NoLife123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hey guys my alevel grades are A*AAB should i apply with A*AA only and not mention the B or should I apply with A*AAB ? Im worried , and can you tell if i am good in general or not : ( ?

p.s. all my igcse and olevel grades are stars.

edit:- i got A* in biology, A in physics, A in maths, B in computer science
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NoLife123)
hey guys my alevel grades are A*AAB should i apply with A*AA only and not mention the B or should I apply with A*AAB ? Im worried , and can you tell if i am good in general or not : ( ?

You must declare all of your A level grades in your university application, otherwise if you are found out to have not declared all of your grades it can result in the withdrawal of university offers.

You don't need to seek validation from TSR users. You are as good as you think you are.
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Imo A*AAB is better than A*AA well done!
username2393237
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
O level? Where are you from?
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A*AAB>A*AA but A*A*A>A*AAB
CinnamonSmol
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
a B is pretty good you don't have anything to be ashamed of! Especially since you've achieved such high grades despite taking 4 a-levels, well done
Einsteinium*
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

It depends on the subject that the B is in, and what the A* is in - as well as what course you are applying for. For example, if you did Photography, Maths, Further Maths and Sociology, it would look fairly impressive if it was:

Maths = A*
Photography = A
Sociology = A
Further Maths = B

Where as, it wouldn't be so impressive if you got:

Photography = A*
Sociology = A
Further Maths = A
Maths = B

Probably not the best example with Further Maths but hopefully you see my point.
Tuffyandtab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
O level? Where are you from?
the 1960s I guess!
NoLife123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Einsteinium*)
It depends on the subject that the B is in, and what the A* is in - as well as what course you are applying for. For example, if you did Photography, Maths, Further Maths and Sociology, it would look fairly impressive if it was:

Maths = A*
Photography = A
Sociology = A
Further Maths = B

Where as, it wouldn't be so impressive if you got:

Photography = A*
Sociology = A
Further Maths = A
Maths = B

Probably not the best example with Further Maths but hopefully you see my point.

A* In biology
A in maths
A in physics
B in computer science

, so ?? xD
NoLife123
Rep:
?
(Original post by black1blade)
A*AAB>A*AA but A*A*A>A*AAB
yea xD but i only have 1 star unfortunately
Einsteinium*
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A* In biology
A in maths
A in physics
B in computer science

, so ?? xD
I think those are good grades. Computer science isn't even a requirement for most compsci or related courses anyway, at least to my knowledge. As you got the A/A* grades in facilitating subjects, those grades are great, so well done
username2393237
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tuffyandtab)
the 1960s I guess!
Haha! I think they still do them in other countries, but I'm not sure
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yea xD but i only have 1 star unfortunately
Well 1 star and 2 As in those subjects qualifies you for every compsci course in the country bar Cambridge and imperial.
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
4 A levels are, for the vast majority of course, one too many. However, A*AA is obviously not as 'good' as A*AAB
Didn't you do 4? and possibly more if I rightly remember
Loopy91
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't they only consider the best three A Levels?
So basically A*AAB is basically the same as A*AA because the B is irrelevant as it's the 4th A Level.
rosie.mn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In my opinion A*AAB is better than A*AA because you still managed to get A*AA with another a level which you didn't necessarily do badly. Yes you could have got a higher grade if you didn't do the 4th, but you might not have done. Who knows. You have to declare all grades, but, chances are if you apply to a course which has requirements of A*AA or lower, you'll most likely get accepted regardless of the B because you achieved these grades.
PBoutcher
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not necessarily, and this is the issue. If you take 3, it's a standard set, and you will receive a standard offer on those 3. If you take 4, you will often still receive a standard offer on 3 (sometimes with named subjects). However, if the AT has a doubt as to your ability, or would like some reassurance, they are within their rights to make you an offer on four A levels. Thus, by taking 4, you are somewhat in a worse position that if you'd taken three and received a standard offer.
Interestingly this is something that happened to my daughter this past year. She had three A levels at BBD (hated that third subject). So this year she did one retake to upgrade a B to an A, took a two year course in one, took an AS level and a language at gcse. Quite a mix! Her firm choice didn't reply to her application until May (she received her backup offer back in December) and wanted a double A in the subject she was doing two years in one. :cry2:
She's given it her all but is naturally anxious since it's a subject she'd never done before starting it back in September. A big ask late in the day.
PBoutcher
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep - absolutely. It's a good example of how trying to do the right thing can end up with you putting yourself in a position!

Best of luck to your daughter - she must be beside herself!
She is rather. Busy geocache-ing right now, lol. Seems like she's the only one aiming to leave the county from her college. It means so much to her to get in and achieve her ambitions. As I'm sure it does for many.
PBoutcher
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, absolutely. And it sounds like she's worked bloody hard for it as well. Best of luck to you all - do post back and tell us if she gets in, won't you?
Will do. All fingers and toes crossed.
username3434964
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The 1960's called they want their exams back
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads