Any advice on preparing for BSc Psychology?

Watch
Matsura
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello all,

So after hitting a few setbacks with my orignal plan to start the BA Education Studies (primary), I've ended up registering for my second option of BSc Psychology, to Start in Oct this year.

I haven't done any study in this field before, but having spoken to the OU earlier this week they did assure me that no preivous knowledge of the subject was required, as the entry modules cover all I will need to know.

But to try and prepare myself a bit more for it, I was wondering if anyone had any good (ideally free & online) resources/links to any basics/overviews in areas of psychology that I should read up on that might help give me more understanding during the opening modules.

The chocie of opening modules is either one of Introducing the social sciences (DD102) or Introduction to childhood studies and child psychology (E102), then Investigating psychology 1 (DE100). I will be picking out my exact path tomorrow, but it's more likely I will pick DD102 as my first module. As although E102 would interest me, and give me the option of expanding on it with E219 later, I feel that from the descriptions DD102 will probably be more benifical for me as a general introduction to the subject.

I think it's most likely I'll be starting part time, so just doing one module in the first year, as I haven't studied at this level before, and I still have to work as well. I would love to do 120 credits in year one as I want to complete this asap, but I think it could be too risky to take too much on, not knowing exactly what to expect.

Any other general advice anyone has for this degree would be great & appreciated!
NatashaH2905
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Matsura)
Hello all,

So after hitting a few setbacks with my orignal plan to start the BA Education Studies (primary), I've ended up registering for my second option of BSc Psychology, to Start in Oct this year.

I haven't done any study in this field before, but having spoken to the OU earlier this week they did assure me that no preivous knowledge of the subject was required, as the entry modules cover all I will need to know.

But to try and prepare myself a bit more for it, I was wondering if anyone had any good (ideally free & online) resources/links to any basics/overviews in areas of psychology that I should read up on that might help give me more understanding during the opening modules.

The chocie of opening modules is either one of Introducing the social sciences (DD102) or Introduction to childhood studies and child psychology (E102), then Investigating psychology 1 (DE100). I will be picking out my exact path tomorrow, but it's more likely I will pick DD102 as my first module. As although E102 would interest me, and give me the option of expanding on it with E219 later, I feel that from the descriptions DD102 will probably be more benifical for me as a general introduction to the subject.

I think it's most likely I'll be starting part time, so just doing one module in the first year, as I haven't studied at this level before, and I still have to work as well. I would love to do 120 credits in year one as I want to complete this asap, but I think it could be too risky to take too much on, not knowing exactly what to expect.

Any other general advice anyone has for this degree would be great & appreciated!

Hi,,

I will be starting this Course in October too... Did you manage to find any sources that can help you?

Maybe we could keep in touch or start a group of other people starting this course in October too, to help and assist each other?
Matsura
Rep:
?
(Original post by NatashaH2905)
Hi,,

I will be starting this Course in October too... Did you manage to find any sources that can help you?

Maybe we could keep in touch or start a group of other people starting this course in October too, to help and assist each other?
Great to hear you'll be starting it too. I haven't really heard back from anyone with regards to useful resources that I should be looking at.

All I've found so far is that in the "OU Orientation" part of the Student Home section on the OU, there is a "Psychology Resources" tab, which does have a few links in it, but I've not yet had a chance to check them out. At a glance though the links don't seem to be to any specific articles.

Other than that I've found this Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/160346417459429/) for the course. Though haven't joined it yet.

Hopefully the forum for the module on the OU's site will be quite active when it opens.

I'll drop you a PM with my email to keep in touch.
funny_h0w
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey! I am also studying BSc Psychology. Would love to chat with different people who are in the same boat. Drop me a PM if you want. :-).
-Eirlys-
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Matsura)
Hello all,

I'm starting this October in Psychology too! You can start the second module in Feb 2018 if you like; I might be doing that. You would only do full time study for 3-4 months, rather than 8 months. But you don't get a summer break and would start the next module in Oct 2018.

