is your thing. I interned with Exxon during the summer last year and I can honestly say that apart from the money, it wasn't special.
Reply 4
Original post by Spher0
Feel free to PM me if oil and gas is your thing. I interned with Exxon during the summer last year and I can honestly say that apart from the money, it wasn't special.

Ok! :smile: thanks
Original post by Spher0

Was that a summer placement or a year long one?

What kinds of tasks/work were you performing as part of your placement?

What tips could you give to those who are currently studying engineering, who would like to secure a placement/internship?
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
Was that a summer placement or a year long one?

What kinds of tasks/work were you performing as part of your placement?

What tips could you give to those who are currently studying engineering, who would like to secure a placement/internship?

Summer placement! So just over 3 months long.

Most of my tasks were related to the previous experience i built during my year in industry at a steam engineering company. So i generating steam trap surveys, energy efficiency reports and looking at plans to retrofit and optimise units for the next plant shutdown. The job role in itself was actually really enjoyable, and fantastic experience.

Tips? I'll list a few below, these are especially true for people looking to break into oil and gas.
- Don't take rejections personally. Vast majority of these companies won't even look at your CV before rejecting you. You'd be surprised at the amount of positions that get filled through connections and linkedin.
- On the topic of Linkedin, make an account, contact alumni from your university. I got some fantastic experience by doing this.
- Practice the online tests used by employers.
- Try and end up with a 1'st. The graduate scheme that i'm currently enrolled in only interviewed people predicted a 1'st class degree. Why? Because there's still so many engineering grads getting firsts it serves as an easy soft cutoff .
- The reality is that there's sadly more high quality engineering graduates than jobs. This is especially true for Chemical engineering grads, who often admit to choosing the speciality for it's promise of higher salaries and quick career advancement. Whilst that was true pre-oil crash, it most certainly isn't true now.

I think that's about the drift of it. I've tried to be as honest as i can. I've seen a fair bit of misinformation on TSR in the past, mostly because the vast number of people that provide information haven't actually even reached university yet.
Original post by Spher0
Summer placement! So just over 3 months long.

Most of my tasks were related to the previous experience i built during my year in industry at a steam engineering company. So i generating steam trap surveys, energy efficiency reports and looking at plans to retrofit and optimise units for the next plant shutdown. The job role in itself was actually really enjoyable, and fantastic experience.

Tips? I'll list a few below, these are especially true for people looking to break into oil and gas.
- Don't take rejections personally. Vast majority of these companies won't even look at your CV before rejecting you. You'd be surprised at the amount of positions that get filled through connections and linkedin.
- On the topic of Linkedin, make an account, contact alumni from your university. I got some fantastic experience by doing this.
- Practice the online tests used by employers.
- Try and end up with a 1'st. The graduate scheme that i'm currently enrolled in only interviewed people predicted a 1'st class degree. Why? Because there's still so many engineering grads getting firsts it serves as an easy soft cutoff .
- The reality is that there's sadly more high quality engineering graduates than jobs. This is especially true for Chemical engineering grads, who often admit to choosing the speciality for it's promise of higher salaries and quick career advancement. Whilst that was true pre-oil crash, it most certainly isn't true now.

I think that's about the drift of it. I've tried to be as honest as i can. I've seen a fair bit of misinformation on TSR in the past, mostly because the vast number of people that provide information haven't actually even reached university yet.

Thanks for your reply.

I've done placements/internships and I certainly agree with what you are saying. The UCAS applicant numbers show rising numbers of applications for engineering degrees, so engineering students have to do more to stick out.
Reply 8
I had a Skype then too and they said the exact same thing word for word. I thought the interview was fine nothing too difficult, i don't see how I could have gotten rejected based on that for a mere event 😅
Reply 9
I just got an offer today, they did say you would get an email approximately during mid august. you still have hope
An offer to go the event or an interview?
Reply 11
Original post by Bricktop
An offer to go the event or an interview?

ko
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
ko
Huh?
Reply 14
Anyone who has previously been to the EMEC have any advise for it?
Hiya, yesterday i got told that i'm invited to EMEC on the 28th September. Has anyone else got an invitation as well?
Reply 16
Original post by Lissy14
Ok! :smile: thanks

Are you saying you didn't gain experience during the training? Did they give you or anyone you know an offer?
Reply 17
Original post by DJGuerilla
Hiya, yesterday i got told that i'm invited to EMEC on the 28th September. Has anyone else got an invitation as well?

Yes mine is on 12th September
Reply 18
Original post by Epi29
Yes mine is on 12th September

Mines on the 14th
Hi, I am also the 28th :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest