The Student Room Group

The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2017-2018)

CA EDIT: Similar threads to this for 2018-2019 should be up and running after GCSE results day.

Hi everyone, thought I'd make a thread for the new year 11s who finish secondary school in 2018 where we can just chat/share study tips/whatever. Should be nice to get to know people in the same boat (especially with this new grading system).

So just to get to know a bit about each other, tell us:
1) What you study
2) Your predicted grades
3) The grades you're aiming for
4) What you're planning to do after high school
5) How you're feeling about starting year 11
6) Anything else about yourself

About me:
1) English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, French and Religious Studies
2) Predicted 7-9 in all subjects
3) Aiming for at least all 7s, hopefully mostly 8s and some 9s if I'm lucky :biggrin:
4) Hopefully study Biology, Maths and Geography at sixth form with an EPQ. Then a gap year, then either a biological science degree, Geography degree or something to do with medicine/nursing.
5) Excited but incredibly nervous
6) I play guitar & ukulele, I love The Script, I've got a dog and I love to play football too :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pepzi_Kola
Hi everyone, thought I'd make a thread for the new year 11s who finish secondary school in 2018 where we can just chat/share study tips/whatever. Should be nice to get to know people in the same boat (especially with this new grading system).

1) What you study
2) Your predicted grades

About me:
1) English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, French and Religious Studies
3) Aiming for at least all 7s, hopefully mostly 8s and some 9s if I'm lucky :biggrin:
4) Hopefully study Biology, Maths and Geography at sixth form with an EPQ. Then a gap year, then either a biological science degree, Geography degree or something to do with medicine/nursing.
6) I play guitar & ukulele, I love The Script, I've got a dog and I love to play football too :smile:

Best of luck for a great year :smile:
1) What you study:
English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History,Spanish and Religious Studies and Art
2) Your predicted grades
8's
6,7 and 8's
No flipping idea.lol.
scared a little bit and thinking what if I fail everything
Just let me sleep,eat and watch movies.
Original post by tamil fever
1) What you study:
English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History,Spanish and Religious Studies and Art
2) Your predicted grades
8's
6,7 and 8's
No flipping idea.lol.
scared a little bit and thinking what if I fail everything
Just let me sleep,eat and watch movies.

Don't you have a 10 hour exam for Art? Ouch... :biggrin:

They're great predicted/aiming for grades! I had no idea about what I wanted to do either up until recently. I also keep having the thought of failing everything, but that's keeping me motivated to try my best :smile: And same with the sleep - one of my many talents :wink:
1) What you study
English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Religious Studies,Spanish, French, History and Business
2) Your predicted grades
7s and 8s
minimum of all 7s but a couple of 8s and 9s hopefully
Not certain yet but I hope to be studying Psychology, Biology, Spanish and French or Chemistry at A-Level and I still have no clue what to do at uni but so far I'm looking at criminology or medicine.
Surprisingly excited but at the same time the idea of GCSEs is still daunting, however a bit optimistic
I'm a twin and I play the piano :smile:
Original post by MeganDA
1) What you study
English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Religious Studies,Spanish, French, History and Business
2) Your predicted grades
7s and 8s
minimum of all 7s but a couple of 8s and 9s hopefully
Not certain yet but I hope to be studying Psychology, Biology, Spanish and French or Chemistry at A-Level and I still have no clue what to do at uni but so far I'm looking at criminology or medicine.
Surprisingly excited but at the same time the idea of GCSEs is still daunting, however a bit optimistic
I'm a twin and I play the piano :smile:

They sound like awesome A levels :smile: I was considering psychology but my love of geography overruled it :biggrin: I'd love to have a twin tbh. I've also always wanted to play piano and will hopefully be learning it soon :smile:
Reply 6
Hi, I'm James and i'm new to TSR (I've been reading loads of threads for ages tho :biggrin:)
1) What you study:
I'm taking 11 GCSE's, in English Lit and Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, History, Latin, Italian and I took French this year.
I'm also doing FSMQ Additional Maths - very unprepared for this!

2) Your predicted grades
I'm predicted 8s for everything except Maths and Latin (9) And Biology (7)

I hope to get 8s for everything - unlikely to get the 9 but I'll try lol
And I need an 8 in Biology for sixth form :crossedf:

4) What you're planning to do after high school:
I'm applying for 6th form to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics at A-level
I want to do Medicine at Cambridge, or maybe a London uni like UCL.

Hella nervous - Year 10 went by so quickly and now GCSE's are round the corner...

I play the violin, piano and saxophone :smile:
1) What you study:
English Lit and Lang, Maths, Double Science, History, RE, Art, Latin and Ancient Greek (which I am very unprepared for)

2) My predicted grades:
7's and above

3) The grades you're aiming for:
I'd like to get 8's and above in everything, but for sciences, i'd settle at a 7 because I'm not good with them.

Carrying to the sixth form to do English Lit, Art and Classics and study one of them or some combination at a university.

