Are video games now a reliable indicator of the true strength of languages?

Watch
Arran90
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Some linguists argue that the true strength of a language is not the number of people who know the language or the number of countries it is used in but the amount of literature in that language. This explains why Latin and Ancient Greek are not dead languages and they continue to be studied today despite very few people using them as languages of communication. The literature of a language has expanded over the decades from classics and fiction; to factual material in a diverse range of subjects; scientific and research papers; and films and television programmes. One of the most recent categories of literature are video games.

Could video games now be a reliable indicator of the true strength of languages? Take into account that it's common for linguistic elements of a user interface to be added into software by people specifically assigned for the task rather than the main programmers, and that software with a user interface in a particular language does not necessarily have to be produced in a country that uses that language. How many video games are there in Bengali, Latvian, Welsh, Danish, Uzbek, or Somali?

It is a strange thought that millions of kids worldwide have to learn another language (such as English or Japanese) even for something as simple and innocuous as playing a video game.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.93%
I'm not sure (16)
3.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.48%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.38%

Watched Threads