I'd recommend joining the unofficial OU FB group. Full of new students as well as graduates and I think employees of OU, who like to help each other out. They can give you tips!
Matsura
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannxm)
I'm starting this October in Psychology too! You can start the second module in Feb 2018 if you like; I might be doing that. You would only do full time study for 3-4 months, rather than 8 months. But you don't get a summer break and would start the next module in Oct 2018.

I'd recommend joining the unofficial OU FB group. Full of new students as well as graduates and I think employees of OU, who like to help each other out. They can give you tips!
Great to hear!

That's intersting, I didn't realise there would be the option to pick up the second module in Feb 2018, I just assumed I'd have to wait till Oct 2018. If I'm getting on ok with the first module, and finding the workload ok, then I might be tempted to do that! I'm just not too sure how well I'd handle two overlapping modules though, especially as I haven't studied this subject before.

Thanks for the link to the Facebook group, will make sure to join up! I'm not a big fan of Facebook, but it seems like it's going the be the best place to get to know everyone and keep in touch during the course
jackgriffi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hannxm)

I'm also going to be starting to study Psychology in October and this was the exact plan I was hoping to follow! (Depending on how the workload is)

I didn't know about that Facebook group, so thank you!
Val129
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm studying Psychology too in October and I've chosen E102 first. I'm planning to do one module as I work full time. My book arrived today - so exciting!

I looked at the OU orientation section online and there's lots of advice and tips on how to study. I'm a bit nervous about how to fit all the study in to be honest
katy.earley
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi! I'm starting Psychology in October and planning to do one module at a time due to working full time. I've chosen Childhood Studies and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in - anyone else starting with E102 that wants to keep in touch?
username3433134
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone knew if the BSc Psychology is exempt from the ELQ rules? On the OU website it says that degree holders can gan access to student finance for Psychology but was wondering if this was a mistake as I can't find that info anywhere else.
Is anyone else applying to the OU P course as a degree holder? - would love to hear from you!
morganville89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PerhapsPhysio)
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone knew if the BSc Psychology is exempt from the ELQ rules? On the OU website it says that degree holders can gan access to student finance for Psychology but was wondering if this was a mistake as I can't find that info anywhere else.
Is anyone else applying to the OU P course as a degree holder? - would love to hear from you!
I have a BA (hons) degree and I applied last week, when I found out Psychology was on the list. Have you managed to find out if is right? It will be another 5 weeks or so until I know if my application for student finance is approved or not.
Matsura
Rep:
?
(Original post by katy.earley)
Hi! I'm starting Psychology in October and planning to do one module at a time due to working full time. I've chosen Childhood Studies and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in - anyone else starting with E102 that wants to keep in touch?
In the end I decided to start with DD102, so I'll be starting that in October. Then if all is going well I might see if I can start DE100 in Feb. Part of me is wishing I'd picked E102 though, as without it that probably means I won't be able to choose E219 in stage 2 (or it would be insanely hard for me if I did choose it without having done E102 first).