5) How are you feeling about starting Year 11
Nervous but optimistic, I'm not doing badly so I need to stop freaking out

My name's Steph, I spend a lot of time watching films, don't do that much else lol :smile:

1) What you study
2) Your predicted grades

About me:

1) English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, R.E, French, Geography, Economics, Computer Science, (Considering doing Further Maths privately)
2) Predicted 7s for most of my subjects, 6 for English, 8 for Maths, Computer Science and Geography
3) Aiming for 8s and 9s in every subject. I don't see why I couldn't get the grades...
4) A Level Computer Science, Further Maths, Physics and an EPQ
5) Relieved as I'm supposed to change bands and my classes in Year 10 were terrible
6) I'm a computer nerd
1) What I study:
English Language, English Lit, Religious Studies
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths
Art, Graphics and Home Economics

2) My predicted grades
Can't remember, around 6s and 7s

3) Aiming for:
4-6 for Chemistry and Physics and above for all the others

4) After secondary school plans
Study English lit, Maths and Biology in 6th Form and don't have a clue about what i want to do afterwards

5) How are you feeling about year 11?
It hasn't even hit me yet

6) Anything else?
I'm the biggest procrastinator and i hate that i chose two creative subjects since there's a workload of homework and i haven't even started any of my summer pieces, RIP.
Hi everyone. I've changed my career plans (I'm so indecisive πŸ˜‚). I'm hoping to do medicine at a really good Uni. At sixth form I'll do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and maybe FM. Will also do an EPQ at some point. I'm taking a gap year after sixth form too, so I can focus more on my studies than UCAS applications, and get a load of work experience too. Back to school next week for me :frown:

Original post by j.rtm_
Hi, I'm James and i'm new to TSR (I've been reading loads of threads for ages tho :biggrin:)
1) What you study:
I'm taking 11 GCSE's, in English Lit and Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, History, Latin, Italian and I took French this year.
I'm also doing FSMQ Additional Maths - very unprepared for this!

2) Your predicted grades
I'm predicted 8s for everything except Maths and Latin (9) And Biology (7)

I hope to get 8s for everything - unlikely to get the 9 but I'll try lol
And I need an 8 in Biology for sixth form :crossedf:

I'm applying for 6th form to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics at A-level
I want to do Medicine at Cambridge, or maybe a London uni like UCL.

Hella nervous - Year 10 went by so quickly and now GCSE's are round the corner...

I play the violin, piano and saxophone :smile:

Hii :biggrin: They sound like awesome aspirations, and yeah I agree - year 10 flew by!

Original post by candylilymay
1) What I study:
English Language, English Lit, Religious Studies
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths
Art, Graphics and Home Economics

2) My predicted grades
Can't remember, around 6s and 7s

3) Aiming for:
4-6 for Chemistry and Physics and above for all the others

4) After secondary school plans
Study English lit, Maths and Biology in 6th Form and don't have a clue about what i want to do afterwards

5) How are you feeling about year 11?
It hasn't even hit me yet

6) Anything else?
I'm the biggest procrastinator and i hate that i chose two creative subjects since there's a workload of homework and i haven't even started any of my summer pieces, RIP.

I'm always procrastinating too πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Let's hope we both stop that habit soon xD
What I study
double eng triple science further maths(did maths a year early got a 9 :smile:) RE computing and french

Predicted grades
Mostly 7s and 8s hoping for 9s in a few subjects

After secondary school
Ha i have no clue

How are you feeling about y11
uh oh....

Anything else?
I'm addicted to watching GOT and enjoy talking about politics
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi, I study;
English Language-already done my gcse and I got a 6
English Literature- predicted 5/6, I want a 6
Maths-predicted a 7/8, I want a 7/8
Biology- predicted a 7, I want a 7
Chemistry- predicted a 7, I want a 7
Physics- predicted a 7, I want a 7
Spanish- predicted a 5/6, I want a 5
Geography- predicted a 7, I want a 7
Philosophy and Ethics- predicted a 7, I want a 7
Business Studies- predicted an A, I want an A/A*

I want to go sixth form after high school to study maths, business and sociology.

I'm scared for year 11 but I think I know what I need to do to get good grades.

I love dance and attend classes three times a week but after xompetitions in march I'm going to tale a break to revise for GCSEs. Also, every year I take part in the school musical which I love and I am on the school netball team
Reply 13
Hiiiiiii
1) I'm studying, triple science maths English, history, French, religious studies and computer science
2) in predicated mostly 7s and a 9 in chemistry. I know I ain't getting that m.
3) aiming for 7s and 8s. I know 9 is for when pigs fly.
4) I'm scared but quite determinate to revise really well. God willing.
5) I plan to study maths, biology, chemistry and history
6) any revision tips??!
1)what i study? 2)Predicted grades?
English lit-7
English lang -7
Maths -7
Double science -7
History -8
Spanish -7
Media-8
PE- level 2 merit
RE- 8

3)Aiming for?
7 and 8s and hopefully a 9 for history and media

4)After secondary school plans....
Study history, sociology, psychology and/or english lit

5) how are you feeling about the year?
Excited as i feel as if is going to be a good year . But scared as hell cos its gonna be so stressful

6) Anything else?
Im the biggest stresser especially when it comes to school but hopefully year 11 will be good

1) What you study
2) Your predicted grades

About me:

1) English Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, ICT, Citizenship, History and Arabic.

