Overrated and underrated A Levels

Watch
Arran90
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Which A Level subjects do you think are overrated or underrated?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Arran90)
None. Different people need to study a different set of subjects to be able to pursue a degree in their chosen field.
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
over or under rated in what way
difficulty, usefulness,popularity?
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What do you mean? How can an A level be 'overrated' or 'underrated'?

An A level is only useful in so far as it allows the student taking it to pursue their degree/career of choice.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
General studies was certainly overrated by my old 6th form.
It was compulsory unfortunately, so we had no choice but to do it as an extra, and the head of 6th form harped on and on over the 2 years about how it was amazing, we would get so far in life by doing it, unis would be falling at our feet to give us offers, employers would be rushing to offer us jobs etc etc.
In fact- quite a few unis dont take it, the ones that do dont really take much notice of it. Employers couldnt care less about it.
In reality its a pile of crap.
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
General studies was certainly overrated by my old 6th form.
It was compulsory unfortunately, so we had no choice but to do it as an extra, and the head of 6th form harped on and on over the 2 years about how it was amazing, we would get so far in life by doing it, unis would be falling at our feet to give us offers, employers would be rushing to offer us jobs etc etc.
In fact- quite a few unis dont take it, the ones that do dont really take much notice of it. Employers couldnt care less about it.
In reality its a pile of crap.
That's why it was scrapped a few years ago. :laugh:
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Cubone-r)
That's why it was scrapped a few years ago. :laugh:
Good.
It needed scrapping.
prostheticzeta
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think business is over rated and sociology is underrated
Arran90
Rep:
?
Underrated: Certain (non-facilitating ??) subjects that are valued for specific degree courses; prepare students well for specific degree courses; can be used to access certain non-degree courses leading to professional careers; or contain useful knowledge for real life and employment.

Overrated: Large numbers of students study the subject but universities don't care less about it and it's also useless for employment; or facilitating subjects that society seems to overvalue but the knowledge they contain really is of dubious utility.
SilverWater
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Geography is so overated. Besides the people who decide to live on the coast who gives a flying f*** about coastal erosion
Arran90
Rep:
?
Are foreign languages overrated? I encountered some information that if you want to be a translator or interpreter as a professional career then A Levels in foreign languages aren't even recognised qualifications and you require some certification.
crosssafley
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They said i would never make it in life with my gender studies degree now look where I am head barista at mcdonalds
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are foreign languages overrated? I encountered some information that if you want to be a translator or interpreter as a professional career then A Levels in foreign languages aren't even recognised qualifications and you require some certification.
You'll generally need an undergraduate degree at least and a postgrad cert. in translation, I believe.

Foreign languages are well respected. A friend of mine took French and Spanish A-Levels and hopefully is going to study languages at Oxford this year with the view of becoming an interpreter/translator.
Arran90
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
You'll generally need an undergraduate degree at least and a postgrad cert. in translation, I believe.

Foreign languages are well respected. A friend of mine took French and Spanish A-Levels and hopefully is going to study languages at Oxford this year with the view of becoming an interpreter/translator.
Are there big differences between becoming a translator or interpreter in a common language - like French and Spanish - and a less common or more exotic language - like Estonian or Vietnamese - where far fewer university level courses exist?
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are there big differences between becoming a translator or interpreter in a common language - like French and Spanish - and a less common or more exotic language - like Estonian or Vietnamese - where far fewer university level courses exist?
I'm not too sure, unfortunately.

Sorry about that.
username1292215
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Overrated - the subjects I don't take

Underrated - the subjects I take

:lol:
Arran90
Rep:
?
(Original post by SilverWater)
Geography is so overated. Besides the people who decide to live on the coast who gives a flying f*** about coastal erosion
This was mentioned at a home education meeting a few years ago. Is geology an underrated A Level?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (18)
30.51%
No - I have already returned home (8)
13.56%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (12)
20.34%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (3)
5.08%
No - I live at home during term anyway (18)
30.51%

Watched Threads