For DD102 there's a Facebook group setup that's quite active, so it might be worth you seeing if there's also one for E102
bekkaa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am still waiting for my finance to clear, I have decided to do 120 Credits this is my first year I am doing DE100 and DD102. I received an email from OU just saying that they are very busy but my application is in process, I am just worried because I know it is going to be a lot of work and I wanted to start at soon as possible studying and I think i will receive my books just before the formal start date , I was just wondering who else is studying the same modules ? Also is there anything I could start reading before my books come to almost prepare my self, Has anybody studied these 2 modules and have any tips with how to cope with doing 2 modules ? ( I have not studied for about 5 years and a little nervous about starting studying even though I am extremely excited) I also live in Dunfermline ( Fife) Anybody close by, hoping to make a few study buddies
funny_h0w
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bekkaa)
I am still waiting for my finance to clear, I have decided to do 120 Credits this is my first year I am doing DE100 and DD102. I received an email from OU just saying that they are very busy but my application is in process, I am just worried because I know it is going to be a lot of work and I wanted to start at soon as possible studying and I think i will receive my books just before the formal start date , I was just wondering who else is studying the same modules ? Also is there anything I could start reading before my books come to almost prepare my self, Has anybody studied these 2 modules and have any tips with how to cope with doing 2 modules ? ( I have not studied for about 5 years and a little nervous about starting studying even though I am extremely excited) I also live in Dunfermline ( Fife) Anybody close by, hoping to make a few study buddies
I'm not nearby by I am studying those two modules. All I can say is that I have read the books/chapters needed for the first TMA but it is not necessary as it doesn't open until October. If you have access to the Modile sites when they open tomorrow I believe you get online versions of the books (but I may be wrong). However, there will be videos and audio material so you can start studying if you so wish. There are Facebook and Whatsapp groups to help people going full-time.

PM if you want the details of the Whatsapp group. 👍🏻
username3433134
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by morganville89)
I have a BA (hons) degree and I applied last week, when I found out Psychology was on the list. Have you managed to find out if is right? It will be another 5 weeks or so until I know if my application for student finance is approved or not.
Hiya, I applied just the start of this week so I don't know I'm afraid It is on the list so hopefully it'll be all fine! I was quite silly and applied for October start but I don't know if Student Finance will respond in time?? I'll keep your username on hand - please do update me if you have any updates! I'll do the same
..Amy...
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am also starting Bsc Psychology I will be doing 120 credits a year. The modules I will be doing are DD102 and DE100. Possibly going to work part time but want to find out how intense it may be first. Hoping to meet people in the same boat
username3433134
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey- have you heard anything? Turns out I now have to wait until Jan to start the above discussed modules which I wasn't expecting...
morganville89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PerhapsPhysio)
Hey- have you heard anything? Turns out I now have to wait until Jan to start the above discussed modules which I wasn't expecting...
Hi, yes it has been approved. I am starting in January as well, it was too late for me to apply for October start.
jadedanby
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, yes it has been approved. I am starting in January as well, it was too late for me to apply for October start.
So relieved to find this. I have also applied for second degree funding to start in the new year but was told on the phone by student finance I wouldn't be eligible. My application has been with them for 4 weeks now so hopefully I'll get my confirmation soon!

Did either of you apply for credit transfer from your first degrees? And if so, were you granted any?

I'm so eager to be approved and get started!
username3433134
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jadedanby)
So relieved to find this. I have also applied for second degree funding to start in the new year but was told on the phone by student finance I wouldn't be eligible. My application has been with them for 4 weeks now so hopefully I'll get my confirmation soon!

Did either of you apply for credit transfer from your first degrees? And if so, were you granted any?

I'm so eager to be approved and get started!
Right? & in all honesty I've learned to just not listen to what anyone from SF has to say... one told me to scrap my application all together to get full time funding, another told me I couldn't get anything etc.

I just filled out the application and the information on the OU website regarding exception courses is right - you will get tuition fee loans (NOT maintenance) for a second degree if its on that list aka BSc Psychology wooo! It took SF around 5 weeks to post the confirmation so hopefully you'll find out soon!

I'm currently in the process of getting transcripts from my previous degree to apply for credit transfer. No idea what might happen but its worth a try if it'll get the course done a little quicker! Do you mind my asking what you previously studied? I studied Geography but took a lot of sociological and cultural centred modules as part of that so I'm hoping to at least get first year knocked off! From what I've read theres no logical reason why anyone who previously studied a social science/humanities degree needs to take the investigating Psychology first year module as, obviously, we've already done research/dissertations etc.!

Definitely babbled. Apologies. I'm just so eager to get going too!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
16.04%
I'm not sure (8)
2.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.13%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.37%
I'm not a current university student (134)
45.73%

Watched Threads