2) I'm predicted 7-9 in all subjects and A* in Arabic and History.

3) I'm aiming for 7's hopefully i can achieve that fingers crossed :smile:

4) I want to study Maths, Biology and Psychology and after that i honestly don't know.

5) super excited but don't know what to expect.

6) I love watching criminal minds, reading books, watching and playing tennis and football.

Wishing everyone luck :smile:
I'm in year 12, but whatever. Guys, just to tell you. Sweat it out this year because GCSEs will be around the corner before you know it. Otherwise, you got a real sh#%storm coming. I got 6 A* 5A and slightly regretted not revising harder for chemistry and biology. But, I did get full marks in maths and almost full in further maths!
1) What you study
Maths (Edexcel)
English language & literature (OCR)
Biology, Chemistry, Physics ( AQA),
RS (AQA A),
Geography (Edexcel),
ICT (Edexcel- and I hate it),
French ( Edexcel)

2) Your predicted grades 8s

3) The grades you're aiming for 8s and 9s

Study Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics at sixth form maybe

Conflicted because sleeping for the rest of the year looks promising but I want to get the grades needed soo I'm ready to work and get it over with

My time is usually spent reading, researching topics with nothing to do with me and reviving my soul with music- I do not do much:redface:
Original post by udd06a
Hiiiiiii
1) I'm studying, triple science maths English, history, French, religious studies and computer science
2) in predicated mostly 7s and a 9 in chemistry. I know I ain't getting that m.
3) aiming for 7s and 8s. I know 9 is for when pigs fly.
4) I'm scared but quite determinate to revise really well. God willing.
5) I plan to study maths, biology, chemistry and history
6) any revision tips??!

Hii :smile: We're both planning on doing the same A levels apart from History. What careers are you thinking of?

As for revision, I use LOADS of flashcards which helps active learning and recalling information, as well as reading the specifications and CGP guides. After New Year I'll start on past papers after I've revised all the content. Good luck for this year :biggrin:

Original post by criminalmindsxx
1) English Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, ICT, Citizenship, History and Arabic.

2) I'm predicted 7-9 in all subjects and A* in Arabic and History.

3) I'm aiming for 7's hopefully i can achieve that fingers crossed :smile:

4) I want to study Maths, Biology and Psychology and after that i honestly don't know.

5) super excited but don't know what to expect.

6) I love watching criminal minds, reading books, watching and playing tennis and football.

Wishing everyone luck :smile:

I love football too xD Good luck to you too!

Original post by chinkilicious
I'm in year 12, but whatever. Guys, just to tell you. Sweat it out this year because GCSEs will be around the corner before you know it. Otherwise, you got a real sh#%storm coming. I got 6 A* 5A and slightly regretted not revising harder for chemistry and biology. But, I did get full marks in maths and almost full in further maths!

Thanks for the advice :smile:

Original post by good mourning
1) What you study
Maths (Edexcel)
English language & literature (OCR)
Biology, Chemistry, Physics ( AQA),
RS (AQA A),
Geography (Edexcel),
ICT (Edexcel- and I hate it),
French ( Edexcel)

2) Your predicted grades 8s

3) The grades you're aiming for 8s and 9s

Study Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics at sixth form maybe

Conflicted because sleeping for the rest of the year looks promising but I want to get the grades needed soo I'm ready to work and get it over with

My time is usually spent reading, researching topics with nothing to do with me and reviving my soul with music- I do not do much:redface:

I think we'd all love to sleep for the rest of the year πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I hope you get the grades you want!
1) What you study:
Maths (OCR)
Further Maths (AQA FSMQ)
English Literature (AQA)
English Language (AQA)
Biology (AQA)
Chemistry(AQA)
Physics(AQA)
Geography(AQA)
Computer Science (AQA)
Religious Studies (OCR already done in year 10 A*)

2) Your predicted grades:
9s: Maths, English Literature and English Language, Biology, Chemistry, Geography
8s: Physics, Computer Science, French
Don't know about FM though bc we're starting it this year

3) The grades you're aiming for:
I'm probably not going to get 9s in English and Geography despite my predictions because my teachers are wayyyy too optimistic. Aiming for at least four 9s, and the rests 8s.

Sixth-form/ A-levels studying: Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Chemistry. Don't really know what I'm going to do with my life, but right now I'm leaning towards studying Economics or Finance at uni.

5) How you're feeling about starting year 11:
So unprepared like Computing NEA is in a month and I can still barely write a program. Got so much stuff to learn by heart for English and there's a ton of revision to do and mocks are in 3 months and I'm just so stressed.

6) Anything else about yourself:
I play the saxophone, am a black belt in Karate and spend wayyy too much time on Netflix.

Latest