The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So just to get to know a bit about each other, tell us:
1) What you study
triple science, English, maths, comp sci, business studies, history, geography, additional maths
2) Your predicted grades
bio - 9
chem - 9
phys - 9
maths - 9
eng lit - 8
eng lang - 8
comp sci - 9
business - A*
history - 7
geography - 8
3) The grades you're aiming for
8s and 9s hopefully
4) What you're planning to do after high school
a levels in bio, chem, maths and computer science
5) How you're feeling about starting year 11
almost ending year 11 now i guess (14 weeks left)
Reply 1061
anyone have any tips for edexcel gcse maths mock exam? got mine starting in a week and a half really struggling with maths. in the middle of a specimen paper and cannot do the worded questions at all...Predicted a 6...
Just got my mocks back today
Computing 6
English language 7
English lit 6
Maths 7 (one Mark away from 8)
Science 7-7
RS 5
History 5
French 4
Reply 1063
Original post by seanladd12
Just got my mocks back today
Computing 6
English language 7
English lit 6
Maths 7 (one Mark away from 8)
Science 7-7
RS 5
History 5
French 4

Can i ask what exam board your maths was on? Because i have mine soon and the specimen papers i have been doing are incredibly difficult...
Original post by S.cV
Can i ask what exam board your maths was on? Because i have mine soon and the specimen papers i have been doing are incredibly difficult...

Aqa - we got the 2017 papers
Hola c:
1)English Literature
English Language
Mathematics
Biology
Physics
Chemistry
Fine Art
History
French
2)6's and 7's
3) 7's and 8's
4) Study Psychology, Biology and Chemistry at A-level
5) pressured, stressed sometimes overwhelmed very tired
6) I like to read although I can't find time to read anymore I used to love drawing in my spare time, art coursework just killed that fun. I love movies and my music
Got my science mocks coming up, all of them are paper 1 as we haven't done all of the paper 2 stuff yet. Biology is on the 2nd Feb, Chemistry on the 5th and Physics on the 6th. Currently making mindmaps of each topic and once I'm done with that I'm going to go through and do some practice exam questions.

Apparently we also have english literature mocks after February half term, and it's both paper 1 and paper 2 so I acc wanna kms ;-;. I really hate english lit as you have to remember so many quotes including 15 poems, and you'll only use 2 of the poems in the exam! Currently my revision technique is making knowledge organisers of quotes/info for each character/theme of each text (as well as one for each poem) and sticking them up around my room so they slowly sink in. If anyone has some tips for english lit, such as how to remember quotes and how to time yourself in the exam that would be great!

And to top things off we have MORE maths mocks coming up. Which isn't too bad I guess as I'm pretty good at maths. I got a 7 in my mocks in November although it would've been an 8 if my school had used the original grade boundaries. But instead they decided to raise them, I think you needed like 180/240 for an 8 and I got 160/240 (original grade boundary was 157/240). We used the 2017 edexcel papers.
Original post by Max9874
Got my science mocks coming up, all of them are paper 1 as we haven't done all of the paper 2 stuff yet. Biology is on the 2nd Feb, Chemistry on the 5th and Physics on the 6th. Currently making mindmaps of each topic and once I'm done with that I'm going to go through and do some practice exam questions.

Apparently we also have english literature mocks after February half term, and it's both paper 1 and paper 2 so I acc wanna kms ;-;. I really hate english lit as you have to remember so many quotes including 15 poems, and you'll only use 2 of the poems in the exam! Currently my revision technique is making knowledge organisers of quotes/info for each character/theme of each text (as well as one for each poem) and sticking them up around my room so they slowly sink in. If anyone has some tips for english lit, such as how to remember quotes and how to time yourself in the exam that would be great!

And to top things off we have MORE maths mocks coming up. Which isn't too bad I guess as I'm pretty good at maths. I got a 7 in my mocks in November although it would've been an 8 if my school had used the original grade boundaries. But instead they decided to raise them, I think you needed like 180/240 for an 8 and I got 160/240 (original grade boundary was 157/240). We used the 2017 edexcel papers.

