The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iahmed512
No, the gap between a 4 and 5 is normal but there is a bigger gap between 8 and 9 for example, which makes sense.

Right. I just feel it’s really big. Hopefully I’ve done well enough for a 5.
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
Right. I just feel it’s really big. Hopefully I’ve done well enough for a 5.

Yeah don't worry, hopefully you will or even do better than that.
When do the grade boundaries get released? Is it the night before results day?
And when will there be an official thread made for GCSE Results Day 2018?
Original post by salex413
When do the grade boundaries get released? Is it the night before results day?
And when will there be an official thread made for GCSE Results Day 2018?

The morning of results day. 6am for Edexcel/OCR and 8am for AQA iirc
There's an official thread in the GCSE forum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I’m going to look at the grade boundaries after getting my results because I know if I see the boundaries before I’m going to turn up disappointed before I’ve even opened them
if you get a 6 it roves your smart right???
Original post by Sports10

nah. A 6 in maths is piss easy to get, its like 35 marks a paper, and i'm garbage at english but still get 6s in practice papers soooooooooooooo nah. When you get to the grade 7s, 8s and 9s then sure.
Original post by Sports10

No it's alright, but not bad though, and is still good, a 7 or above is.
Hiya everyone :h: All of the new year group threads are posted after GCSE Results Day every year, so we need someone (preferably someone who has been active on this thread) to make the 2018-2019 Year 12 thread! If any prior agreements on who the OP will be have been made, can someone please let me know? Otherwise, it's going to be first come first served :smile:

Please don't post the thread once you've made it, just draft it out in a word doc so you can have it ready to post after GCSE Results Day :h:
Original post by Gingerbread101
Hiya everyone :h: All of the new year group threads are posted after GCSE Results Day every year, so we need someone (preferably someone who has been active on this thread) to make the 2018-2019 Year 12 thread! If any prior agreements on who the OP will be have been made, can someone please let me know? Otherwise, it's going to be first come first served :smile:

Please don't post the thread once you've made it, just draft it out in a word doc so you can have it ready to post after GCSE Results Day :h:

Hi, cool stuff! This thread was active before but died down afterwards imo. Hopefully the year 12 thread will be better.
Original post by carlypower9
Hi, I study;
English Language-already done my gcse and I got a 6
English Literature- predicted 5/6, I want a 6
Maths-predicted a 7/8, I want a 7/8
Biology- predicted a 7, I want a 7
Chemistry- predicted a 7, I want a 7
Physics- predicted a 7, I want a 7
Spanish- predicted a 5/6, I want a 5
Geography- predicted a 7, I want a 7
Philosophy and Ethics- predicted a 7, I want a 7
Business Studies- predicted an A, I want an A/A*

I want to go sixth form after high school to study maths, business and sociology.

I'm scared for year 11 but I think I know what I need to do to get good grades.

I love dance and attend classes three times a week but after xompetitions in march I'm going to tale a break to revise for GCSEs. Also, every year I take part in the school musical which I love and I am on the school netball team

How did u study for business Studies?
Original post by PU_Student
I am starting Year 11 this year to finish in 2019 but I guess that counts anyway??
I study..................Predicted..........In reality what I'm aiming for
Maths......................9.......................................9
Eng Lit.....................9......................................9
Eng Lang.................9.....................................9
Computer Science...9.....................................9
Physics....................9.....................................8
Biology.....................9.....................................9
Chemistry................9......................................8
Spanish ..................9......................................9
Religious Studies....9......................................9
Geography..............9......................................9
Statistics.................9......................................9

4) What you're planning to do after high school
Do my A-levels, thinking of Maths, Computer Science, Spanish?, Biology?

5) How you're feeling about starting year 11
Nervous but ready, got a lot to do but I want to do well...
Am really scared for Computer Science NEA though!!

Good Luck with your results guys! :smile:

How did u study for English language, maths, chemistry and physics? I literally suck at those subjects
Original post by SavageQueen
How did u study for English language, maths, chemistry and physics? I literally suck at those subjects

English Language - learn techniques likes: language, structure, form, etc. Use past paper questions to practice your essay writing. Also read books and extracts to gain a better vocabulary, and learn how to read between the lines of extracts so you can show the examiner that you can understand the text but always keep it relevant to the question.

Maths - its easy, just do past papers. in just 3 months, i went from a 3 to a 5, and in just one month i went from 5 to an 8. that was just with past papers too. Also make sure you understand each and every topic, and also try to learn every single equation (if you're doing foundation then just learn those)

Science - basically just like revising for maths
Original post by BenTenTacion
English Language - learn techniques likes: language, structure, form, etc. Use past paper questions to practice your essay writing. Also read books and extracts to gain a better vocabulary, and learn how to read between the lines of extracts so you can show the examiner that you can understand the text but always keep it relevant to the question.

Maths - its easy, just do past papers. in just 3 months, i went from a 3 to a 5, and in just one month i went from 5 to an 8. that was just with past papers too. Also make sure you understand each and every topic, and also try to learn every single equation (if you're doing foundation then just learn those)

Science - basically just like revising for maths

Thank u so Much! That was very helpful.But how many hours did u study math and English?
Original post by SavageQueen
Thank u so Much! That was very helpful.But how many hours did u study math and English?

No problem.
if you're talking bout how many hours i studies a day then:

Maths - I only did around 1-2 hours cuz i was pretty good at it so i could sacrifice some time off maths to spend on my weaker subjects.

English - i did about 3-5 hours cuz it was my weakest subject

science(s) - i did only 1 hour cuz it wasn't the most important for me, as i don't have to retake if i fail and i wasn't gonna continue it at alevel but if you like it and wanna do good in it then i'd suggest like 2 to 3 hours maybe.
Original post by PrincessDiaries
How did u study for business Studies?

Most of mine was coursework so didn’t really need to however for the exam we just did work in class I only got a pass with a resit but I wasn’t too bothered in year 10 however I managed to achieve an overall pass at the end of year 11 nearly a merit but I was focusing on other subjects to be honest. I know it’s not that hard to get a merit or distinction but I gave up with business studies. You just need to really try your best with the coursework as a merit or higher is what is preferred.
Original post by Marcbark143
Most of mine was coursework so didn’t really need to however for the exam we just did work in class I only got a pass with a resit but I wasn’t too bothered in year 10 however I managed to achieve an overall pass at the end of year 11 nearly a merit but I was focusing on other subjects to be honest. I know it’s not that hard to get a merit or distinction but I gave up with business studies. You just need to really try your best with the coursework as a merit or higher is what is preferred.

I'm doing BTEC business along with my alevels. Never done it before so don't know how or what i should study. The new BTECs aren't completely coursework so there will be exams i think, but i don't if its like English where i just practice my essay writing or what?
Hi everyone!
Year 11s going up to Year 12 for 2018/19, your new thread is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5541336
Year 11s in 2018/19, your new thread is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5541058
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest