Woman punches man in face for boys getting better A Levels

Watch
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago

According to the TES, the move back towards more exam testing and less coursework testing is likely to benefit boys more than girls (as the move the other way resulted in girls outperforming boys). I'd agree with ensuring our education system didn't leave boys (or girls) behind as it is obvious that the prime factor in the discrepancy is the teaching (more female teachers who then are more understanding of female students' learning) and testing (designing assessments to test certain things with various different weightings). Other discrepancies by race/culture and wealth clearly are in a large part due to race/culture and wealth so I'm less inclined to push our education system to make questions/tasks that rich Asian kids will get wrong but poor black kids will get right. Not to say these aren't issues that education can't do anything about, but they are far larger than education alone.

Regarding the thread title, is the picture in the article really appropriate for leading such news? If there comes a time when boys outperform girls at A Level, would you expect to see the reverse? Also, does anyone think it's normal to have an education system that gives a girl twin better results than her brother?
username2896864
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nice clickbait
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I went to a college situated in the only town in the UK where boys out performed girls at A level.
username3071756
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ThomH97)

According to the TES, the move back towards more exam testing and less coursework testing is likely to benefit boys more than girls (as the move the other way resulted in girls outperforming boys). I'd agree with ensuring our education system didn't leave boys (or girls) behind as it is obvious that the prime factor in the discrepancy is the teaching (more female teachers who then are more understanding of female students' learning) and testing (designing assessments to test certain things with various different weightings). Other discrepancies by race/culture and wealth clearly are in a large part due to race/culture and wealth so I'm less inclined to push our education system to make questions/tasks that rich Asian kids will get wrong but poor black kids will get right. Not to say these aren't issues that education can't do anything about, but they are far larger than education alone.

Regarding the thread title, is the picture in the article really appropriate for leading such news? If there comes a time when boys outperform girls at A Level, would you expect to see the reverse? Also, does anyone think it's normal to have an education system that gives a girl twin better results than her brother?
The real question was the punch effective ? Did the man have to go hospital? Sue the woman for physical aggression ?
bobby147
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why does society say guys are not allowed to hit girls ,even if it is in self defence ?
username2053059
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bobby147)
Why does society say guys are not allowed to hit girls ,even if it is in self defence ?
Because guys are stronger? :dontknow: I'd still agree with hitting a woman in self defence provided it's not overkill.
WiseLeo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
Note the silence of the TSR alt-right about this.

If the sexist Google memo man's argument was right, then you'd expect more girls to get good grades than boys, simply because A-levels are heavily optimised for average people, and the effects of more boys in the very lowest ability groups outweigh the more boys in the very highest ability groups (the ability gap between a D and a C is far smaller than the ability gap between an A and an A*).

If boys start getting better A-levels than girls, then it either means that A-levels are getting easier for the very lowest ability groups, or the Google memo man was wrong (what a shock that would be!).
Sorry if this is wrong but am I wrong in understanding that actually amongst high achieving students boys actually outperform girls?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (94)
38.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.41%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.46%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7%

Watched Threads