Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Does anyone else find the idea of dating strange? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the whole idea of going on dates to get to know someone.
    There's no friendship and therefore no foundation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catsarefamily)
    I completely agree with you. Dates are artificial; you are trying to present yourself in a way to essentially not disgust the other person, which may not be true to who you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    I completely agree with you. Dates are artificial; you are trying to present yourself in a way to essentially not disgust the other person, which may not be true to who you are.
    I can understand what you're saying.
    What I don't understand is what's wrong with being friends first and if you two have feelings for each other you ask each other to be in a romanitc relationship with each other then you can go on dates.
    I don't understand why people go on dates when they're not friends with the person,

Don't forget that people can ghost you too...

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it either tbh...
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Some people are only compatible in a romantic way though. Some people are only compatible to be friends. Thats why it exists. Anyway, you may end up friends with a person you date if you decide not to take it further.

ReputationRep:
    You go out, you demonstrate rich you are, she gets wet, you have sex. What is strange about that?

ReputationRep:
    I can understand what you're saying.
    What I don't understand is what's wrong with being friends first and if you two have feelings for each other you ask each other to be in a romanitc relationship with each other then you can go on dates.
    I don't understand why people go on dates when they're not friends with the person,

Don't forget that people can ghost you too...
    There's nothing wrong with being friends and then developing a romantic relationship.

You have to remember that the reason why people date others without knowing them first is probably because they lack certain social skills to develop friendships first and thus seek out dates instead.

Most relationships I know of, the couples were friends first. I think dating someone you don't know first is quite uncommon. Dating after you've been friends for a while is different, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiskey&Freedom)
    You go out, you demonstrate rich you are, she gets wet, you have sex. What is strange about that?
    Wanting to go out with someone for sex is strange...
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wanting to go out with someone for sex is strange...
    I dont do it but Its not 'strange' though is it?

I have a funny feeling youre under 18 for some reason
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    There's nothing wrong with being friends and then developing a romantic relationship.

You have to remember that the reason why people date others without knowing them first is probably because they lack certain social skills to develop friendships first and thus seek out dates instead.

Most relationships I know of, the couples were friends first. I think dating someone you don't know first is quite uncommon. Dating after you've been friends for a while is different, however.
    Not true. In fact it requires more social skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    I dont do it but Its not 'strange' though is it?

I have a funny feeling youre under 18 for some reason
    Yes, it is strange, it makes me feel uncomfortable.
    I'm 24.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is strange, it makes me feel uncomfortable.
    I'm 24.
    Its not strange as it isnt uncommon or abnormal .

Other people doing it makes you feel uncomfortable? :confused:

Are you religious by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    Not true. In fact it requires more social skills.
    I'd argue differently, but each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    Its not strange as it isnt uncommon or abnormal .

Other people doing it makes you feel uncomfortable? :confused:

Are you religious by any chance?
    Yes, thinking about it does, also being told about it does as well. If I had a girlfriend and she agreed with or even worse done it I would leave her..

No, I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    See, this is why I don't get it when guys complain so much about the 'friendzone'. If people knew how to use it correctly to their advantage to get closer to the other person, there'd be less hatred towards it. Friendzone ftw
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yes, thinking about it does, also being told about it does as well. If I had a girlfriend and she agreed with or even worse done it I would leave her..

No, I'm not.
    Each to their own

(Original post by ImagineCats)
    See, this is why I don't get it when guys complain so much about the 'friendzone'. If people knew how to use it correctly to their advantage to get closer to the other person, there'd be less hatred towards it. Friendzone ftw
    i dont get why some guys use the 'friedzone' thing. I mean she just doesnt like you. They'd never say theyve 'friendzoned' a girl. Theyd say they dont like them.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    i dont get why some guys use the 'friedzone' thing. I mean she just doesnt like you. They'd never say theyve 'friendzoned' a girl. Theyd say they dont like them.
    Because they think that being friends is a ticket for a girl to start liking them. Then they complain about how girls don't like 'nice guys' and blah blah blah.. most of the time they're actually not 'nice'.

ReputationRep:
    Every girls different ofc, but I personally befriend guys before making a move/suggesting something. If someone I barely know asks me out then I just won't take them seriously bc I barely know anything about them, and I won't feel comfortable around them unless I can say we're definitely friends. As you said, each to their own though
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Because they think that being friends is a ticket for a girl to start liking them. Then they complain about how girls don't like 'nice guys' and blah blah blah.. most of the time they're actually not 'nice'.
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    Every girls different ofc, but I personally befriend guys before making a move/suggesting something. If someone I barely know asks me out then I just won't take them seriously bc I barely know anything about them, and I won't feel comfortable around them unless I can say we're definitely friends. As you said, each to their own though
    I do agree with both you. My ex and i were friends first I guess I'm happy doing it both ways

ReputationRep:
    I agree.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: August 14, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your GCSE results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.