Sounds like you have science all planned out :smile: Good luck!
At least with English literature you have mocks for both of them! We never did a paper 1 mock and my Macbeth real exam was the third Macbeth essay I'd ever written :lol: If I recall correctly both exams are in the same week in the real exam anyway (and you'll have plenty of exams between them as well) so it's good practice though :smile: Honestly for English lit I wouldn't actually learn quotes for all 15 poems. Choose around 8-10 which cover all the themes and learn the quotes from them, and then just make sure you know the context for all the poems (since naturally any of them could come up and you need context for your essay).
Remembering quotes is a difficult one as people remember things differently. Personally, I wrote out a lot of quotes and then memorised them from that. Also writing a lot of essays closed book helped me as I then had to think of the quotes while trying to write the essays. After I'd written them I would go through and find quotes which backed up my point better and tended to remember them.
Timing wise you just have to be strict with yourself. Loads of practice essays helped to increase my speed, as did learning to plan my essays so I could get to the end of the paragraph and read my point and quotes for the next paragraph and just start writing. At one point (probably around Feb) it was realistically taking me around 4 hours to write a decent essay which should have been done in 45 minutes but through a lot of forcing myself to write paragraphs in 15 minutes I got there in the end :smile:
Well done on that score in maths :smile: A 7 isn't bad at all! The school deciding to raise them was actually pretty sensible (although possibly not by that much) as if you look at previous new specifications coming in then the grade boundaries do increase for the first few years in every case I've looked at since teachers get much better at preparing students for the exam and there are also more resources made for the specification, so generally better prepared students sit the exam, hence the grade boundaries rise to allow the same percentage of people to get the same grade. So while it sounds mad, your school was actually being pretty sensible :smile:
Original post by Max9874

That’s not that bad tbh. They should add marks to it bc they rise every year. 157/240 won’t be a 8 this year. Our school added 10 marks
Original post by muoniar
Hey guysss!

1) What you study
English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Religious Studies, French, History and Art!
2) Your predicted grades
7s and 8s
honestly in terms of english language and literature, i'm aiming for an 8, but if i really push myself i could probably get a 9. I'd love to get an 8 in art too. In every other subject i wouldn't mind getting 6's.
I'm not entirely sure but i've always been fond of english literature, but above all i have a long standing, strong passion for art. I have become very interested in philosophy recently, so i might study that in college. I really want to study something biology related too.
5) How you're feeling about starting year 11
Incredibly anxious. I was ill last year and missed many lessons so i feel pretty
behind in the scheme of work:frown: However, i am optimistic and am trying my best to achieve decent gcses:smile:
6) Anything else about yourself
I am absolutely terrible at maths, to the point that it gives me anxiety. I'm an artist, not that i've mentioned that already hahah! I have just recently received an electric guitar for my 16th birthday and i cant wait to learn how to play it once our gcses are out of the way! I have recently been lured in by the weeaboos, yes i am a fan of anime, and my personal favourite so far is Death Note! I love to sing and love a good meme:smile:

Anime!!!!!!!
Overall my year group performed really bad in the November mocks we had 4's,5s' for Sciences
I got a 6 in English Language but I aim for an 8 in English
Maths was the worst they sent 'concern letters' home and made us buy more books I got a 4 in Maths
and my target grades are 6's and 7's!
Any advice??

my main revision techniques ;
Notes
Exam Questions
mind maps
Some Flash cards
1) What you studyMaths (already got an A* last year), Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, Geography, German and English Lit and Lang2) Your predicted gradesAll A*s in the iGCSE subjects (Physics and Chemistry) and 9s and 8s in everything else3) The grades you're aiming forAll top grades4) What you're planning to do after high schoolI want to do an apprenticeship in bricklaying with my mates dad and also an NVQ in hair and beauty with his mum (pm me if you want his details, top opportunity for anyone around yorkshire)5) How you're feeling about starting year 11Very excited to see how my bricklaying apprenticeship goes6) Anything else about yourself My dad says I have a personality of a brick and my girlfriend says im as good as a brick in the bedroom
does anyone know the citizenship November mock questions
Original post by Lemur14
Sounds like you have science all planned out :smile: Good luck!
At least with English literature you have mocks for both of them! We never did a paper 1 mock and my Macbeth real exam was the third Macbeth essay I'd ever written :lol: If I recall correctly both exams are in the same week in the real exam anyway (and you'll have plenty of exams between them as well) so it's good practice though :smile: Honestly for English lit I wouldn't actually learn quotes for all 15 poems. Choose around 8-10 which cover all the themes and learn the quotes from them, and then just make sure you know the context for all the poems (since naturally any of them could come up and you need context for your essay).
Remembering quotes is a difficult one as people remember things differently. Personally, I wrote out a lot of quotes and then memorised them from that. Also writing a lot of essays closed book helped me as I then had to think of the quotes while trying to write the essays. After I'd written them I would go through and find quotes which backed up my point better and tended to remember them.
Timing wise you just have to be strict with yourself. Loads of practice essays helped to increase my speed, as did learning to plan my essays so I could get to the end of the paragraph and read my point and quotes for the next paragraph and just start writing. At one point (probably around Feb) it was realistically taking me around 4 hours to write a decent essay which should have been done in 45 minutes but through a lot of forcing myself to write paragraphs in 15 minutes I got there in the end :smile:
Well done on that score in maths :smile: A 7 isn't bad at all! The school deciding to raise them was actually pretty sensible (although possibly not by that much) as if you look at previous new specifications coming in then the grade boundaries do increase for the first few years in every case I've looked at since teachers get much better at preparing students for the exam and there are also more resources made for the specification, so generally better prepared students sit the exam, hence the grade boundaries rise to allow the same percentage of people to get the same grade. So while it sounds mad, your school was actually being pretty sensible :smile:

