Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather a course with closer to home, or a course with slightly better facilities and prospects far from home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James244)
    Would you rather a Course with poorer facilities (but still enjoyable) closer to home, or a course with better facilities and prospects far from home?

The latter option.

ReputationRep:
    if you wanna be close to your parents then you could always just come and stay over with your parents every other weekend. It isn't that uncommon for uni students to go back home every now and then. It may seem like a big deal living away from home, but one you're in the new place and have settled in, it is unlikely you'll think about home that much...

ReputationRep:
    Obviously the second option.
    Question should be you have narrowed your choice to 2 unis - both if the same quality. Do you go to the one near home or the one a long way away?

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at the course content for each university if you're finding it difficult to choose between them. First year modules will be the same for most universities, so you should look at Year 2 and 3 modules for each university and see which ones you're most interested in. Most universities will have a programme outline somewhere, where they give a brief overview of each module.

Also consider the differences between living at home and out. Living at home is probably cheaper and easier in terms of already having family to help you with food and cleaning, but you might have to commute quite a bit to university. Living out will make it easier to focus on university and all the social aspects of it, but you'll need to budget by yourself for rent and food, and manage your own cooking and washing etc. They're life skills that everyone will have to learn eventually anyway, but it just comes down to whether or not you feel ready to move away from your family yet and which course you prefer.

I live at home while at university because I wanted to stay near family. I do have to commute quite a bit (about an hour there and an hour back) which costs me roughly £30 a week in London. However, I do feel like a part time student sometimes, because lectures are only a couple of hours a day, and I'm not surrounded by university students all the time when I'm at home. So another thing to consider is what you'll do with your time when you're not in lectures - will you get a part time job or spend that time with friends/family, and would it be easier to do this at home or away?
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I went from Portsmouth to Glasgow and I do not doubt that it was the task of living and working far away from home that made me into a "man".

ReputationRep:
    There isn't a choice for me as i am connected via an umbilical cord to my mother, so alas in my mothers womb must i stay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HatfieldGuy)
    Obviously the second option.
    Question should be you have narrowed your choice to 2 unis - both if the same quality. Do you go to the one near home or the one a long way away?
    I should have better worded my question, the courses aren't massively different in terms of quality. They are both accredited by the relevant organisations and claim to have employment rates above 90%

Poll
How are you feeling about your GCSE results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.