Difference between Regular and private candidates

Watch
mobeen25
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi I am from Pakistan and I am considering to study Alevels as a private candidate as I took IGCSE as a regular candidate. Does universities discourage private candidates and prefer regular over private candidates?
username3057334
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobeen25)
Hi I am from Pakistan and I am considering to study Alevels as a private candidate as I took IGCSE as a regular candidate. Does universities discourage private candidates and prefer regular over private candidates?
In general, the top unis tend to prefer private schooled candidates, with the lower rank unis preferring public schooled candidates - this does vary though. There is usually no preference by unis for private candidates over schooled candidates. If your academic achievements are great enough and you have the references, it shouldn't make a difference.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the_nshoesmith)
In general, the top unis tend to prefer private candidates, with the lower rank unis preferring public candidates - this does vary though. If your academic achievements are great enough, it shouldn't make a difference.
Where did you get that from?
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As long as you can get a referee for your ucas application it wont make a difference

username3057334
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Where did you get that from?
Some fairly simple research.
In general, as long as the Uni like you and you have the grades, it shouldn't make a difference either way.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the_nshoesmith)
Some fairly simple research.
In general, as long as the Uni like you and you have the grades, it shouldn't make a difference either way.
Where? I've never heard of any university saying they prefer a private candidate over a public candidate.
username3057334
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Where? I've never heard of any university saying they prefer a private candidate over a public candidate.
Ah, my apologies, I slightly misread the original question. I'll correct this now.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not at all. I'e known plenty of students who studied their A levels privately go to university - including for competitive courses such as medicine. If anything, I'd argue that taking exams as a private candidate argues a greater level of commitment and organisation compared to a student who takes exams having attended lessons.
AmbaJade
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think on of the things the universities are worried about when it comes to private candidates is how they're studying ie. are they doing it through a centre or completely on their own. When I went to visit an open day and tried to explain my situation to the head of biology he seemed concerned about my predicated grades coming from me, but then I explained that I'm doing it through N.E.C so my grades will come from an outside tutor. I think studying as a private candidate also shows a lot of determination, independence, motivation and passion, all of which universities want to see. Also work hard on getting work experience and other bits to add to your application which they'll love.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
6.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (6)
19.35%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (3)
9.68%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
9.68%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
35.48%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (6)
19.35%

Watched Threads