Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is A level chemistry like? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How hard was it to you out of 10? Was it harder than other subjects to adapt to? How can I prepare? Was it scary to begin with?

ReputationRep:
    i would give the exams an 8/10 so yeah pretty hard
    prepare by practicing Q's watching vids etc
    Not that scary if you get your head down

ReputationRep:
    I guess it was 7 out of 10 for me. The main thing in chemistry (actually all science subjects) is to understand different concepts, not only memorising what's written in a book. For revision I just did lots of past papers and question by topics, which helped me a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that I couldn't rate it out of 10 for difficulty because it's all about how you find all the different modules/parts of chemistry. There were definitely areas where I struggled A LOT but then there were also parts that came pretty easy to me, so just remember your strengths and don't get disheartened by not instantly understanding something.
    Your second question is also kind of linked to how you as an individual learn and respond to all the material. Initially it was a little tricky for me given how I did double award science instead of triple science at GCSE but eventually I caught up to my peers who had done the extra modules at GCSE.
    As far as preparation goes, I'd say keep your practice up. Even if you're just looking over old material/doing old questions or papers, the practice helps. If you can cement your basic knowledge of the subject, it makes learning new stuff that's based on those basic concepts much easier.
    Honestly A levels are scary as anything. They're a big step up from anything you've done before and it can be overwhelming but you've just got to keep at it and not let everything pile up on you. Remember there will be loads of people to help you out and it's best to speak out as soon as possible when you start to struggle because then you don't have to deal with a load of catching up.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I did OCR B Salters Chemistry AS this year and the papers were pretty easy imo. For me, it is wayyyyy easier than physics. The calculations were simple, but the only thing that I found challenging was remembering all of the reagents and conditions for all of the reactions.

ReputationRep:
    To prepare for AS Chemistry, go through all of the GCSE content and make a few notes. Youtube videos and making notes is the most enjoyable way of revising/learning. I always learn the stuff for the upcoming lesson b4 the lesson starts so it feels more like a revision session. It isn't that scary at first if you know and understand the foundations of chemistry from GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    I did OCR B Salters and used to find it quite difficult to keep up with lessons. I decided to start reading the textbook pages for the lessons in advance and this helped me a lot. I would recommend reading the textbook pages on each lesson in advance because a lot of the theory and background info can be self taught and isn't that hard, but can be difficult to learn properly when you're relying solely on the teacher's powerpoint. Know the topic in advance, and use the lessons as consolidation and for practical application.

Same goes for practicals - I used to be really reliant on other students in first year, until I started to do my own reading. Read and understand the practical methods as soon as you're given them in class. Make sure you understand the purpose of the experiment and why you're doing it, not just "we add X solution to Y and then stir and it turns red"

I enjoyed Chemistry a lot once I learnt to become independent and read in advance. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    I did OCR B Salters and used to find it quite difficult to keep up with lessons. I decided to start reading the textbook pages for the lessons in advance and this helped me a lot. I would recommend reading the textbook pages on each lesson in advance because a lot of the theory and background info can be self taught and isn't that hard, but can be difficult to learn properly when you're relying solely on the teacher's powerpoint. Know the topic in advance, and use the lessons as consolidation and for practical application.

Same goes for practicals - I used to be really reliant on other students in first year, until I started to do my own reading. Read and understand the practical methods as soon as you're given them in class. Make sure you understand the purpose of the experiment and why you're doing it, not just "we add X solution to Y and then stir and it turns red"

I enjoyed Chemistry a lot once I learnt to become independent and read in advance. Good luck!
    This Studygeekscience!!!

The "knowing why" part is very important, especially for sciences!! There are a lot of patterns, trends and reactions in chemistry, and it's better to know why they exist than to mindlessly learn them, which was why some people in my class found A2 hard. It'll give you less to remember overall and therefore (hopefully) make the A Level more enjoyable

Get a CGP student book and start learning now! Happy chemistry-ing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *TomTomSatNav*)
    I did OCR B Salters Chemistry AS this year and the papers were pretty easy imo. For me, it is wayyyyy easier than physics. The calculations were simple, but the only thing that I found challenging was remembering all of the reagents and conditions for all of the reactions.
    I agree that those exams were super straight forward but last years was horrible. That said really didn't have margin for error in calculations). Physics is harder though definitely.

ReputationRep:
    hard af

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studygeekscience)
    How hard was it to you out of 10? Was it harder than other subjects to adapt to? How can I prepare? Was it scary to begin with?
    I'd say it is a 6, I personally find it hard, but I am definitely not a natural in chemistry, and also Im not particularly strong in maths. You will be fine if you keep on revising throughout the year, and keep doing past papers, looking at the mark schemes and examiners reports to find model answers, and to gain an insight into the type of questions they will ask you.
    Personally I don't find the actual theory and concepts, its just the exam questions that throw me, but Im sure you will be fine
    -Oh I do AQA btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)

This is such good advice thank you! I will definitely do the read over of the next days lesson as I didn't do this at gcse and regretted it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgiadelargy)
    I'd say it is a 6, I personally find it hard, but I am definitely not a natural in chemistry, and also Im not particularly strong in maths. You will be fine if you keep on revising throughout the year, and keep doing past papers, looking at the mark schemes and examiners reports to find model answers, and to gain an insight into the type of questions they will ask you.
    Personally I don't find the actual theory and concepts, its just the exam questions that throw me, but Im sure you will be fine
    -Oh I do AQA btw
    I'm exactly the same, wasn't predicted above a C until yr11 when I finally got it. I just hope that my love for the subject (and actually wanting to revise it) will carry me through

ReputationRep:
    probably 6-7/10, its not difficult if you get into it and truly understand CONCEPTS and how certain things link together, I was about to drop chemistry after only getting a C in O-Level chemistry and it ended up becoming my favorite subject at the end of AS and I just got an A in my result for A-level (CIE), pastpapers and textbook study everyday are a must

ReputationRep:
    I did OCR Chemistry and I found it an exact 50/50 split difficulty wise. I love organic chemistry so I flew through that, but inorganic chemistry I found really tough for most of the year. I think for chemistry, you can do well as long as you keep up with the work - always revise the topic when you get to the end. My teachers made us do tests at the end of every topic, which really was the only reason I did well ass I had to always be revising and looking over the stuff. If you don't have teachers like that you'll have to do that yourself.

Exam wise, it is probably the hardest exam I did at Alevel (maths and biology were my others). Mainly because the mark scheme is so specfic and also the new exams are much tougher! Only do Alevel chemistry if your GCSE result was at least a B (preferably an A) bc in my year group the divide between people who got As at GCSE and those who didn't was massive in terms of grades achieved throughout the year.

Saying all that, even though it is a difficult subject, I loved chemistry all year and it was/is my favourite subject.

ReputationRep:
    Hell

ReputationRep:
    Evil/10

ReputationRep:
    2/10.

If you work hard it's really not bad at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'd give it about a 4. It's like Maths if you treat it like it should be treated, conceptually. Many people try to memorise material like in Biology and find it difficult. Chemistry is as much a conceptualised subject as Physics is.

Don't memorise, understand. That's the trick with really Maths and Science A levels.

If you reach university-level Chemistry though, I would describe the experience as similar to Bilbo Baggins walking out of the safety of the Shire and into the Misty Mountains...

Looking back, A level Chemistry really was so easy compared to University.

I was a simple hobbit back then. Now It's like being Gandalf.

ReputationRep:
    its unpredictable as **** i was getting a's and a few a*'s in the year but i got a b overall. Some other people got b's c's and some d's but they still got an a. Its the end result at the end...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.