Thank you for your tips and advice. My teacher says we have to know quotes from all 15 poems but I might just learn a few that cover all of the themes. I'm not sure how I'm going to learn quotes but I might just put them up in my bedroom so I read them subconsciously all the time, and then continually test myself.

I kinda want to practise writing essays but most of the time I have zero motivation to do so. They just take so long to write and feel tedious, plus in the exam I will have to write multiple essays one after the other. Generally when I practise at home I work a lot slower than in the exam rook for some reason.

A 7 is kinda good in maths but I know I can do better and want to get an 8 or possibly even a 9 so I can study further maths at A-Level. I see all these people on TSR getting high grades for maths and I wish I could get that high as well, but I'm struggling to find the motivation to revise maths atm.
Original post by Max9874
Thank you for your tips and advice. My teacher says we have to know quotes from all 15 poems but I might just learn a few that cover all of the themes. I'm not sure how I'm going to learn quotes but I might just put them up in my bedroom so I read them subconsciously all the time, and then continually test myself.

I kinda want to practise writing essays but most of the time I have zero motivation to do so. They just take so long to write and feel tedious, plus in the exam I will have to write multiple essays one after the other. Generally when I practise at home I work a lot slower than in the exam rook for some reason.

A 7 is kinda good in maths but I know I can do better and want to get an 8 or possibly even a 9 so I can study further maths at A-Level. I see all these people on TSR getting high grades for maths and I wish I could get that high as well, but I'm struggling to find the motivation to revise maths atm.

Some quotes from all poems... Well maybe if you really want to?
I'd say 8-10 is plenty to know loads of quotes for though, as long as you have context for them all :smile:
For practicing essays you don't have to always write a whole one. Practice planning them, challenge yourself to write a full paragraph within 10 minutes. Doesn't all have to take 45 minutes (plus procrastination time)
I'm not helpful for helping with motivation as mine is usually oh I have a exam tomorrow I suppose I better do something :facepalm:
I'm sure you can do it though :smile: Try setting aside 15 minutes to cover a topic every day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi, kinda new to this but in the stress of trying to figure out how to revise and actually start i thought i might as well join in 1) apart from your basic english maths science i study art, geography, spanish and science triple (WHYYY) 2) predicted 6/7s 3) aiming for 6/7 4) planning to hopefully go into sixth form but have no idea what path i wanna take 5) i feel stressed lol 6) big music/concert fan so that’s where all my money and life goes haha oops
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1076
Original post by chinkilicious
I'm in year 12, but whatever. Guys, just to tell you. Sweat it out this year because GCSEs will be around the corner before you know it. Otherwise, you got a real sh#%storm coming. I got 6 A* 5A and slightly regretted not revising harder for chemistry and biology. But, I did get full marks in maths and almost full in further maths!

your practically gifted
Original post by livl
your practically gifted

Na. Not really. A bit of hard work and revision. Thats all...
Reply 1078
Original post by chinkilicious
Na. Not really. A bit of hard work and revision. Thats all...

i did and still am doing that but i got a three in my english lit and maths im expected a six in all my subjects.
1) What you study
English,Maths,Triple Science,Geography,Business Studies,Spanish,Further Maths
2) Your predicted grades
9-Physics,Biology,Chemistry,Spanish.
8-Maths
7-Geography
Distinction- Business
Straight 9s with A* in Further Maths and Distinction* in Business
Chemistry,Physics,Biology and Maths at A Level. Probably Pharmacy at Uni
5) How you're feeling about year 11
Very confident. Really enjoying it
6) Anything else about yourself
I like to ask questions about why everything around us happens which explains the liking for Science. I'm also a pretty good Rocket League player tbh. Like an odd meme or two.

Latest