Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice for year 11? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this has probably been posted before but I'm new here so thought I'd make a new thread.

I've just finished year 10 and am going to year 11 and I was wondering if anyone has any advice/revision tips?

I do English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, French and Religious Studies.

My predicted grades are 7-9 for all subjects and I'll soon be applying to sixth form, hopefully to do Biology, Maths and Geography.

I'm the kind of person to get stressed easily so if anyone has any advice it'd be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepzi_Kola)
    Hi, this has probably been posted before but I'm new here so thought I'd make a new thread.

I've just finished year 10 and am going to year 11 and I was wondering if anyone has any advice/revision tips?

I do English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, French and Religious Studies.

My predicted grades are 7-9 for all subjects and I'll soon be applying to sixth form, hopefully to do Biology, Maths and Geography.

I'm the kind of person to get stressed easily so if anyone has any advice it'd be appreciated
    Hello @Pepzi_Kola, a very warm welcome to TSR.

Just a few things I can advise;

• Get organised - get some folders ready, you're going to have a lot of paperwork to store!
    • Start looking at past papers and specifications now - you need to be getting to know the exams
    • Take any opportunities of free tutoring after school and catch up sessions, especially in English and Maths
    • Have a revision plan - should be active just after Christmas. Do what works for you - I only plan a week in advance, others plan for months in advance
    • Subscribe to educational channels on YouTube - they really do help
    • Don't revise all night - get some sleep!
    • Keep doing activities like sport to free your mind.
    • Try not to stress too much about 9-1 grades - everyone is in the same boat.

Hope that's useful, anything I can do to help in anyway, just shout.

All the best,
    Nathan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_nshoesmith)
    Hello @Pepzi_Kola, a very warm welcome to TSR.

Just a few things I can advise;

• Get organised - get some folders ready, you're going to have a lot of paperwork to store!
    • Start looking at past papers and specifications now - you need to be getting to know the exams
    • Take any opportunities of free tutoring after school and catch up sessions, especially in English and Maths
    • Have a revision plan - should be active just after Christmas. Do what works for you - I only plan a week in advance, others plan for months in advance
    • Subscribe to educational channels on YouTube - they really do help
    • Don't revise all night - get some sleep!
    • Keep doing activities like sport to free your mind.
    • Try not to stress too much about 9-1 grades - everyone is in the same boat.

Hope that's useful, anything I can do to help in anyway, just shout.

All the best,
    Nathan
    Thank you I've bought a few folders already and looked through the specs briefly this Summer. Quite looking forward to this year, and I'll take your advice, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I've bought a few folders already and looked through the specs briefly this Summer. Quite looking forward to this year, and I'll take your advice, thanks!
    Happy to help. Have a good year, and if you need any help, just shout.

ReputationRep:
    Do past papers in class and then make cue cards and mind-maps at home. I did the opposite and I hardly did the past papers 😐. For past papers it's best to answer everything you can, then go back through and find the answers to the stuff you don't know. That way you'll know how to answer all kinds of questions, which is good because they often recycle them.

ReputationRep:

Smoke as much cannabis as possible, especially before exams. This should help with the stress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocodile_ears)
    Do past papers in class and then make cue cards and mind-maps at home. I did the opposite and I hardly did the past papers 😐. For past papers it's best to answer everything you can, then go back through and find the answers to the stuff you don't know. That way you'll know how to answer all kinds of questions, which is good because they often recycle them.
    Thank you

(Original post by Ollie123x)
    Smoke as much cannabis as possible, especially before exams. This should help with the stress.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Try not to stress right now, you're on holiday! Enjoy the break, Yr11 isn't as horrific as everyone makes it out to be honestly.
    Just remember...
    • Primrose Kitten, Mr Bruff and Free GCSE Science Lessons on YouTube will save you during mocks
    • Don't quit all of your extra-curricular just because of exams, keep it in moderation but keep up all of the things you've enjoyed because honestly you probably won't leave the house much otherwise
    • Keep on top of homework - if you do a homework well enough it usually means when it gets to your exam you barely need to revise that topic
    • Revise for mocks but don't stress too much, use it as an opportunity to learn how you learn so your revision is more effective for the real exams
    • Start properly revising for exams during/after the Feb half term, doing little bits leading up to exams is less stressful for most people than cramming
    • Stay healthy - exercise, eat decent food and drink plenty of water.

Most importantly though, try and stay calm! GCSE's are important and you need to try your hardest but that doesn't mean working 24/7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie1652)
    Try not to stress right now, you're on holiday! Enjoy the break, Yr11 isn't as horrific as everyone makes it out to be honestly.
    Just remember...
    • Primrose Kitten, Mr Bruff and Free GCSE Science Lessons on YouTube will save you during mocks
    • Don't quit all of your extra-curricular just because of exams, keep it in moderation but keep up all of the things you've enjoyed because honestly you probably won't leave the house much otherwise
    • Keep on top of homework - if you do a homework well enough it usually means when it gets to your exam you barely need to revise that topic
    • Revise for mocks but don't stress too much, use it as an opportunity to learn how you learn so your revision is more effective for the real exams
    • Start properly revising for exams during/after the Feb half term, doing little bits leading up to exams is less stressful for most people than cramming
    • Stay healthy - exercise, eat decent food and drink plenty of water.

Most importantly though, try and stay calm! GCSE's are important and you need to try your hardest but that doesn't mean working 24/7
    Thank you so much that's a lot of helpful advice that I'll be sure to take

ReputationRep:
    Hello again,

In additional to my previous post, you may find this thread useful;
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4871068

All the best,
    Nathan

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.