Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sometimes I just think... what's the point? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I love studying, and have profound ambitions and careers that I would love to pursue, but a part of me is just thinking: "Why not just work in fast food for the rest of your life? It doesn't seem that bad. Pay isn't the best, but free food, right? I don't even have to try at all in school! No GCSEs... no A-levels... no degree...". I think about how good I am with money, and how it would be easy living on minimum wage, as long as I lived alone (which I am completely fine with). Does anyone else think that the effort isn't worth the ultimate result at the end? Maybe I'm crazy, I don't know. I would love to hear your opinions on this.

Why does a gif work for everyone but me?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nothing in life is worth it in the end. Because we die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeux)
    I love studying, and have profound ambitions and careers that I would love to pursue, but a part of me is just thinking: "Why not just work in fast food for the rest of your life? It doesn't seem that bad. Pay isn't the best, but free food, right? I don't even have to try at all in school! No GCSEs... no A-levels... no degree...". I think about how good I am with money, and how it would be easy living on minimum wage, as long as I lived alone (which I am completely fine with). Does anyone else think that the effort isn't worth the ultimate result at the end? Maybe I'm crazy, I don't know. I would love to hear your opinions on this.
    Have you ever worked a minimum wage job?

You might be able to survive on minimum wage, but you wouldn't be able to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    Have you ever worked a minimum wage job?

You might be able to survive on minimum wage, but you wouldn't be able to live.
    I am a man of minimal needs, but nonetheless nice words! :closedeyes:

(Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Nothing in life is worth it in the end. Because we die.

Haha, very true I suppose. :giggle:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeux)
    I am a man of minimal needs, but nonetheless nice words! :closedeyes:

Haha, very true I suppose. :giggle:
    How is your avatar a gif bro? I want to make mine one too

ReputationRep:
    How is your avatar a gif bro? I want to make mine one too
    What I did was go on Google Images, search "gif" and went to 'Tools' and changed 'Size' to exactly 100 x 100. I looked through until I found a nice one, saved it and made it my avatar. However, you have the find the right one though, because some didn't work for me for some reason!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeux)
    I get existential crisises all the time. Whats the point in doing anything if we are going to die... what the point in getting a job... whats the point of marrying... having a family... if we are all going to die out soon

ReputationRep:
    In the grand scheme of things, as you're dying and have those last few seconds to reflect upon many moments upon your life, I imagine you would feel happier dying that you did things in your life that you were proud of and enjoyed as opposed to never challenging yourself to get as much out of this 1 lifetime as possible.

If you are interested, you should look into Absurdism as it does approach the whole issue of 'what's the point in trying if it's all going to be in vain'. The point, essentially, is that despite that you should not simply give up, but try to come to terms with the inherent absurdity of life and enjoy it.

Spoiler:
    Show

One prominent story related to Absurdism is the Myth of Sisyphus in which Sisyphus must, as a punishment, roll a boulder up a hill, but everytime he does it rolls right back down to the bottom again. Camus' commentary on this ends by saying "one must imagine Sisyphus happy".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilDanthropist)
    I get existential crisises all the time. Whats the point in doing anything if we are going to die... what the point in getting a job... whats the point of marrying... having a family... if we are all going to die out soon
    Well, I mean I can't blame you if you watch Dan and Phil :giggle:! I don't see interest in a lot of things that people may find riveting... such as marriage and having kids. It just doesn't interest me!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeux)
    What I did was go on Google Images, search "gif" and went to 'Tools' and changed 'Size' to exactly 100 x 100. I looked through until I found a nice one, saved it and made it my avatar. However, you have the find the right one though, because some didn't work for me for some reason!
    Are you on Pc or tablet/phone?

ReputationRep:
    if the end point is to die, then you don't need to live...you just need to survive...

ReputationRep:
    Are you on Pc or tablet/phone?
    PC -> is there a TSR app?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeux)
    PC -> is there a TSR app?
    Yeah there is. You can still use it on tablet/phone without the app though. Aka through safari, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeux)
    Well, I mean I can't blame you if you watch Dan and Phil :giggle:! I don't see interest in a lot of things that people may find riveting... such as marriage and having kids. It just doesn't interest me!
    Lol... yh i agree with you... i just dont see the point coz we are all going to die... whats the point in getting a job that pays well... when you die all the wealth and respect goes away

ReputationRep:
    "I want to represent the idea that you really can make what you want, I just believe that, I just believe that you can create what you want to create"

It breaks my heart OP to see you thinking like this, in the UK as youth we are in a position where we can chase our dreams. Make the most of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    "I want to represent the idea that you really can make what you want, I just believe that, I just believe that you can create what you want to create"

It breaks my heart OP to see you thinking like this, in the UK as youth we are in a position where we can chase our dreams. Make the most of it
    It's more intrusive thoughts, rather than thoughts I will act upon.

ReputationRep:
    I am not a materialistic person, and I place more weight on experiences than objects. My favourite thing is travel. You can't live and do much in the way of travel on minimum wage. So for me if you want to enjoy your life, (and for whatever reason we are here, you may as well) a bit if extra money will help you do that.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should get a job at McDonalds or somewhere similar. You will most likely snap out of this mindset very fast.

ReputationRep:
    There's more to life than just going to work and surviving on bare minimum. For me, I like to think that a good job gives me the opportunity to do stuff like travel, and buying stuff that you generally wouldn't be able to afford on a low-paying jobs. That's why I put the effort in, and why I spend so much time revising and making myself better.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.